Thread: Politics and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    On the other hand, if the media didn't cover it, they'd be accused of "Islamaphobia" and hatred of Muslims, of trying to cover up the activity of a so-called Christian man and thereby favoring Christianity. Initially I was annoyed that they gave it coverage but now I see that they must do so.
    Why would they be accused of Islamophibia if they ignored this one crazy guy?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Why would they be accused of Islamophibia if they ignored this one crazy guy?
    Because it would seem like they're favoring Christianity and excusing his actions rather than exposing them for what they are.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

But they don't report all the other crazy people, are they therefore in favor of everyone else? No, they just deem it uninteresting. Ignoring them is not condoning them it's ignoring them. By covering this man's hatred, they are promoting it.
    I've Been Frosted

Reporting is not synonymous w/condoning. It may be giving that person his 15 minutes but that's all it's doing. Besides, he's already backed down and has decided not to burn the Quran.
    Blessings,
    Mary

This is truly a catch 22 situation.

The media should have just written this off as one lone idiot, but they didn't in their ever pressing chase for ratings. Screw responsible journalism, we got to get those numbers!

Regardless of WHAT happens with this nutjob, now that it has hit the national and international media, it will be used by the propaganda machine of extreme islam to twist for their own purposes.

I truly wish that someone in the media would pull their heads out of their posterior JUST ONCE......and think before they report. This isn't checkers, guys, this is chess, and the terrorists are about 10 moves ahead.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Just heard on the news that the pastor has agreed not to burn the Quran because the Imam has decided not to go ahead and build the Mosque near ground zero. The pastor is going to New York to meet with the Imam.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Westboro Baptist had to chime in......

Maybe we can kill two birds with one stone?

http://www.ocala.com/article/2010090...f-Dove-doesn-t
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    Just heard on the news that the pastor has agreed not to burn the Quran because the Imam has decided not to go ahead and build the Mosque near ground zero. The pastor is going to New York to meet with the Imam.
    According to the Imam, there is no such agreement. There may be a meeting but Rauf and the man that the pastor met with said that they intend to go ahead w/building it there as planned.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Westboro Baptist had to chime in......

Maybe we can kill two birds with one stone?

http://www.ocala.com/article/2010090...f-Dove-doesn-t
    Maybe someone should burn them.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    According to the Imam, there is no such agreement. There may be a meeting but Rauf and the man that the pastor met with said that they intend to go ahead w/building it there as planned.
    This is what really sticks in my craw. They are bound and determined to build that Mosque there no matter who it hurts but they expect everyone to be sensitive to their being upset at the burning of the Quran. I still think if you are still doing something that you know will hurt others, it's wrong. They are wrong to build that Mosque there since it hurts so many and that pastor is wrong to burn their Holy book. Both sides need some sensitivity training.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post
    This is what really sticks in my craw. They are bound and determined to build that Mosque there no matter who it hurts but they expect everyone to be sensitive to their being upset at the burning of the Quran. I still think if you are still doing something that you know will hurt others, it's wrong. They are wrong to build that Mosque there since it hurts so many and that pastor is wrong to burn their Holy book. Both sides need some sensitivity training.

Moff, I agree with you. Does anybody think our soldiers are going to be
    treated any better if there is no Koran burning? I think too much has been
    made about how this will affect us or them.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    There's already been one death in Afghanistan during demonstrations related to this. That's just one of probably many more that this God-fearing Christian pastor in FL can carry on his shoulders. What in the world is he trying to prove??? Enough already! This jerk isn't going to change any minds. If they want to build the mosque near ground zero, his actions are not going to stop it. If anything - it will probably make all involved just more determined. My opinion of course..........
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Moff, I agree with you. Does anybody think our soldiers are going to be
    treated any better if there is no Koran burning? I think too much has been
    made about how this will affect us or them.
    This is going to be a counterinsurgency , Psyops and specops nightmare.
    Point blank.

There are moderate muslims on the fence and supporting the US who will easily be pushed over to the side of the Taliban.

THanks, Rev.

I have a hard time seeing how this act falls anywhere under Christ's interpretation of the law.

Cliff notes.

Mosques have specific architectural rules in the Muslim world. The "Ground Zero Mosque" does not follow those rules. The proposed building would historically be a "Rabat", structures built in enemy territory and used for resting troops as well as training for further raids into enemy territory.

Islam center's eerie echo of ancient terror

By AMIR TAHERI

Last Updated: 8:35 AM, September 10, 2010

Posted: 5:34 AM, September 10, 2010

Should there be a mosque near Ground Zero? In fact, what is pro posed is not a mosque -- nor even an "Islamic cultural center."

In Islam, every structure linked to the faith and its rituals has a precise function and character. A mosque is a one-story gallery built around an atrium with a mihrab (a niche pointing to Mecca) and one, or in the case of Shiites two, minarets.

Other Islamic structures, such as harams, zawiyyahs, husseinyiahs and takiyahs, also obey strict architectural rules. Yet the building used for spreading the faith is known as Dar al-Tabligh, or House of Proselytizing.

This 13-story multifunctional structure couldn't be any of the above.

The groups fighting for the project know this; this is why they sometimes call it an Islamic cultural center. But there is no such thing as an Islamic culture.

Islam is a religion, not a culture. Each of the 57 Muslim-majority nations has its own distinct culture -- and the Bengali culture has little in common with the Nigerian. Then, too, most of those countries have their own cultural offices in the US, especially in New York.

Islam is an ingredient in dozens of cultures, not a culture on its own.

In theory, at least, the culture of American Muslims should be American. Of course, this being America, each ethnic community has its distinct cultural memories -- the Iranians in Los Angeles are different from the Arabs in Dearborn.

In fact, the proposed structure is known in Islamic history as a rabat -- literally a connector. The first rabat appeared at the time of the Prophet.

The Prophet imposed his rule on parts of Arabia through a series of ghazvas, or razzias (the origin of the English word "raid"). The ghazva was designed to terrorize the infidels, convince them that their civilization was doomed and force them to submit to Islamic rule. Those who participated in the ghazva were known as the ghazis, or raiders.

After each ghazva, the Prophet ordered the creation of a rabat -- or a point of contact at the heart of the infidel territory raided. The rabat consisted of an area for prayer, a section for the raiders to eat and rest and facilities to train and prepare for future razzias. Later Muslim rulers used the tactic of ghazva to conquer territory in the Persian and Byzantine empires. After each raid, they built a rabat to prepare for the next razzia.

It is no coincidence that Islamists routinely use the term ghazva to describe the 9/11 attacks against New York and Washington. The terrorists who carried out the attack are referred to as ghazis or shahids (martyrs).

Thus, building a rabat close to Ground Zero would be in accordance with a tradition started by the Prophet. To all those who believe and hope that the 9/11 ghazva would lead to the destruction of the American "Great Satan," this would be of great symbolic value.

Faced with the anger of New Yorkers, the promoters of the project have started calling it the Cordoba House, echoing President Obama's assertion that it would be used to propagate "moderate" Islam.

The argument is that Cordoba, in southern Spain, was a city where followers of Islam, Christianity and Judaism lived together in peace and produced literature and philosophy.

In fact, Cordoba's history is full of stories of oppression and massacre, prompted by religious fanaticism. It is true that the Muslim rulers of Cordoba didn't force their Christian and Jewish subjects to accept Islam. However, non-Muslims could keep their faith and enjoy state protection only as dhimmis (bonded ones) by paying a poll tax in a system of religious apartheid.

If whatever peace and harmony that is supposed to have existed in Cordoba were the fruit of "Muslim rule," the subtext is that the United States would enjoy similar peace and harmony under Islamic rule.

A rabat in the heart of Manhattan would be of great symbolic value to those who want a high-profile, "in your face" projection of Islam in the infidel West.

This thirst for visibility is translated into increasingly provocative forms of hijab, notably the niqab (mask) and the burqa. The same quest mobilized hundreds of Muslims in Paris the other day to close a whole street so that they could have a Ramadan prayer in the middle of the rush hour.

One of those taking part in the demonstration told French radio that the aim was to "show we are here." "You used to be in our capitals for centuries," he said. "Now, it is our turn to be in the heart of your cities."

Before deciding whether to support or oppose the "Cordoba" project, New Yorkers should consider what it is that they would be buying.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Blog Entries
    Is it true in Islam the family comes first, then the tribes, & then the country? I was told by a person that served in the military in Iraq that Islam is the religion & no culture goes with it. He said that there are now states in Iraq that have been set up. The tribes fight amongst each other so there is unrest inside the Islam religion itself.