Thread: Politics, corruption and sports

Politics, corruption and sports

It's not just at the major league level:

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/n...ourt/25806405/

The owner of the local AA franchise didn't want the possible sale of the franchise to a group who would move it to become public knowledge. Why? Because he didn't want the sale to impact the re-election of our local State Senator, who is under indictment in a federal racketeering probe involving him getting his son a job with a downstate law firm, and funneling state business to the same law firm.

Ya just can't make this stuff up.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    It's not just at the major league level:

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/n...ourt/25806405/

The owner of the local AA franchise didn't want the possible sale of the franchise to a group who would move it to become public knowledge. Why? Because he didn't want the sale to impact the re-election of our local State Senator, who is under indictment in a federal racketeering probe involving him getting his son a job with a downstate law firm, and funneling state business to the same law firm.

Ya just can't make this stuff up.
    Wow, convoluted, anyone? The Senator is under indictment - when is the election? Isn;t anyone [planning on running against him! Surely in all of you area, there's gotta be someone not actively part of a criminal investigation who might want the job!
    I've Been Frosted

The election was last November, the Primary was in September, at the end of baseball season (for AA). The owner of the AA team was heavily invested in the re-election of the sitting Senator, hence his reluctance to have any news of a possible sale of the team to out of state owners announced during primary season.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

As an addendum, as the edit isn't working properly on this computter, the Senator's son was convicted, and while the Senator is still in office (he handily won re-election) his home computer and his wife's home computer were recently seized by the FBI when they raided his home.

How did he win re-election? Frankly, his opponent was a loon, and the good Senator has been in office so long he's a major power-broker in Albany.

Oh, a state senator in NY...that explains a lot. Albany is such a hive of scum and villainy...
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I've never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy....

Oh, wait, sorry, wrong movie.

On the upside, it looks like Skelos is going down with his buddies as well.

http://www.pressconnects.com/story/n...ment/26128451/

NEW YORK – The New York Times says New York state Assembly Speaker Carl Heastie made money by selling an apartment that his mother had bought with embezzled money.

The report in Tuesday's Times says Heastie held onto the Bronx apartment even though a judge had told him to sell it.

Heastie's mother, Helene, pleaded guilty in 1999 to writing checks to herself from a nonprofit agency where she had worked.

It just gets better all the time. LOL

The only thing we're missing is a sitting Senator putting bribe money in her brassiere.

Oops, wait, sorry, wrong state.

What a bunch!

Like mother, like son...
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand another Albany pol bites the dust...

Or was he ever IN Albany?

http://www.syracuse.com/politics/ind...l#incart_river

New York State Assemblyman William Scarborough confirmed on Wednesday that he's resigning as part of a plea agreement.

The Queens Democrat admitted that he lied about being in Albany when he wasn't, according to the Associated Press. He's scheduled to plead guilty to federal charges of theft and wire fraud related to $40,000 in travel expense claims from 2009 to 2012.

"I did in fact claim to be in Albany at times when I was not there or I would claim to have stayed longer than I actually did," Scarborough said in a statement. "As a result I will be stepping down from the job that I love, and I will face whatever sanctions the court imposes at the proper time."