Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke View Post

You've GOT to be kidding!

WHY do I want to read a pagefull of disjointed thoughts you've copied down
    and never bothered to read yourself?

Not in this life, Bub!
    Meh, I cant blame you.

Ill finish reading it later.

Bub!

ETA: Is the New York Post, or Meghan Clyne a reputable news source?
    Last edited by blue; 09-01-2009 at 02:16 AM.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Puckstop, Yes, almost all politicians are human beings who care about the society in which they live and chose to work, making that society better. They represent the people who elect them!

As Smokey the Elder said:
    The best of us will see more similarities than differences in peoples of the world, regardless of politics, culture or religion.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Puckstop, Yes, almost all politicians are human beings who care about the society in which they live and chose to work, making that society better. They represent the people who elect them!
    Reading that quote reminded me of a politician (I think he was a conservative MP) that I saw in a television interview some time ago. He said nearly the exact same thing.... some weeks later the country was outraged when we learnt that a good proportion of Parliament was squandering the tax-payer's money on mortgages, moats and floating duck houses (!) for their second homes.

I have been lucky enough to sit on on lectures with a few politicians, and don't get me wrong, I respect them, but each one, perhaps bar one, has made horrendous errors of judgement in their history that did nothing for the community or the greater good of anybody.

I think I might be agreeing with Puckstop on this one!

Zimbabwe 07/13

The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

5. As someone pointed out to me when I was complaining about some politicians once...have you ever run for office?

So those who are carping...calling all or almost all politicians evil or morons or thieves...

Have you run for office? Have you worked on the campaign of someone you think would be better?

Or is it easier to curse the darkness than to light a candle?

I don't believe all are anything. Just as people who go into the military do it to make the world a safer place, I think most politicians run for office because they want to make the government better.

As we all know those Founding Fathers were also politicians!

Do some politicians go bad? Sure. Do some in the military go bad? Sure. Heck, so do some teachers, lawyers, doctors, business people, athletes, etc. etc, etc.

I just have never like labeling ALL of anything good or evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke View Post

You've GOT to be kidding!

WHY do I want to read a pagefull of disjointed thoughts you've copied down
    and never bothered to read yourself?

Not in this life, Bub!

A real piece of work.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,

Normally I cannot stand music when I am put on hold, but I can dig a few marches and some patriotic tunes....

I guess the friggin hag decided she didn't want people to be inspired..

http://newledger.com/2009/08/why-doe...triotic-music/

But wait!

The masses speak!!!!!! And they get what they want... Good old Nutsy never learns. I can hardly wait for the people of Cuh lee fuh nee ah to wipe their shoes of this moron when election time comes.

Dear Political Jesus.

Keep NP safe until the election and her defeat. I any eagerly awaiting the day when someone tells her she is out of office. I want to see how many eye blinks it takes for her to realize she is a loser.

AMEN.

8. Gosh! I wonder how...
    friggin hag
    Good old Nutsy
    this moron

differs from Erica Jong's "name calling"?

After all...I've never seen name calling win an argument or enhance a discussion yet. It only serves to fan the flames of an already heated debate!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    As someone pointed out to me when I was complaining about some politicians once...have you ever run for office?

So those who are carping...calling all or almost all politicians evil or morons or thieves...

Have you run for office?
    No.

Have you worked on the campaign of someone you think would be better?
    Yes. And it was the first of a series of experiences that taught me what our modern politician is all about.

I might begin believing in the people who serve in government again.... When that "service" becomes a sacrifice again. The founders understood that SERVICE was a sacrifice, and a noble one. Today, it seems a way to live a fat life and spend OPM. (Other Peoples Money, to coin the 'fine' State Senator from PA, Vince Fumo, who is currently incarcerated.)

As we all know those Founding Fathers were also politicians!
    Indeed. But those men had something that very, very few today do. A sense of honor and integrity. They understood that they served something MUCH bigger than themselves. That they were part of a necessary evil, not the solution to all our woes.

They pledged their LIVES, their FORTUNES and their SACRED HONOR. What does our modern version risk?
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

When I was still a child, I learned that when I point a finger at someone else, there are 4 more fingers pointing back at me.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    When I was still a child, I learned that when I point a finger at someone else, there are 4 more fingers pointing back at me.
    To borrow someone else's quote I saw here today:

"Medusa is a wise woman".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    To borrow someone else's quote I saw here today:

"Medusa is a wise woman".

Uh oh. I'm at the age now when I'm called wise? This is not good.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Lifetime political "service" may be part of the problem. The lifers realize how cushy of a job they have. They don't need to work for a living, so there is no incentive. IMO, there should be term limits all the way from dog catcher to POTUS. NYC imposed term limits, now Bloomberg wants to beat the system. Say what you want to about Giuliani; folks wanted him to run for a third term after 9/11 but he said it wasn't allowed by law and declined.

I didn't intend any slight to small acts of kindness by mentioning philanthropy; large scale philanthropy just has much more global reach. However, the man that got the Peace Prize for creating the concept of micro-loans also started small. (These have a repayment rate the envy of any big bank: well north of 90%.) There is another person who is arranging with Kenya, that if a village/town will plant 100 trees they will get a new laptop for their school. These types of activities are definitely quid pro quo; as they should be. No one should get something for nothing.

I think more emphasis is being put on "locals" who do good deeds, and that can be an incentive to others. This is also mandated in many faiths.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Totally non sequiter, but the minute I read this post I figured you had watched Laura Ingraham on O'Reilly last night. She began the show by extending her arm and pointing one of her fingers straight into the camera. Very unflattering picture.

15. When I was a child I learned that what people most complain about others doing is something they do themselves!