Thread: Politics and religion.

1. As I was reading the article posted by Grace -- all I could think of was Truman and McArthur. Sure enough...

What gets into these guys...think because someone calls them "Sir" and puts some ribbons on their chest they don't have to follow the clearly established rules?

And I thought the military was all about "chain of command."

As if covering up, lying and spinning the death of a hero wasn't enough for McChrystal...

There is a new sheriff in town. I think he had better learn that.

If Obama is serious about Afghanistan, Iraq, and possibly Iran, he should be led by the nose by his military advisors. Obama has never run anything!

Congress, a Democrat dominated Congress, cleared McChrystal of any wrong doing in the Tillman case. If McChystal gets chastised by the POTUS, Congress should also be chastised by the POTUS. The POTUS should be publicly chastised by all of us for appointing McChrystal if he is indeed guilty of wrong doing in the TIllman coverup!
    Last edited by blue; 10-04-2009 at 10:43 PM.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

3. Was McChrystal involved in the Jessica Lynch scam in addition to the Tillman scam?

Or did someone else make all that stuff up? She was captured while firing her weapon! She was mistreated and was rescued from the horror...

Honestly...or should I say...dishonestly...

Or is it just too many John Wayne movies???

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Was McChrystal involved in the Jessica Lynch scam in addition to the Tillman scam?

Or did someone else make all that stuff up? She was captured while firing her weapon! She was mistreated and was rescued from the horror...

Honestly...or should I say...dishonestly...

Or is it just too many John Wayne movies???
    I don't think he was involved with Jessica. He was in Afghanistan; Jessica was in Iraq.

5. This is interesting....it is not quite true that McChrystal was found not to be responsible for the coverup etc. surrounding the death of Tillman.

It seems those who were called before Congress all had very bad memories. (It happens...)

Consequently, Congress could not get enough information to make a determination.

As for the Pentagon investigating itself - well...My Lai anyone?

And that is what is called...spin...

Gen. McChrystal had no place making a public speech as he did questioning the CinC's decisions.

It isn't unusual, however. Gen Shinseki, Gen. Wes Clark and others have done the same. What's unusual about Gen. McChrystal's comments are that they recieved the amount of press that they have.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Richard, do you have any thoughts about Meg Whitman who wants to run for Governor of California?

I ask, because I just read this by Susan Estrich.
    Yesterday both the LA Times and the local OC paper (slightly to the right of Atila the Hun) had editorials taking her to task for failing to vote and initially refusing to offer any explanation.

She has finally offered up that she was very busy raising her family, moving around the country for her husband's career and getting very rich (she didn't really say the last one...I helped)

It is not playing to well but she has a while for people to forget it. Probably better for her that it came out now -- so long in advance - instead of at the last minute in the campaign.

CNN fact checking an SNL skit.

Link.

Hopefully all the idiots that latched on to Tina Fey's performance as fact, will latch on to this skit as a fact as well.

Oh yeah, here is the CNN Link.

Obama not meeting with the General he appointed, a general who would resign if the CIC doesnt do His job is more irresponsable then McChrystal speaking out IMO. The same General that Congress cleared of wrong doing.

Sorry if I am putting the lives and well being of our soldiers, above free health care, or getting fined for not having health care insurance.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

9. Not Really...

Not really....

In 2007, the Army overruled a Pentagon recommendation that McChrystal be held accountable for his "misleading" actions.
    On July 14, 2008 the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform released a proposed report titled "Misleading Information from the Battlefield: The Tillman and Lynch Episodes".[28][29] The committee stated that its "investigation was frustrated by a near universal lack of recall" among "senior officials at the White House" and the military. It concluded:

The pervasive lack of recollection and absence of specific information makes it impossible for the Committee to assign responsibility for the misinformation in Corporal Tillman’s and Private Lynch’s cases. It is clear, however, that the Defense Department did not meet its most basic obligations in sharing accurate information with the families and with the American public.

Fair and balanced

From NEWSWEEK -

A Bunch of Hypocrites?
    Several Democrats, including some closed allied to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, are the subject of ethics complaints.

By Holly Bailey | NEWSWEEK

Published Oct 3, 2009

From the magazine issue dated Oct 12, 2009

Correction (published Oct. 5, 2009): This article originally reported that Rep. John Murtha was under investigation by the House ethics committee. Rather, the committee is "reviewing," not investigating political contributions he and other House lawmakers received from the PMA Group, a lobbying firm that represented Defense interests. NEWSWEEK regrets the error.

Nancy Pelosi likes to brag that she's "drained the swamp" when it comes to corruption in the House, but ethics problems could come back to haunt Democrats in 2010. Democrats are currently the subject of 12 of the 16 complaints pending before the House ethics committee. Two of the lawmakers under scrutiny—Reps. Jack Murtha and Charlie Rangel—have close ties to Pelosi, who has come under criticism for not asking them to resign their committee posts. Murtha, chairman of a key defense-appropriations subcommittee, is is not formally under investigation but the ethics committee is reviewing political contributions he and other House lawmakers received from lobbying firm whose clients received millions of dollars in Defense earmarks. Rangel, chairman of the Ways and Means Committee, is facing scrutiny for not fully disclosing assets. The ethics committee is also looking into ties between Rangel and a developer who leased rent-controlled apartments to the congressman, and whether Rangel improperly used his House office to raise funds for a public policy institute in his name. Rangel and Murtha deny any wrongdoing. (Another lawmaker under investigation: Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., who, according to the committee, "may have offered to raise funds" for then–Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich in exchange for the president's Senate seat—a charge Jackson denies. The panel deferred its probe at the request of the Justice Department, which is conducting its own inquiry.)

Pelosi has said little about Rangel's ethics problems, or those involving other Democrats; a Pelosi spokesman, Brendan Daly, e-mails NEWSWEEK, "The speaker has said that [Rangel] should not step aside while the independent, bipartisan ethics committee is investigating."

But watchdog groups, not to mention Republicans, are calling Pelosi hypocritical since Democrats won back control of the House by, in part, trashing the GOP's ethics lapses. Republicans already plan to use the ethics issue against Democrats in 2010. Though Rangel and Murtha aren't as known as Tom DeLay, the GOP poster boy for scandal in 2006, the party aims to change that: this week the House GOP plans to introduce a resolution calling on Rangel to resign his committee post. Pelosi "promised to run the most ethical Congress in history," says Ken Spain, a spokesman for the National Republican Congressional Committee, "and instead of cracking down on corruption, she promotes it." Daly responds, "Since Democrats took control of Congress, we have strengthened the ethics process."

Find this article at http://www.newsweek.com/id/216687

I guess because of McChrystal's, the Pentagon's, and Congress's involvement, Tillman's Silver Star should be returned.

None of the above behavior excuses the lack of action on McChrystal's report on Afghanistan IMO. Our Troops deserve better.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    From NEWSWEEK -
    Its probably somehow Bush's fault.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    From NEWSWEEK -
    They can just do as the military brass does and all develop "bad memories"!

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Its probably somehow Bush's fault.
    If you say so

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    If you say so
    Someway, somehow the Lefties will make the claim it was.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.