Thread: Politics and religion.

Starting off on the right foot -

WASHINGTON — In the first two days of the new Congress , Dallas Rep. Pete Sessions cast a series of votes and participated in House committee hearings. But there was one problem: he was not officially sworn in as a member of Congress.

source

Too busy celebrating & gladhanding to observe the House rules I guess.
    There was one other member(almost) who missed swearing in on the House
    floor, but I think they finally got the record straightened out.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...ut-still-vote/
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Congresswoman shot in Arizona

Gabrielle Giffords, D-AZ, was shot in the head this morning in Tucson.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/us...s.html?_r=1&hp

ETA - up to a dozen people may have been shot, and it's being reported that some have died.
    Last edited by Grace; 01-08-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Update:

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Gabrielle Giffords, D-AZ, was shot in the head this morning in Tucson.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/us...s.html?_r=1&hp

ETA - up to a dozen people may have been shot, and it's being reported that some have died.

Isn't this tragic. Her husband is an Astronaut preparing for a mission.
    I've head that a child was killed as well as a Federal Judge. I am watching
    a news report now.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

The DBag shot and killed a 9 year old! *Edited at the request of the Mayor* thats the tragedy.

Mr DBag shooter is in custody before he could off himself, now we have to house and feed this AHole until we can try him.

ETA: If a well known Conservative female had been shot in the head many lefties, nationwide and in the news media, would have noticed A CHILD was killed. Instead they are pining over a politician because a D followed her name, the fact that a child was killed isnt as important as a left leaning judge or a Democrat politician.
    Last edited by blue; 01-08-2011 at 05:24 PM.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    The DBag shot and killed a 9 year old! And you 2 are pining over a politician. Somehow in your eyes a politician rates higher then a 9 year old child, thats the tragedy.

Mr DBag shooter is in custody before he could off himself, now we have to house and feed this AHole until we can try him.
    Blue, everywhere in the news Congresswoman Gifford's name leads the story, not the judge that was fatally shot, nor the others that are dead or injured, esp a child. She was more than likely the focus of the shooter, and thus leads the story.

I too think it is tragic that this scumbucket (too nice a word) resorted to violence to make a point and he shot or killed 18 people to make a point. It is equally sad that respect for other people and for life is not taught in our society.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

The DBag shot and killed a 9 year old! And you 2 are pining over a politician. Somehow in your eyes a politician rates higher then a 9 year old child, thats the tragedy.

Clue: This thread is about Politics. Clue: A political figure was shot in the head today.

If you were to be shot tomorrow, it would probably be noted in your local media If your Governor were shot
    tomorrow, it would be noted in the local AND National media.

National media follows National figures no matter what political party they belong to.
    Last edited by lizbud; 01-08-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: bc
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Excuse me for putting a child up as more important then a Democrat politician.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Excuse me for putting a child up as more important then a Democrat politician.
    Blue, I wonder if, in the media's case, it is that they have information on the public figures - the politicians, but don't have much info on the child, and the family may not want that info released, so they can process and mourn privately. As private citizens, we should afford them that right, as politicians, that's part of being a "public servant" - lack of privacy.
    I've Been Frosted

What's that phrase - words have consequences? Actions do, also. And postings on Facebook.

During the fall campaign season, a former Governor had a post on Facebook. A map was shown, depicting spots where Democrats (in particular, those who had voted for health care reform) were running for re-election; those Democrats were noted by crosshairs symbols like those seen through the scope of a gun. Ms. Giffords was among those on the map.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Blue, I wonder if, in the media's case, it is that they have information on the public figures - the politicians, but don't have much info on the child, and the family may not want that info released, so they can process and mourn privately. As private citizens, we should afford them that right, as politicians, that's part of being a "public servant" - lack of privacy.
    The media made the case that a Democrat politicians, or a left leaning judges, life is more important then a childs life.

What I find tragic is that others follow along with the MSM's judgment of whose life is more meaningful. The life of a child, or the life of a Democratic politician or judge. The fact that the media and the sheeples view that the politicians life was more news worthy is sickening.

Roof top voting has started.
    Last edited by blue; 01-09-2011 at 01:07 AM.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

What's that phrase - words have consequences? Actions do, also. And postings on Facebook.

During the fall campaign season, a former Governor had a post on Facebook. A map was shown, depicting spots where Democrats (in particular, those who had voted for health care reform) were running for re-election; those Democrats were noted by crosshairs symbols like those seen through the scope of a gun. Ms. Giffords was among those on the map.
    I expected this to come out, but not from you.

I don't want to put words in your mouth.... But this post makes me feel that you would be OK 'banning' speech of this sort.

Will we ever get past living our lives in fear of the lowest common denominator? There will ALWAYS be crazy people who do crazy things. Why should we inhibit our Liberty to keep ourselves "safe" from the crazy people? I mean, look at FOX/HUFFPO/MEDIA MATTERS/etc. The same insane aruguments come out every time something like this happens.

----

Armored rubber suits for all! Pre-programmed TV of ONE channel, with 'safe' content! All internet posts must pre 'approved' before posting. Organic, free range, carbon neutral tofu for all and nothing else.

Sorry, just trying to stay with the media's theme for today.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Roof top voting has started.
    Lets find out what this morons real motivation was before we say stupid things like this, ok?

Blue, the 'voting from the rooftops' thing is INSANE. Killing a civilian who posed no threat to you is MURDER. Period.

So stop it, OK?

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Last year, after her district turned up under crosshairs on Sarah Palin's "Take Back the 20" map, a chart of congressional districts whose congresspeople voted for health care reform, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords gave an interview to MSNBC. Today, sadly, her words from that interview are terrifyingly prescient:

We need to realize that the rhetoric, and the firing people up and ... for example, we're on Sarah Palin's targeted list, but the thing is, the way she has it depicted, we're in the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district. When people do that, they've got to realize that there are consequences to that action...
    source

Super. Now you can start the "Its all Palin's fault" and maybe leave ol' George alone.

Really? This is what we are coming to in this country?

Signed,
    "The Enemy"

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War