Thread: Politics and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Then you should have stopped right here instead of pontificating on your experience.
    So anyone who offers you advice is 'pontificating?' So what do you call it when you are maligning other people professions?

So according to you, American teachers are well informed enough to teach High School kids the entire Australian history? Can you?
    blue, I was referring to subjects in general not to Australian history. Sorry for the confusion.

HS American History class barely scratches the surface, that is why there are college majors in the subject.
    We could devote and entire thread to this topic of "scratching the surface". could it be taught in a better way? Yes, but most of that has to do with expectations by teacher and parents of students.

I prefer telling someone, "I dont know, but lets find out what or why." It just seems more honest then BSing someone.
    I so totally agree. It depends upon the question. If it's an off subject question, I re-direct, usually telling them to ask a teacher of that subject. If it's my subject of math, it depends upon how advance or 'esoteric' their question is. And also if it their question is related to fields that I like to study. I usually say, "give me a few minutes to prepare an explanation" rather than "I do not know" because the latter can spark derisive comments. American students these days are rude and crude, something you seem to be familiar with. The goal is to NOT give them ammunition with which to disrupt class.

ETA: When it comes out that you are BSing, stalling for time, your students, what does that do to your credibility as a teacher? My dad has the same attitude you do and he taught debate back in the '60s. Its a BS tactic that will bite you in the a$$.
    Since as a teacher I have an enormous amount of activity on my part and the students part to direct each class period, stalling for time is a management skill, not just BSing. While I love a good academic debate with my students, most principles are arrogant a$$es, who love to reprimand you for being off topic. So I re-direct and keep to the topic of the day.

As a Wireman and crew chief I agree most of the younger generation just wants to be entertained. When I was in school we where there to learn not wait for the teacher to entertain us. The teachers I had where not entertainers the teachers today seem to be. If you wanted to be an entertainer maybe you should teach drama class.
    I'm assuming you are not talking to me, since no where did I say I wanted to entertain. I have been fighting that since I started teaching. However I do think education does need to be interesting. We bore the children out of wanting to learn. This still goes back to parenting. Parents need to be involved in their child's education. They do not need to be in CONTROL of every aspect of the education system, if only because too many of them are thinking of the short term and not long long term.

Public school teachers are limited in what they can and cant teach, its called a curriculum.
    Really ????? I didn't know. So that's why my boss makes me read them and produce pacing guides, unit plans, and lesson plans based upon the curriculum.

Teachers follow it to get there students to pass tests in order to prove their worth as a teacher. If the student learns nothing other then how to pass those tests what have they learned? How to pass those tests. Music teachers would be an exemption.
    I dislike having my worth proved by a student test taken by a student that doesn't give a d@mn about their education. And I agree with your statement about teaching to the test. For years I fought teaching to the test. I lost.

Im sorry you feel arrogant enough to feel I think I "feel dumb". Ive taught apprentices geometry when they failed algebra in HS. Ive done what Educated Teachers have failed at with students they gave up on.
    So why did you complain about arrogant people? I know I can be arrogant, but I suspect that you think anyone that displays self-confidence is arrogant and that is YOUR problem.

Can you calculate a electrical load for a 2500 square foot house? If I gave you the specs for a custom computer to be used for high definition video editing how long would it take you get me a build and cost list? I trained my own replacement for computer repair and virus mitigation at my last job.
    No that is specialized knowledge, just like my specialized knowledge of math. I routinely calculate "fresh" problems in the classroom accurately in my head. This freaks them out and then I show them how to do it. I point out that this is my specialty. All the way up to The Calculus. I am required to be an expert in several fields, just not a few.

I didn't disparage your knowledge base of any field. I just told you to stop complaining about people that are arrogant. I didn't call you dumb but you are acting as if you feel like we are calling you dumb.

Can I spell well or use good grammar most of the time? Ill be the first to answer no.
    You and most people. It's not ability; it's a matter of priorities for most people. Mot just don't think it's important.

Do I "feel dumb"? Not from arrogant people on this board I dont. If IM on a job, any job, and I miss something obvious I should have noticed on my own, I may feel dumb until I get the mistake corrected then I feel pretty dang good about myself.
    1. Then why were you complaining. AGAIN. If you don't feel maligned, let the arrogant person be. Ignore them. If they are half-way smart, they'll get the message.

2. Good for you. Why don't you use that positive feeling on this board and make some positive contributions to our discussion without sounding like a misanthrope.

You should have listened to you mother, because she's right.
    Seems like you could learn this lesson, too.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    So anyone who offers you advice is 'pontificating?' So what do you call it when you are maligning other people professions?
    You werent offering advice, you where lecturing.

blue, I was referring to subjects in general not to Australian history. Sorry for the confusion.
    Thank you.

We could devote and entire thread to this topic of "scratching the surface". could it be taught in a better way? Yes, but most of that has to do with expectations by teacher and parents of students.
    In Anchorage its more about the expectations of the school administration and their funding. If the students arent learning the administration doesnt care as long as they pass the tests and graduate so they can get their funding. So if the teachers dont get the kids to pass the test, the administration gets angry.

More and more teachers and the school system are being used as babysitters and scapegoats for bad parenting, and that pisses me off as much as bad/lazy/unionized teachers.

I so totally agree. It depends upon the question. If it's an off subject question, I re-direct, usually telling them to ask a teacher of that subject. If it's my subject of math, it depends upon how advance or 'esoteric' their question is. And also if it their question is related to fields that I like to study. I usually say, "give me a few minutes to prepare an explanation" rather than "I do not know" because the latter can spark derisive comments. American students these days are rude and crude, something you seem to be familiar with. The goal is to NOT give them ammunition with which to disrupt class.
    I apologize, what you do is not stalling and you should smack the person who told you to stall in the face for telling you to do so. If a student is disrupting class remove them, let the administration deal with them its what they are paid to do.

Since as a teacher I have an enormous amount of activity on my part and the students part to direct each class period, stalling for time is a management skill, not just BSing. While I love a good academic debate with my students, most principles are arrogant a$$es, who love to reprimand you for being off topic. So I re-direct and keep to the topic of the day.
    Stalling is BSing. Part of what I do is paid to stall, so I know Im BSing when I do it. The difference between myself and my coworkers is I explain why i am stalling/BSing.

I'm assuming you are not talking to me, since no where did I say I wanted to entertain. I have been fighting that since I started teaching. However I do think education does need to be interesting. We bore the children out of wanting to learn. This still goes back to parenting. Parents need to be involved in their child's education. They do not need to be in CONTROL of every aspect of the education system, if only because too many of them are thinking of the short term and not long long term.
    Bored. I guess that proves you are a math teacher, so you get a pass.

I had a physics teacher who recognized I had a grasp off the subject, he also wound up being my university mountaineering professor at the same time. He rode my a$$ in both classes. I didnt score well in my HS physics class but he told me after graduation I did better then the A+ students at grasping the fundamentals. Im beginning to think you should jump to private education the first chance you get.

Really ????? I didn't know. So that's why my boss makes me read them and produce pacing guides, unit plans, and lesson plans based upon the curriculum.
    You still have to stick to the curriculum. Ild be really danged impressed if you took your students onto a job site and watch and learn math the way a lot of us tradesmen did, with a tape measure and pencil.

I dislike having my worth proved by a student test taken by a student that doesn't give a d@mn about their education. And I agree with your statement about teaching to the test. For years I fought teaching to the test. I lost.
    Jump to a Private School as fast as possible! You may not like me but we agree far more then we disagree. Your talents will waste in a public school environment, do not become a stereotypical public school teacher.

So why did you complain about arrogant people? I know I can be arrogant, but I suspect that you think anyone that displays self-confidence is arrogant and that is YOUR problem.
    Ill stand up to arrogance wherever I see it.

I know the difference between self-confidence and arrogance. Your arrogance led you to believe I "feel dumb". I generalized teachers when I have teachers, professors, and a Dean in my family.

I dont have a problem with self confidence, I have a problem with teachers calling me dumb when I can run circles around them in general.

No that is specialized knowledge, just like my specialized knowledge of math. I routinely calculate "fresh" problems in the classroom accurately in my head. This freaks them out and then I show them how to do it. I point out that this is my specialty. All the way up to The Calculus. I am required to be an expert in several fields, just not a few.
    But you do math! Building a computer or wiring a house is based on math. How is that specialized? It would be giving your students a practical usage of the subject.

When I was an electrician, I taught math, geometry, and algebra to my apprentices.

I didn't disparage your knowledge base of any field. I just told you to stop complaining about people that are arrogant. I didn't call you dumb but you are acting as if you feel like we are calling you dumb.
    You did when you felt the need to lecture me.

I learned more math on my own as an electrician then I did from a public school teacher

You and most people. It's not ability; it's a matter of priorities for most people. Mot just don't think it's important.
    Yeah mot of us dont think its important.

1. Then why were you complaining. AGAIN. If you don't feel maligned, let the arrogant person be. Ignore them. If they are half-way smart, they'll get the message.
    Ignoring the arrogant only emboldens them, the arrogant are like democrats. Dont forget you Maligned me by thinking I am dumb.

2. Good for you. Why don't you use that positive feeling on this board and make some positive contributions to our discussion without sounding like a misanthrope.
    Ive tried.

Seems like you could learn this lesson, too.
    I have.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Sheesh you two. You ought to get together and write a book.

"I'm Back !!"

Huma, Uma, Oprah?

I loved the way that some news outlets (lean forward) may the Weiner story out to be a tragedy.

This moron was posting pics of himself on the 'net.

talk about a self inflated idea of self-worth?

Altho I found the yelling at his 'press conference' to be rather funny? I thought the tragedy to be that he could not get his wife on the dais w/him.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

"I'm Back !!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    WOW! & only one hydrant?

Blago guilty.

Now, if he's guilty of trying to sell the senate seat, what about the occupant?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Blago guilty.

Now, if he's guilty of trying to sell the senate seat, what about the occupant?
    You think Blago was trying to sell the occupant as well?

What I want to know is what the heck is going on in Wisconsin????

http://tpmmuckraker.talkingpointsmem...d_incident.php
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

10. Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    What I want to know is what the heck is going on in Wisconsin????

Too much cheese. It binds the....mind?
    Last edited by Edwina's Secretary; 06-27-2011 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    You think Blago was trying to sell the occupant as well?

If Blago was convicted of selling the seat, that would imply the person holding the seat purchased it. It takes two to tango.

Well.... It is going to be fun this summer watching everybody connected to Blago try to wiggle out of this.

I see a "made for TV" movie about him... On Oxygen. :P
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

If Blago was convicted of selling the seat, that would imply the person holding the seat purchased it. It takes two to tango.

Wasn't he charged with "Attempting" to sell the seat? He got no takers
    that we know of or that has been proven.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

14. Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Indeed it would. If that had been what he was convicted of. But as you stated above (and Liz reiterates) "trying to sell the seat" is not the same as "selling the seat."

I ran across this very interesting article in Rolling Stone about Michele
    Bachmann. She sounds like a potent & also scary contender for POTUS.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...y-war-20110622
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt