Page 12 of 257 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics and religion.

2 McCain aides resigned just recently because they had represented Myanmar's ruling junta.

Seems like the people who are supposed to do the vetting should also leave.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I just read this -
    The Texas megachurch pastor whose past comments about the Catholic Church have caused headaches for John McCain for over two months will issue an apology to Catholics later today, according a top Christian conservative.

John Hagee, pastor of San Antonio's Cornerstone Church, will send a letter to Catholic League President William Donahue expressing "deep regret for any comments that Catholics have found hurtful."

"After engaging in constructive dialogue with Catholic friends and leaders, I now have an improved understanding of the Catholic Church, its relation to the Jewish faith, and the history of anti-Catholicism," Hagee wrote in a letter running just over two pages.

In a carefully-coordinated plan, Donahue accepted the apology with a statement of his own.

“The tone of Hagee’s letter is sincere," Donahue said. "He wants reconciliation and he has achieved it. Indeed, the Catholic League welcomes his apology."

The conservative leader who shared the letter said McCain's campaign was not involved at all in encouraging Hagee to apologize.

Donahue has been among Hagee's most outspoken critics and called on McCain to repudiate the pastor soon after Hagee endorsed the Republican in March.

Hagee has drawn fire for describing Catholicism as "a Godless theology of Hate" and, what some have interpreted as, "the Great Whore."

Hoping to knock Mike Huckabee out of the race, McCain secured Hagee's public endorsement in the days before the March 4th Texas primary. But since then, the GOP candidate has been dogged by questions over why he would accept support from somebody who not only has criticized Catholics but also asserted that Hurricane Katrina was part of God's punishment for the decadence of New Orleanians.

McCain has not disavowed Hagee's endorsement, but has said that it was probably a mistake to pursue. A spokesperson for the candidate declined to comment on Hagee's apology

This is where my support was. I hope he can stir the pot at the convention. Oh I can wish can't I......

http://news.aol.com/political-machin...594x1200071364

Well,we still have Ralph Nader!!

I did hear another Republican has pulled out of the party and will be running independently. I can't remember his name for the life of me. I don't think I've even heard of him before.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    This is where my support was. I hope he can stir the pot at the convention. Oh I can wish can't I......

http://news.aol.com/political-machin...594x1200071364
    Well his supporters managed to throw a wrench in the Nevada State Convention. My husband is a huge fan of Dr. Paul.

I did hear another Republican has pulled out of the party and will be running independently. I can't remember his name for the life of me. I don't think I've even heard of him before.
    That would be Bob Barr, former congressman from Georgia. He hopes to be the Libertarian Presidential candidate.

Don't forget Dennis!

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post

Well,we still have Ralph Nader!!
    Or, we could try to get Our Boy Dennis (the Cleveland Menace) to rejoin the race!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Well his supporters managed to throw a wrench in the Nevada State Convention. My husband is a huge fan of Dr. Paul.
    Your husband would fit in quite nicely in my family. My hubby, son, daughter, son-in-law and daughter-in-law, as well as myself were hoping that Dr. Paul would some day be President Paul. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Guess who owns a flag pin now.

Isn't that a false sense of patriotism?

I think it was a fashion accessory. He was speaking before a military group.

I am split off from my family in my presidential choice. Very first time
    that's ever happened, so it feels sorta weird. We are all Democrats, born
    and bred , and do agree on most other important issues.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hey, If BO can win the primaries in the 7 new states, he's a shoo in.

When did the U.S. gain 7 states?- OH, I think that BO meant North and South Viet Nam, by default. South Korea, Panama and Grenada, and Iraq twice.

I think he was dwelling on the Heinz 57 thing that happened in '04.

-----------------

And there should be a law that states, "At no time will a candiate's spouse be allowed to give an interview, stand in front of any video recording device, use any microphone and/or be listened to during any campaign."

I am so effing tired of the Billster and the Omarosa Obama! Dude and Dudette-HRC and BHO- if you don't want you spouses to sink your ship, keep them tied up at the quay.

It really looks stupid when they walk out in front of an audience, make a stupid comment, claim they were misquoted and then have to be defended by you during an interview.

They are along for the ride, remora style. Or like a HAGFISH.....lovely creatures, they is!

I can hardly wait until after November whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Hey, If BO can win the primaries in the 7 new states, he's a shoo in.

When did the U.S. gain 7 states?- OH, I think that BO meant North and South Viet Nam, by default. South Korea, Panama and Grenada, and Iraq twice.

I think he was dwelling on the Heinz 57 thing that happened in '04.

-----------------
    Maybe he was including the state of confusion!

What a mess that the states of Fl and Mi seem to be in. It's not their faults really. They were warned if they moved their primaries, the votes wouldn't count. They moved them any way. Now HRC really really really wants the votes to count. So, should the party be allowed to change the rules of the game, which they created, now just because they don't like the results? I didn't think there were any do overs in the run for the oval office. My head hurts!!!

I vote to do away with all parties and just let people run the best they can on what they have! I want someone who cares about "normal" people, not just the wealthy or influencial!
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Well this may be probably a little off the subject, but I just had lunch with an old friend. She said there is no one running that is worth voting for. Amazingly enough, that is how most of my co-workers feel and many acquaintances. To me we are living in the scariest time of our lives with so much unrest all over the globe and horrible financial issues everywhere you look, and these are the people we have to choose from to solve all of this? It makes me ill. I don't know where they are getting the info on polls as to how Obama would do versus McCain or Clinton versus McCain as many people seem to be expressing the same thoughts as what I am hearing. I think it will be an *eenie meanie miney mo* thing in the voting booth with a lot of people.

I live in Michigan, and the early primary fiasco was helped along by Debbie Dingell, wife of Congressman John Dingell. She wanted to do a favor for her friend, HRC.

We all knew, long before the primary date, that the Democratic delegates wouldn't be seated, and none of the Democrats campaigned here.

They made their bed; they can suffer the consequences.

I didn't vote for one simple reason. When you went to the polls that day, you had to state a party preference. That has NEVER happened before, in this state. Then the respective lists of Republicans and Democrats would be sent to the National parties - and they could harass us to their hearts content.

I get enough junk mail and robo-calls without adding more.

I didn't vote for one simple reason. When you went to the polls that day, you had to state a party preference. That has NEVER happened before, in this state.

They do the same thing here. They need to know which ballot to give you.

Anyone who was involved in the Michigan/Florida mess sure didn't do
    HRC any favors. She was heavly favored in both states.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'm an Independent and my caller ID about explodes from "un named" calls now. Seems the Independents are really popular this voting season.
    MY BLESSINGS:

Frankie

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    They do the same thing here. They need to know which ballot to give you.

Anyone who was involved in the Michigan/Florida mess sure didn't do
    HRC any favors. She was heavly favored in both states.

In past primaries, we received just one ballot. But we are told that we can only vote for one party, in the primary, or our ballot will be invalidated. This was totally different, and if it continues, I will no longer vote in primaries.

So much for the privacy of the voting booth

I didn't vote for one simple reason. When you went to the polls that day, you had to state a party preference. That has NEVER happened before, in this state. Then the respective lists of Republicans and Democrats would be sent to the National parties - and they could harass us to their hearts content.

It was that way years ago here, but you could then, right after you voted, visit another table of election volunteers and change your status back to "unenrolled." Maybe something to check into for next election time for you.
    I've Been Frosted