Thread: Politics and religion.

The State of Arizona has very lenient laws regarding involuntary commitment.

Arizona has one of the least restrictive laws when it comes to detaining apparently mentally ill people against their will. Under the state's broad involuntary-commitment statute, the government can mandate in-patient treatment for anyone determined to be "persistently or acutely disabled." That could include a broad range of seemingly troubled individuals. By comparison, many other states limit involuntary commitment only to people shown to be a danger to themselves or others, or who are found to be completely unable to take care of themselves.
    Arizona also goes farther than many other states in defining who may initiate involuntary-commitment proceedings. In Arizona, virtually anyone who had suspected that Loughner had mental problems and needed help could have filed an application to a state-licensed healthcare agency for a court-ordered evaluation. Some states require that the application be initiated by someone close to the troubled person, among other discrete categories.
    source

2. But it is not that easy...

...some years ago, when I was working downtown Chicago, we had an employee who clearly was...well nuts. He complained of little German men who were following him around and some other strange things. I am not sure of whether he was "Righty" or "Lefty" but he did name the Klu Klux Klan and the American Nazi party - along with every employer he ever had and some others in his "pro se" lawsuit about conspiracies.

I worked with our attorney and his parents to get him involuntarily committed. It is not easy (nor should it be or everyone would be getting their ex-spouses or annoying neighbor or the like committed.)

It costs money to do it. And it is frightening. During the process there were a couple of occasions I was very nervous - as the company representative.

At that time, in Illinois, an involuntary commitment was only good for seven days. Which means - he was back out a week later. And I was again a little nervous.

So..it is easy to say "someone" should have had him committed - much, much more difficult to be that "someone."

My kook is bigger than YOUR kook.

I walked around the corner at work and saw a reserve cop that worked with us, painting faces on her hollow point .32 ammo.

I don't fear guns, it's the morons than own them, that I fear.

-------

If I do get shot by some knucklehead, I pray he and takes me down.

None of this, 15 months in the hospital and 5 years of therapy to learn to walk again nonsense.

The treatment is worse than getting shot.

No, listening to "opinion/news" shows is.

Quote Originally Posted by SinbadsMom View Post
    Sigh. Your mind is already made up, and I wouldn't even know where to start debating with anyone who thinks Mein Kampf is a "lefty favorite."
    I havent "made up" anything. I also havent made up my mind based on what the MSM wants me to believe.

The Lefts Decade of Hate. Link.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Ah, welcome to the crazy world of Michelle Malkin. No thanks.!!!
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Ah, welcome to the crazy world of Michelle Malkin. No thanks.!!!
    Hee hee,

Keith and Rachel aren't shining lights on the 'entertainment' planet, either.

Good night and good luck.

7. You want links, blue?

http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3790402

http://pr.thinkprogress.org/2010/10/pr20101028

http://mediamatters.org/research/201010260050

And look at these quotes in particular:

1. Rush Limbaugh: "I tell people don't kill all the liberals. Leave enough so we can have two on every campus – living fossils – so we will never forget what these people stood for."

2. Senator Phil Gramm: "We're going to keep building the party until we're hunting Democrats with dogs."

3. Rep. James Hansen on Bill Clinton: Get rid of the guy. Impreach him, censure him, assassinate him."

4. John Derbyshire intimated in the National Review that because Chelsea Clinton had "the taint," she should "be killed."

5. Ann Coulter: "We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too."

6. Ann Coulter: "My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times building."

7. Bill O'Reilly: "ll those clowns over at the liberal radio network, we could incarcerate them immediately. Will you have that done, please? Send over the FBI and just put them in chains."

8. Clear Channel radio host Glenn Beck said he was "thinking about killing Michael Moore" and pondered whether "I could kill him myself, or if I would need to hire somebody to do it," before concluding: "No, I think I could. I think he could be looking me in the eye, you know, and I could just be choking the life out -- is this wrong?"
    Malkin is whining about Obama saying he wants to know "whose ass to kick" after the BP oil disaster.

How does that compare to Limbaugh joking about killing liberals, or Glenn Beck musing crazily about killing Michael Moore, or a writer for the National Review saying Chelsea Clinton should be killed because she's a Clinton, or Ann Coulter saying it's a shame Timothy McVeigh didn't bomb the NY Times building?

I don't even like the "whose ass to kick" rhetoric. I wish we could get away from all the silly macho talk that too many politicians are too fond of.

But that's a long way from the most important rightwing pundits talking wistfully of killing liberals and bombing mainstream, centrist publications that aren't rightwing enough for them.

And then there's the "liberal hunting license" graphic that many on the right are so fond of:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/1...unting-license

Variations of which are offered by various rightwing sites on all sorts of items, from mugs to T-shirts to bumper stickers.

Sick messages. Violent messages. Not in any way funny, except to sick people.

Those have been around for years. Here's a 2004 Free Republic thread about them.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1158744/posts

And the Google cache of that in case the link doesn't work -- FR is having computer problems and that link seems to work only about half the time:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

There's nothing comparable on the left, whether similarly violent rhetoric from lots of liberal pundits, or sick "jokes" about hunting conservatives.

Yes, both sides need to tone it down. But the side that finds "liberal hunting license" items amusing needs to tone it down more. That sort of thing can incite real violence by unstable individuals.

And honestly, I'd have to question the mental stability of anyone who thinks the "liberal hunting license" items are amusing.

As for Michelle Malkin -- I think this column by Ezra Klein on her "thuggery" says all that needs to be said about her and her own willingness to make people targets:

http://www.prospect.org/csnc/blogs/e...=hunting_slugs

Malkin published their personal information on her website, prompting her hordes of orcish mouth-breathers to brandish their pitchforks and inundate the unsuspecting students with death threats (some of which you can read here). When the students frantically called on Malkin to remove their numbers, she posted their contact information again.
    Think of that. She knew they were getting death threats from her followers, so she posted their contact info again.

I'm done with this discussion. I'm disgusted by any attempt to justify violent rhetoric, by either side.

Cindy
    Last edited by SinbadsMom; 01-18-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Hee hee,

Keith and Rachel aren't shining lights on the 'entertainment' planet, either.

Good night and good luck.

Keith & Rachel are news commentators, not elected officials with a vote
    in Congress. There is a big difference.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Keith & Rachel are news commentators, not elected officials with a vote
    in Congress. There is a big difference.
    MIchelle Malkin is the same kind of arsehat...

----------------

What about this kind of hate/prejudicial speech?

http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vid...bor&FORM=VIRE3

ONE THING about 'qouting quotes' is that it lessens an arguement.

I really don't care who blogs or spews. It's so much funner to hear what a person says.

Not some dumb talking head that sits in front of a laptop next to the pool or some other idiot that sells 'premium subscriptions' to their websites.

I think the days of thinking for ourselves is over-may as well just post a link and not say anything?

Sigh. Your mind is already made up, and I wouldn't even know where to start debating with anyone who thinks Mein Kampf is a "lefty favorite."
    It could also be a 'righty' favorite,

It depends on which hand you hold your KINDLE in?

CALIFORNIA, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED ...... Must be true,
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

CALIFORNIA, LAND OF THE EASILY AMUSED ...... Must be true,
    LOL, it's not just my STATE...It's my planet.

Blog Entries
    Yah! MARS

No.

Seriously. You are linking DU, Think Progress and Media Matters and expect to be taken seriously?

Democratic Underground has threatened every Right Wing pundit of note with harm and/or death. Any attempt of logic or sanity in their discussion threads will get you banned.

Think Progress and Media Matters are not known for their interest in facts either.

Quote Originally Posted by SinbadsMom
    I'm disgusted by any attempt to justify violent rhetoric.
    And yet that is exactly what you have done.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Has it really been that long ago . . . . 50 years? I remember watching on TV - a cold, snowy day in January.

January 20, 1961 - Washington, D.C. The Inauguration of John F. Kennedy.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you -- ask what you can do for your country.
    http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/jfk-inaug.htm