Thread: Politics and religion.

1. Is the expression ROTFLMAO?????

Makes you wonder..doesn't it...
    O'Rilley. Never watch his show or read anything he writes. I consider him the equivilant of a TV evangilist.
    I believe it is O'Reilly...equivalent and evangelist.

How odd Captain Spell Check missed those!
    Last edited by Edwina's Secretary; 09-18-2009 at 11:06 PM.

I thought I was Captain Spell Check, dang it.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I'm no O'Reilly fan either. But he spewed hatred toward Dr. Tiller incessantly. Roeder may have been a lunatic on his own, and may not have listened to B.O. But we will never know for certain - will we?
    Nope, I reckon not. But I guess that is some of the risk in having the Liberties we do. We will never be 100% safe, that is impossible to attain in a free society.

I just hope we do not let them curtail our liberties only to cater to the lowest common denominator of our society. Ya know?

You asked - Can you please clarify who the "loons" are? Some of the people at large or the talking heads?

Hate speeches? Can you be a little more specific? HATE is a pretty powerful word. I have not heard any "mainstream" pundit on any side call for HATEful action.

I was answering your question. O'Reilly hated Dr. Tiller - at least that's the way it appeared to me. But he has his First Amendment rights - just like the rest of.

Google Bill O'Reilly Dr. Tiller. There will be many examples, going back years.
    Yes, thank you. But I was talking to Liz when I asked this.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Just took a look at the TIME magazine that arrived today. Cover story - "Mad Man - Glenn Beck and the angry style of American politics"....should be an interesting...if terrifying...read!

Reminds me of a Supreme Court decision - about free speech - is not shouting "fire" in a crowded theater.

Read it and get back to us. I think and Glenn agreed on his show today that it was shockingly fair.

As for the bolded part. How SHOCKING that you would suggest such a thing. Need I remind you that the main purpose of the 1st Amendment is to protect OFFENSIVE political speech?

People who think like the bolded part, when it comes to political speech... Are more frightening to me than any pundit.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Glen Beck is truly frightening. When I was in Nursing School, back in the dark ages, my psych training was in one of those huge state hospitals. The kind where electric and insulin shock therapies were daily events. Glen Beck reminds me of the paranoid schizophrenic patients I saw. This was before Lithium and Prozac.

I often wonder if this is just a persona he puts on for TV? Maybe he's fine at home? I would hope so, for the sake of his wife and children/
    He says the SAME thing. I cannot listen to him regularly anymore I just don't have the time. Only when I happen to be in the car the same time he is on.

He says all the time that people who only listen to tidbits or what the media has to say about him will think the way you do. And for the 2nd part.... You have obviously never heard him talk about his family.

And for the paranoid schizophrenic part... Perhaps 3 years ago. LOL But he now has a staff of something like 12 people who vet, throughly, anything he says for sometimes weeks before he airs it. FWIW, it is very important to him that what he says is true and in context.

His style is certainly not timid and I can see why certain people would be afraid of it. But his content is dead on. Why do you think the media goes after him with the same rubbish all the time? ('racism', 'fearmongering', etc...) Because he is real and I believe has nothing to hide. Thus they cannot find anything to stick.

So, you can listen to/read him and possibly understand him.... Or you can belive Media Matters/Huff Po/Keith Olbermann/The moron on 'hardball'... etc...

Most importantly though... He has a right, like we all do, to 'offensive' political speech. While I pray for no violence first and foremost... Perhaps the one thing that would set off the powder keg is to shut down people like Beck, like Hannity (I really despise that guy), Keith Olbermann, Huff Po, etc.... Which sadly is the basic idea of Cass Sunstein, the new "Regulatory Czar".

Maybe Beck is scary because we live in scary times?

----

Ok, Liz, ES.... Tear me up for defending Glenn.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    He says the SAME thing. I cannot listen to him regularly anymore I just don't have the time. Only when I happen to be in the car the same time he is on.

He says all the time that people who only listen to tidbits or what the media has to say about him will think the way you do. And for the 2nd part.... You have obviously never heard him talk about his family.

And for the paranoid schizophrenic part... Perhaps 3 years ago. LOL But he now has a staff of something like 12 people who vet, throughly, anything he says for sometimes weeks before he airs it. FWIW, it is very important to him that what he says is true and in context.

His style is certainly not timid and I can see why certain people would be afraid of it. But his content is dead on. Why do you think the media goes after him with the same rubbish all the time? ('racism', 'fearmongering', etc...) Because he is real and I believe has nothing to hide. Thus they cannot find anything to stick.

So, you can listen to/read him and possibly understand him.... Or you can belive Media Matters/Huff Po/Keith Olbermann/The moron on 'hardball'... etc...

Most importantly though... He has a right, like we all do, to 'offensive' political speech. While I pray for no violence first and foremost... Perhaps the one thing that would set off the powder keg is to shut down people like Beck, like Hannity (I really despise that guy), Keith Olbermann, Huff Po, etc.... Which sadly is the basic idea of Cass Sunstein, the new "Regulatory Czar".

Maybe Beck is scary because we live in scary times?
    Puck, when I said he was frightening, I was specifically referring to the rant he had one day with a caller to his show. I doubt seriously that his staff had anything to do with that conversation.

check it out

Actually, Manic-Depressive fits him better than paranoid-schizophrenic.
    Last edited by Grace; 09-19-2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: clarity

7. Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    Read it and get back to us. I think and Glenn agreed on his show today that it was shockingly fair.

As for the bolded part. How SHOCKING that you would suggest such a thing. Need I remind you that the main purpose of the 1st Amendment is to protect OFFENSIVE political speech?

People who think like the bolded part, when it comes to political speech... Are more frightening to me than any pundit.
    Lots of shock going on in your world, isn't there?

Rest assured, there is nothing you need remind me about.

I am sorry that suggesting people should be responsible for the results of their words is so shocking to you.

Who are these people who suggest political speech should be curtailed? Or is "fire" in a crowded theater your idea of political speech?

I am so confused...

8. Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Jon Stewart always refers to him as bi-polar. Does that fit?

Puck, when I said he was frightening, I was specifically referring to the rant he had one day with a caller to his show. I doubt seriously that his staff had anything to do with that conversation.

check it out

Well, first, he does the "GET OFF MY PHONE" thing all the time. Callers and his staff make fun of him when he gets so excited that his voice cracks like that. But, that is simply style.

What matters to me is content. And the caller really was just making assumptions about him, especially at the end. Also, the caller clearly never listens to the show and knows what Glenn is really all about.

So I reckon we need to agree to disagree. You say Manic-Depression, I say passion. You seem to be a very calm person Grace, which is awesome. Really, I wish I could be that way more often. LOL So it makes sense to me that you would feel the way you do about Glenn.

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Jon Stewart always refers to him as bi-polar. Does that fit?
    Same thing. Extreme mood swings. I think Patty Duke is bi-polar.

Bi-polar seems to sound better than manic-depressive.

Lots of shock going on in your world, isn't there?
    Not really... Not much really shocks me anymore. LOL

I am sorry that suggesting people should be responsible for the results of their words is so shocking to you.

Who are these people who suggest political speech should be curtailed? Or is "fire" in a crowded theater your idea of political speech?

I am so confused...
    You assume to much. How do you KNOW that people like Glenn, Hannity, Rush, etc, inspire people to do violence? How do you know that people like Olbermann, Maddow, etc did not inspire to person who kileld that abortion protester.

I prefer to hold people accountable for their actions, rather than their words. "Results of their words...." God I hate political correctness. It does NOTHING to change minds, only curtails people sharing their thoughts.

Curtail speech? YOU. Why else would you compare speech by a political pundit to yelling "fire" in a theater? Was there something else you meant to imply?

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    How do you know that people like Olbermann, Maddow, etc did not inspire to person who kileld that abortion protester.

Oh dear, the man who killed the abortion protester in Owosso, also killed a man who owned a gravel pit, and was looking to kill a realtor.

The shooter had personal grudges against all three. I doubt very much that anyone inspired him - other than his own personal demons. With the protester, he didn't like the graphics on the signs - thought kids shouldn't be exposed to them.

The media tried to make it a bigger deal than it was/is.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    Not really... Not much really shocks me anymore. LOL

You assume to much. How do you KNOW that people like Glenn, Hannity, Rush, etc, inspire people to do violence? How do you know that people like Olbermann, Maddow, etc did not inspire to person who kileld that abortion protester.

I prefer to hold people accountable for their actions, rather than their words. "Results of their words...." God I hate political correctness. It does NOTHING to change minds, only curtails people sharing their thoughts.

Curtail speech? YOU. Why else would you compare speech by a political pundit to yelling "fire" in a theater? Was there something else you meant to imply?
    I wasn't implying, assuming, comparing or curtailing.

If a person - pundit or idiot - uses words to encourage another to kill, steal, cheat, lie or start forest fires - I think they should bear some responsibility if the person carries out the suggestion.

<<golf clap>> for your impression of Glenn Beck though! Or were you doing Hannity?

I said none of the crap you are trying to suggest and you know it.
    Last edited by Edwina's Secretary; 09-19-2009 at 03:38 PM.

So we had eight years of left wing, sorry progressive, pundits hoping for Shrub and Cheney to meet their maker. Riots from the hard lefties, sorry protests from the progresives, that trashed the protest areas, destroyed private property and squated on private property. We have had decades of the hard left in the MSM, sorry the progressives in the MSM, slanting the news in their favor. Heck the lefties, sorry again I meant the progressives, even trashed the National Mall during the Annointed One's inauguration that took 2 days to clean up.

How many czars are we up to now, 32? How many personal attendants does the First lady have, 27, 28, and what are they being paid, and who is paying them?

ACORN, a big supporter of the Long Legged Mack Daddy, is now disgraced, lost their federal funding, and left out to dry by the man they help get the most powerfull office in the world. Now who in the WH is going to do the 2010 census now that ACORN is out?

We have the S of the H crying crocodile tears remembering her friends rioting in the 70's over a peacefull and respectfull protest with no violence last weekend in DC and accross the nation.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I wasn't implying, assuming, comparing or curtailing.

If a person - pundit or idiot - uses words to encourage another to kill, steal, cheat, lie or start forest fires - I think they should bear some responsibility if the person carries out the suggestion.

<<golf clap>> for your impression of Glenn Beck though! Or were you doing Hannity?

I said none of the crap you are trying to suggest and you know it.
    This does not surprise me coming from you. It follows your ideas on guns.

I think it is a insanely slippery slope to go anywhere near the idea of legally punishing people for speech. Quite Orwellian, no? Now this does not mean that people cannot exercise THEIR free speech rights when some clown says something stupid. Like the Dixie Chicks for example. They used their free speech rights and their audience used theirs.

I guess my question is would you support LAW making a person culpable for something they say inspiring another person to do something stupid? Better yet, how in the heck do you PROVE it?

It was not Hannity for sure. That guy is a grade 1 moron and nothing but a hack for the GOP. But how would you know who I am impersonating? Do you listen, read or watch either of them regularly?

IF you were not doing what I suggested.... The what DID you mean when you said...

Just took a look at the TIME magazine that arrived today. Cover story - "Mad Man - Glenn Beck and the angry style of American politics"....should be an interesting...if terrifying...read!

Reminds me of a Supreme Court decision - about free speech - is not shouting "fire" in a crowded theater.
    ?????

It is illegal to shout "FIRE" in a crowded theater. If you were not suggesting that it be made to allow prosecution of supposed 'motivation' during political speech by pundits... What did you mean by using that comparison?

- Homer Simpson

- Sun Tzu - Art of War