Thread: Politics and religion.

By decision of the USSC, the Union has to represent everyone who works under the Contract(s), whether or not they're a scab.

If you get fired from the Post Office, chances are better than even you'll get your job back, unless you were fired for a felony. Management is so competent in the USPS that regardless of how many times they lose a removal case they keep screwing up the same issues.

Management is the party who makes life in the Post Office so much fun. They are largely people who couldn't hack it in craft for one reason or another, and were promoted to a supervisory position where they couldn't do much damage. Unfortunately, they Post Office also promotes from within soo...........

There is a major call from NAPS (National Association of Postal Supervisors) for the USPS to do something about the little tyrants who are in charge, but change is hard to come by, because they'd have to remove their fellow executives. Instead of firing them, they just get moved from place to place until they retire.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I think you should just accept the "paradigm" of it..."per say"...
    Lets see...

Dictionary.com

Paradigm-
    1. Grammar .
    a. a set of forms all of which contain a particular element, especially the set of all inflected forms based on a single stem or theme.
    b. a display in fixed arrangement of such a set, as boy, boy's, boys, boys'.
    2. an example serving as a model; pattern.
    Use paradigm in a Sentence
    See images of paradigm
    Search paradigm on the Web

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
    1475–85; < Late Latin paradīgma < Greek parádeigma pattern (verbid of paradeiknýnai to show side by side), equivalent to para- para-1 + deik-, base of deiknýnai to show ( see deictic) + -ma noun suffix

—Synonyms
    2. mold, standard; ideal, paragon, touchstone."

I can accept a misuse of a word. I certainly was not an English major. My admittedly poor use of written communication is probably why I was just a "B-" student. I've just always been a better public speaker as opposed to being a writer.

Perhaps you (or any of the other English majors out there?) can explain to me how I used the word incorrectly? I ask because I was trying to convey that you needed the "standard, current thought, commonly understood standard, etc..." to be what I described.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    The Union side is paid for by the dues collections from the salaries of the workers who are Union members.

As to the USPS being funded by taxpayer money, that isn't even remotely true. Outside of the money paid by Congress for free mailing for the blind, the USPS collects no tax money.

Any more myths you'd like to perpetuate?
    No. I have to apologize for my spreading of myths and untruths. I did not think my argument through and did zero research.

I do appreciate your answers, and for correcting me.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

4. Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I can't help but wonder... don't narcissists thrive on other people's attention to them? So what would happen if Charlie Sheen suddenly stopped being tabloid front-page news? He's become so bizarre; just swing the cameras toward someone else for awhile.
    Charlie Who???

p.s. - I too hate to perpetuate but...never did I say I did any work for or in the public sector. Never have. I have always worked in the private sector - directly for many years and as a consultant. Nor did I say my company does contract negotiations. We do not.

But do carry on!

5. Quote Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
    . So if you don't join the USPS Union you are out of luck if you lose your job. Or you have to pay someone to represent you & then hopefully get your job back if you are fired. Then if you should get your job back would it be a living hell at the work place.
    Bonny - here's a little of how it works in the private sector...

The National Labor Relations Board sets the rules for the private sector. If the employees of a company vote to be represented by a union (btw...number one reason - as LH so pointly demonstrates - poor supervisors) then the company and the union begin negotiations. One of the first topics - will it be an open shop or closed shop? In a closed shop you must, after a reasonable probationary period, join the union. "Union member in good standing" is a condition of employment. In an open shop you do not have to join the union. You will still be entitled to all the benefits - wage and benefits negotiated and representation by the union if you feel you have been treated unfairly. I do not know how well represented, but represented nonetheless.

You don't find many open shops except in Right to Work states. (Not to be confused with Employment at Will - that has nothing to do with unions!)

Right to Work states, Arizona and Iowa are two that come to mind, prohibit requiring union membership as a condition of employment.

Just as they say "there are no atheists in foxholes" nothing makes a "union lover" faster than an employee whose job is on the line!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    By decision of the USSC, the Union has to represent everyone who works under the Contract(s), whether or not they're a scab.

If you get fired from the Post Office, chances are better than even you'll get your job back, unless you were fired for a felony. Management is so competent in the USPS that regardless of how many times they lose a removal case they keep screwing up the same issues.

Management is the party who makes life in the Post Office so much fun. They are largely people who couldn't hack it in craft for one reason or another, and were promoted to a supervisory position where they couldn't do much damage. Unfortunately, they Post Office also promotes from within soo...........

There is a major call from NAPS (National Association of Postal Supervisors) for the USPS to do something about the little tyrants who are in charge, but change is hard to come by, because they'd have to remove their fellow executives. Instead of firing them, they just get moved from place to place until they retire.
    Talking about management UPS seems to be able to get rid of their management but the USPS has to hang on to the idiots? Why can't they kick them out the door too? There is nothing like having to work under an idiot?

Does he really think people will buy this

Gingrich: Love of country contributed to affair

Newt Gingrich says his passion for his country contributed to his marital infidelity. In an interview posted Wednesday by The Christian Broadcasting Network, Gingrich - who recently converted to Catholicism - said he had sought God's forgiveness for mistakes in his past.

source

8. Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Does he really think people will buy this

source
    I read today it is every comedian's dream. Think of the joke potential as he has left two wives - all I suppose because his passion for his job overcame his passion for his wife? Are we to assume, if elected president, he will fool around because of his passion for the job? Or will he not be passionate for his job and instead be faithful to his third wife?

Catholic is his third religion as well. I guess three is his lucky number?

That he was going after Clinton for having an extra-marital affair at the same time HE was having an extra-marital affair.

And don't you always wonder - how does it make wife number one and wife number two feel when he waxes on about how this marriage is the right one....

But it is all okay because he has asked God for forgiveness....oh please!

The boundless hypocrisy of Mr. Gingrich here.. with nice-Catholic-Wife#3 Callista with whom he was having a nice Catholic affair while still married to Wife #2.. just takes my breath away.

"What I can tell you is that when I did things that were wrong, I wasn't trapped in situation ethics, ... "

SITUATION ETHICS? HUH?????

"I was doing things that were wrong, and yet, I was doing them," he said. "I found that I felt compelled to seek God's forgiveness. Not God's understanding, but God's forgiveness."

GOD'S UNDERSTANDING? HUH?????????

Oh, it will be SO much fun if he does decide to run!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

10. Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    "I was doing things that were wrong, and yet, I was doing them," he said. "I found that I felt compelled to seek God's forgiveness. Not God's understanding, but God's forgiveness."

GOD'S UNDERSTANDING? HUH?????????

Oh, it will be SO much fun if he does decide to run!
    Not wife number 2's understanding, not wife number 2's forgiveness????

(But of course, he was screwing her while still married to wife number one - to whom he presented his divorce demands while she was in hospital recovering from cancer surgery...so I suppose - to Newt's way of thinking - wife number 2 had it coming? After all...she DID fool around with a married man....)

Bring him on.

And let us not forget Mike Huckabee. He has the temerity to admonish Natalie Portman for being pregnant and unmarried after being less critical of Bristol Palin for doing the same thing.

Even Elisabeth Hasselbeck got on his case about that - “I think Mike Huckabee is a good guy when it comes down to it … but I really honestly beg [fellow conservatives] to kind of decide whether you’re going to condemn abortion or condemn women having children,”

If the extremists on the right and left continue to be left in charge of their respective parties then all we can expect is more of the same.

Newt and Huckabee are both severely damaged goods, and wouldn't survive the primaries (one hopes). Too many chinks in their armor for them to survive the media firestorm which would ensue if they actually were nominated.

Both the far right and the far left need to learn a few lessons........overreach does no one any good.

Eliminating collective bargaining rights for public employees in Wisconsin is going to cost the GOP just as dearly in 2012 as the foibles of the Democrat Congresas and Senate cost them in the last election.

The idealogues need to be put where they belong, on talk radio and on the Opinion page of the newspaper. You cannot build a concensus from an absolutist position.

Question about Libya

I heard on news radio that the people in Libya who are anti-Qaddafi (sp?) are upset at the U.S. for not coming to their assistance. And that the U.S. can't appear to take the side of the opposition, but also can't appear to the rest of the world to support Qaddafi because it's generally thought that he needs to go. The commentator said the best option for the U.S. at this point is to continue to encourage Qaddafi to leave, and to look at other non-military options. Is that accurate? (I missed the beginning of the story) If we want Qaddafi gone, why can't we publicly take that position? And what's the relationship between a might/might not happen situation in Libya and oil prices?

Thanks,
    elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I heard on news radio that the people in Libya who are anti-Qaddafi (sp?) are upset at the U.S. for not coming to their assistance. And that the U.S. can't appear to take the side of the opposition, but also can't appear to the rest of the world to support Qaddafi because it's generally thought that he needs to go. The commentator said the best option for the U.S. at this point is to continue to encourage Qaddafi to leave, and to look at other non-military options. Is that accurate? (I missed the beginning of the story) If we want Qaddafi gone, why can't we publicly take that position? And what's the relationship between a might/might not happen situation in Libya and oil prices?

Thanks,
    elyse
    Awwwww....they are upset about that ???? Maybe we should all go over there and sit and hold their hands for a while, maybe a shoulder to cry on.
    Perhaps then they would give us a discount on the oil ????
    I'm waiting to see what kind of fruitcake will replace Gaddafi.

"I'm Back !!"

When the posters reply
    and you just don't know why
    That's semantics.....

Sorry UPS....