Thread: Politics and religion.

Okay, Gov.? Pawlenty has just joined the lunatic fringe with his "Google test".

The military is going to be thrilled to have to send out classified material for printing. (privatization of the GPO)

Fed Ex and UPS don't have the capacity to deliver the sheer volume that the USPS does. Besides, I thought he was a conservative? I think there's a little item in the establishment clause of the Constitution which would make complete privatization of the USPS problematic.......

AMTRAK is making money in some operations, I'm sure privatizing the Northeast corridor would go well, but you could kiss passenger rail in the country goodbye everywhere else, just when it's starting to become attractive to some people (thank you, TSA)

As to his comments about lean six sigma streamlining the Pentagon.......have you looked at your procurement costs lately in those areas, Governor?

Please, can we dredge up a serious candidate? PLEASE?????

If I have to listen to their drivel, it could at least be intelligent.

2. I see Ms. Palin's emails while governor are being released. Guess we will learn whether she has a better grasp of the English language than she does of U.S. History!

But the funniest take I have seen on this yet is here.

Really, really laugh out loud funny!
    Last edited by Edwina's Secretary; 06-08-2011 at 11:30 AM.

That is hysterical !!!

Love it!!!! Thank you!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    What (if anything) is taught in history classes in Australia about the American Revolution and Paul Revere's ride?
    Yes, we covered that.
    We did World History. That was in the curriculum when I was at school.
    I went to an Agricultural College, it leant more towards the sciences.
    Agriculture
    Farm Mechanics
    Animal Husbandry
    Biology
    Physics / Chemistry Comb.
    Mathematics
    World History
    English

And as there were only 300 students, we didn't have any choices on subjects other than Biology....if you didn't want to do that, then you did French.
    There were only two classes of about 25 students for each year, one class studied French with all of the other subjects, the other Biology.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    What (if anything) is taught in history classes in Australia about the American Revolution and Paul Revere's ride?
    And did you do Australian History ???

"I'm Back !!"

I didn't do Australian history, I learned all the Aussie history I need to know from Crocodile Dundee and Young Einstein.

I did, however, study Russian history, under the heading of know your enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    I didn't do Australian history, I learned all the Aussie history I need to know from Crocodile Dundee and Young Einstein.

I did, however, study Russian history, under the heading of know your enemy.
    There is a guy up in the Northern Territory who they call Crocodile Dundee,
    who lives his life like that.
    In the 1960's, I worked with a US mining company, and had a Dutch mate who used to help me with the prospecting work. He used to take off every now and again up to the Territory to hunt crocodiles. The last time I seen him was in 1967.
    Who knows, maybe he ended up as lunch.....

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Apparently about the same as is taught in U.S. schools about Australian history!
    We're not bothered whether you know our history or not. But I suppose those who are not so insular in your country could benefit from it as much as we could benefit from knowing your history. But I doubt you would understand.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    I doubt you would understand.
    QFT. Quoted for Truth!

ETA: If I wanted to know more about Australia's history I would rather learn about it, and how to spell its name properly, on my own then from one of our own public school teachers.

This is also why I trust Puck and Wom more then I trust our public school teachers, they wants to learn it on their own, and not just to pass a test. They dont have any agenda behind learning history other then to learn it, unlike some who try to use it as a "gotcha" moment to make someone else look dumb and to inflate their own ego and inflated self worth.
    Last edited by blue; 06-08-2011 at 04:49 AM.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

But the funniest take I have seen on this yet is here.
    What scares me about the future of our country is that people get their news, and take the commentary seriously, from Comedy Central.

Bread and circuses.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Hannah.... I am sorry sweetheart. I pray that your generation will be better stewards of our nation than Grammy's or Daddies were.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...terstitialskip

REALLY, Mr. Lind? "Economic Growth?" Good grief. Growth back to what? The previous levels of un-sustainable spending? LOL Your hero, Mr. Keynes died a rich man, for sure. But its not because of the policies he preached.

No matter who you vote for r whatever snarky comments you make. The above is not going away. Economics is the same as Natural Law. It just IS. Really. Its in those silly history book things.

---

I understand no one will want to talk about it... So try this on your own. Look at the 1920 Depression. Look at the 1933-40's Depression. Find the difference in how we recovered. (And how long each took.)
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    unlike some who try to use it as a "gotcha" moment to make someone else look dumb and to inflate their own ego and inflated self worth.
    Are there really people like that in America blue ???
    I mean, I know of one right here on this forum....but are there others ???

"I'm Back !!"

14. I have been chuckling all day at the idea of schools being expected to teach the history of all the other countries in the world.

Let's see - there are slightly less than 200 countries in the world. Each with its own history.

Conservatively - if we devote 2 weeks to a month - oh...let's average it at three weeks - to a country. That is slightly less that 600 weeks or...about 11 and one half years.

So...in the U.S. school is 12 years (not counting college or university...or pre-school..) that leaves six months over the course of 12 years to cover reading, writing, arithmetic and everything else!

Assuming a 12 month school year. Which is not reality. Reality is more like 9 months a year.

It might help the job market - as a basic education would take a long, long time and keep people out of the job market...but is it really worth it?

Expecting Australia, the U.S., Canada, Latvia, Japan, Sweden, Zambia, Brazil or any other country to teach much beyond local, country, and global is...well...silly?

I have been chuckling all day
    You don't say.
    Last time I read something like that, it was in Ripley's Believe it or Not.

"I'm Back !!"