Thread: Politics and religion.

The presidential debate on foreign policy and the Bears game are both on TV tonight. Also the 7th game of the NL Championship series. I want to hear the debate, but I also want to watch da Bears. (Could you guys discuss foreign policy during the time-outs, maybe?)
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    The presidential debate on foreign policy and the Bears game are both on TV tonight. Also the 7th game of the NL Championship series. I want to hear the debate, but I also want to watch da Bears. (Could you guys discuss foreign policy during the time-outs, maybe?)
    I'l give you one guess as to which program will more entertaining........

It's the game played without 'balls'...

Judging by all the "vote for" whoever signs all over our town, if everyone running for an office would take all the money spent on signs, mailers, and other not wanted, nonsence and put it toward the national debt, it would be paid off in 4 years.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I haven't watched any of the debates, but I have read a transcript or two.

I haven't watched simply because if I want to see that big a pile of manure, all I have to do is look across the road when they're running the manure spreader in the hayfield.

I think I've posted this before, but.......

La cucaracha, la cucaracha
    woke up on election day

heard the things they had to say

A lot of lying and alibi-ing
    empty heads without a plan

said I'm glad I'm not a man.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I also have not watched much of the debates, just snippets here and there, and heard bits on the car radio until I couldn't stand it and changed to a music station!

I will be very glad when this election cycle is over, there's no question who will win the Presidential contest here in Massachusetts, as the only times in my lifetime the state has gone for a Republican candidate was for Reagan back in the 1980s, and before that it was Dwight Eisenhower, just after WW2.
    I've Been Frosted

I am really interested in the elections and want to see someone blow a circuit on one of the 'news' cable channels.

------------------

Again, the people that I find to be the most annoying are the people with accents who THINK they know gobs about Americans and our politics.

The one clown on MSNBC makes me laugh, he is such an arse scratch.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

------------------

Again, the people that I find to be the most annoying are the people with accents who THINK they know gobs about Americans and our politics.

Is it not possible to have an accent and be an American at the same time?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

8. Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Interesting example of xenophobia, isn't it? There is a Brit on Fox News who is also an "arse scratch" but I never questioned his right to have opinions about the US or its politics! (And I the right to disagree with his opinions!)

I wonder if that means someone with an "American accent" is not allowed to have opinions about the people and politics of other countries? <<head shake>>

Everyone has an accent of some sort! And seeing as we are a nation of immigrants, whether via the land bridge from Siberia thousands of years ago, or by plane or boat more recently, or any time in-between!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    No, not the person I am talking about. It's an intolerable turd that takes every opportunity to insult people.

-------------------

If you really want to know just how intolerable and hateful people are, drop a few political views into the mix and you will see their constitution.

Especially the people who constantly use the catchphrases that are 'hot' at the moment.

Like 'battleground states' and 'war against women'.

I figured a war on women was akin to getting shot in the head because you wanted a free society/state for you and your sisters.

...and I always figured a 'battleground states' are places where the "Civil War" was fought, not some struggle for an office where you jerk people around by promising them crap that you cannot do by yourself.

Knock yourselves out fighting pretend scuffles.
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

11. Wow...I know lots of "intolerable turds" who don't have foreign accents. Ann Coulter comes quickly to mind - just before Sean Hannity.

(Ann did a lovely piece recently on "retards")

But it never occurred to me to denigate all people with "American" accents because of those nasty pieces of work.

(p.s. Since Mexico and Canada are also on the North American continent...aren't their accents "American" too?)

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Wow...I know lots of "intolerable turds" who don't have foreign accents. Ann Coulter comes quickly to mind - just before Sean Hannity.

(Ann did a lovely piece recently on "retards")

But it never occurred to me to denigate all people with "American" accents because of those nasty pieces of work.

(p.s. Since Mexico and Canada are also on the North American continent...aren't their accents "American" too?)
    Central and South Americans are also "Americans" if one is considering it by continent ... as a gentleman from Costa Rica pointed out to me when I was a kid!
    I've Been Frosted

13. Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Central and South Americans are also "Americans" if one is considering it by continent ... as a gentleman from Costa Rica pointed out to me when I was a kid!
    When I lived in Mexico I learned to refer to myself as from the United States rather than (or perhaps in addition to!) America. It was pointed out to me that the US does not own the continent!

I'm an American and I have a Chicago accent. I found this out working with a medical director from Wisconsin. We found it out with words ending in -ake (take, mistake, fake -- he would say taaaaaake it, lots of emphasis on the vowel. Not around here, it's more like tay-k (tay-k yer coat off and set awhile)...
    and what is this thing called? The Wisconsin office called it a bubbler, but I know it as a water fountain. I think bubblers and water fountains are two different things up there, though (this round one with the arch of water is a bubbler, but the one you'd find in a school is a water fountain)

My nephew did an archaeological internship in Turkey, six weeks long, several summers ago. He found that most of the people there thought Americans drive fancy cars and carry guns. Most of the people from that village who were on the team were Muslim, so when they would respond to the daily calls to pray, the American and British members of the team would either continue their work quietly or take a break in a different area. They hoped to keep a low profile even though they were such a large group of Westerners in that one village. My nephew felt they were pretty successful and as a result they learned a lot about the area of Turkey they were working in, and the country in general.

I went to Russia in 1998 as part of a mission work team from church. Part of the pre-trip training was on the culture and how not to stand out as an "ugly American". It was about being respectful, courteous, dressing modestly and in a way that didn't call unwanted attention to us, and treating others as we'd like to be treated.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I'm an American and I have a Chicago accent. I found this out working with a medical director from Wisconsin. We found it out with words ending in -ake (take, mistake, fake -- he would say taaaaaake it, lots of emphasis on the vowel. Not around here, it's more like tay-k (tay-k yer coat off and set awhile)...
    and what is this thing called? The Wisconsin office called it a bubbler, but I know it as a water fountain. I think bubblers and water fountains are two different things up there, though (this round one with the arch of water is a bubbler, but the one you'd find in a school is a water fountain)

My nephew did an archaeological internship in Turkey, six weeks long, several summers ago. He found that most of the people there thought Americans drive fancy cars and carry guns. Most of the people from that village who were on the team were Muslim, so when they would respond to the daily calls to pray, the American and British members of the team would either continue their work quietly or take a break in a different area. They hoped to keep a low profile even though they were such a large group of Westerners in that one village. My nephew felt they were pretty successful and as a result they learned a lot about the area of Turkey they were working in, and the country in general.

I went to Russia in 1998 as part of a mission work team from church. Part of the pre-trip training was on the culture and how not to stand out as an "ugly American". It was about being respectful, courteous, dressing modestly and in a way that didn't call unwanted attention to us, and treating others as we'd like to be treated.
    THE BUBBLER!!!!!

Oh my dear lord...........I went to a Catholic School and the nuns, especially Sister Mary Torquemada, would use that call the drinking fountains........BUBBLERS! They were from the NE sect (Massachusetts) and I loved to hear them talk.

It was a mixture of cuteness with a huge dose of god fearing mixed into the patois.

----------------

I am an American Mutt. I do not have an accent other than the root "Dudius SoCalifornificator". I speak pretty good Espanol and people don't know what to make of me when I do because I don't "look it".

----------------

The dope that I refer to is a 'newsreader' with a show on a cable news network.

He comes off as a pompous arse who, finds it 'funny' to make comments in a round-about way.

I have always thought the people from the same geographical area as being smart, having a dry sense of humor, warm and people that you want to party with.

I caught a segment of his show after the debate and he had to get a dig in by saying one of the participants was "spewing excretory views".

IF I went to his country and started talking smack about the politicians like he does?

I'd be the rude American and probably taken off the air ASAP.

--------------------

I do hope that in this election the "THEY PARTY" shows up.

THEY have this agenda that is really scary, THEY want to raise taxes, THEY want to monkey around with the SS system, THEY are going to make sweeping cuts in the the health insurance system....But THEY are going to fight for the right for women to have some say over their bodies (this double-y cracks me up because while I am all for the rights for women to have a say in what us stupid men do to them, they are pretty cavalier when it comes to men having a say about how big their boobs, lips are and how tiny their waists and crow's feet should be.)

THEY have always been the scary, no-named evil that when finally named are the same people you and I are to THEM.

The biggest disappointment to American Politics (we don't need some idjit from another country to remind us of this) is the people that we elect to office promise us to change things for the better and can't get shiat done because they are impotent with it come to compromise.

THEY don't have the faintest idea as to how to bring us together, THEY just demonize the rest of country and use that division to their advantage.

----------------------------

Politicians now are hollow hand puppets, with a lobbyist's hand up their backside making their lips move, another to move the arms and someone doing the voice work so they can sound really good.

A speech writer is a good thing, I'd never expect a politician to be that clever, clear or concise.........THEY have everything at their disposal to make it to office...............

OMG!!!!!!! could THEY be the THEY we are concerned about?

-----------------

Back in the elementary grades, the nuns would have us do mock debates, hold elections and do all the crap for a social studies/citizenship grade. Interesting stuff.....we'd nominate a candidate and they would run based on promises like more recess, candy in class, less homework and going home earlier.

All kinds of good crap that really wasn't viable, but nice to think about.

It's funny that now that I is all growed up, nothing has changed.

We, as adults, hold debates, elections and vote in a guy that promises us less taxes, better healthcare and a chicken in every pot.

All good crap that's really not viable, but nice to think about.......

It may be time to let the children run the country because us adults don't have a clue, the common sense or manners to keep on doing so.
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.