Thread: Politics and religion.

That whole thing in Wisconsin in on hold for the moment. Judge Maryann Sumi of the Dane County Circuit Court, appointed by Republican Governor Tommy Thompson in 1998, has issued a temporary restraining order that prevents the law from taking effect.

source

2. And...

The Arizona Senate rejected five immigration bills that were intended to force the US Supreme Court to resolve the issue of citizenship for the children of non-citizens who are born in the U.S. among other immigration issues.

Seems the Republicans were a bit divided ...

Birthright Citizenship

The Senate also defeated a bill to require hospitals to contact federal immigration officials or local law enforcement if people being treated lack insurance and can't demonstrate legal status.
    The above quote is from the Fox News link Edwina's Secretary posted. I just found out that in Illinois, hospitals have the option, but are not required to contact the consulate or embassy of a patient's country of origin if the patient lacks insurance and is unable to demonstrate legal status. Or even if they can demonstrate legal status.

We have had some difficult situations at work recently where a patient is the citizen of another country and has significant health care needs (chemotherapy, intravenous nutrition, rehabilitative care, ongoing care for a high-risk pregnancy and I could go on and on). One was a lady in her 70s from a Middle Eastern country here visiting her adult child, who is a U.S. citizen. She came to the emergency department with complaints that could have been related to any number of problems, and sadly was given a life-changing diagnosis. She was here legally and while visiting her family, needed medical care. Others are not here legally and that poses another whole set of issues. Sometimes there is not much the embassy can do, but I just think they should be told. And contacting ICE, well, that just seems overly harsh to me. I don't think they can do much either.

Question: If my American husband and I are living in another country temporarily - and we have a child while we live there - is the child automatically a citizen of that country? Does the birthright citizenship scenario apply to countries other than the U.S.?

Thanks,
    elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Question: If my American husband and I are living in another country temporarily - and we have a child while we live there - is the child automatically a citizen of that country? Does the birthright citizenship scenario apply to countries other than the U.S.?

Thanks,
    elyse
    "Jus Soli" does apply to other countries the same as the USA, but not all. That is because some countries have additional criteria that must be met...read on............

Acquisition of Australian Citizenship - Birth in Australia Between 26 January 1949 and 19 August 1986, except for children born to diplomats, any person born in Australia acquired Australian citizenship by birth automatically.

From 20 August 1986 a person born in Australia acquired Australian citizenship by birth only if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

A child born in Australia (and who is not otherwise an Australian citizen) and who lives in Australia automatically acquires Australian citizenship on his or her 10th birthday, if the child has not been granted or otherwise acquired Australian citizenship in the meantime. This occurs automatically by operation of law, and applies irrespective of the immigration status of the child or his/her parents.

Children born in Australia who are stateless and not entitled to any other country's citizenship may in some circumstances be registered as Australian citizens.

"I'm Back !!"

Crazy people inciting other crazy people

All this over a book burning that happened a month ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapc...ex.html?hpt=T2
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

And now one of the crazy people wants "retribution" -

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/423865...ew_york_times/

This joker "minister" said recently that he plans to show up in Dearborn, Michigan (Detroit suburb, home to the largest Muslim community in the U.S. [and also my home town]) on September 11 this year to burn a Koran in front of a mosque.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    This joker "minister" said recently that he plans to show up in Dearborn, Michigan (Detroit suburb, home to the largest Muslim community in the U.S. [and also my home town]) on September 11 this year to burn a Koran in front of a mosque.
    Is he trying to get himself killed? He is a perfect example of a bully: push push push until someone has enough and fights back. Then he will run crying that he is a victum.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

I wonder what the Westboro Baptist Church has to say about this.

"I'm Back !!"

Quote Originally Posted by wombat2u2004 View Post
    I wonder what the Westboro Baptist Church has to say about this.
    I wonder if they are related?

Long lost siblings, perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I wonder if they are related?

Long lost siblings, perhaps?
    Hmmm, an interesting read. I think they are related. Closer than what we may think. Gives a whole new meaning to "Uncle Dad" doesn't it ???

"I'm Back !!"

I just read that the "Reverend" Mr. Jones is moving up his planned visit to Dearborn to April 22 (i.e., GOOD FRIDAY!):

------->
    ... Jones plans to join an “anti-Sharia law” protest outside the Islamic Center of America on April 22 in Dearborn, Mich., which has a large population of Arab Americans. The protest has been organized by an obscure northern Michigan militia group called “Order of the Dragon.”
    -----
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/04...ad-to-violence

He has his own wacko little church, so he's not from Westboro Baptist.. There's more than one "church" like this?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    I just read that the "Reverend" Mr. Jones is moving up his planned visit to Dearborn to April 22 (i.e., GOOD FRIDAY!):

------->
    ... Jones plans to join an “anti-Sharia law” protest outside the Islamic Center of America on April 22 in Dearborn, Mich., which has a large population of Arab Americans. The protest has been organized by an obscure northern Michigan militia group called “Order of the Dragon.”
    -----
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2011/04...ad-to-violence

He has his own wacko little church, so he's not from Westboro Baptist.. There's more than one "church" like this?
    Good God. Can't they put a stop to this imbecile ????

"I'm Back !!"

How to stop a government shut down

Well, looks like our congress has messed around and are not passing a budget - again!

Here is one way to stop them from shutting down the government:
    make it clear that no congressmembers will get a pay check either since our military men and women won't. AND no vacations for congress unless and untill the budget is passed and FINALLY all congress people and the president will all be spanked hard if they don't pass it by the end of the day. sheesh

Enought messing around you dummies!!!! It's not like making a budget is NEW. It happens (or is SUPPOSED too) every year!!!!!

BY the way, why don't we cut off monatary aid to countries who HATE us?
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

From USA Today -

By Catalina Camia, USA TODAY

Members of Congress say they'll donate their pay to the U.S. Treasury or charity if the government shuts down.

Add House Speaker John Boehner to the growing list of members of Congress who say they'll skip their paycheck if the federal government shuts down tonight.

By law, members of Congress and the president would continue to receive their pay in the event of a government shutdown.

Boehner is sending a letter to House lawmakers explaining how the House Administration can help them return their pay to the U.S. Treasury, which he plans to do.

Several lawmakers in both parties have said they will either donate their pay to charity or give it back to the U.S. Treasury if a budget deal cannot be reached and the government closes its doors at midnight.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., has joined an effort led by Sen. Joe Manchin, D-W.Va., to get members of Congress to give up their pay. Manchin's "no budget, no pay," pledge has attracted support from two dozen lawmakers, including Republicans John McCain of Arizona and freshmen senators Mark Kirk of Illinois and Pat Toomey of Pennsylvania.

Boehner's annual salary is $223,500 -- the most for a member of Congress because he is by law second in line to the presidency. Reid earns $193,400. Members outside of the top leadership group receive $174,000 for 2011.

And from FOXNews -

Not only will neither chamber pass the other's no-pay bill, but the 27th Amendment to the Constitution provides that laws changing congressional pay don't take effect until the following term.

Issa noted this concern, as did Sen. Christopher Coons, D-Del. But Coons said the Constitution wouldn't prevent lawmakers from volunteering to give up their pay.

"There is a constitutional issue here. We might have to voluntarily give back our pay in the event of a shutdown. But I think the pain here ought to be spread broadly," Coons told Fox News. "The average folks out there watching this ought to know that we in Washington get it, that a shutdown is an embarrassing failure on our part to do the job we were hired to come here and do."

Dan Weiser, spokesman for the chief administrative officer of the House, said members of Congress have to receive their paychecks by law, but that, if they don't give them to charity, they can also use them to pay down the national debt. However, The Washington Post reported last month that just a few lawmakers have gotten in the habit of doing that, and that donations from Congress to the debt totaled just $15,000 in 2010.