Thread: Aggressive Dogs. I had to call the Police.

Aggressive Dogs. I had to call the Police.

Today I decided to walk Travis over to my friends house. My friend lives in a housing division that is atleast six blocks away from my house.

We got there fine. I noticed a loose Rottweiler three houses away from my friends house, but the dog didn't pay us much attention.

Once I got to my friends house we decided to take the dog and the kids to the park. [He was babysitting his two siblings and their two friends so we had a total of four kids with us]

When we got out on the street we noticed that there were now two loose Rottweilers. We proceeded with caution.

The kids were ahead of us [the park is in plain sight of his house]. The two girls were walking and the two boys were on their skateboards.

The rottweilers were accross the street sniffing around. One of the girls attempted to pet the smaller, darker one and almost got bit. The larger, lighter one chased the boys on their skateboards. Once they saw me with my dog they started barking and attempted to follow me. I made my way back to my friends house while my friend stayed behind to keep the dogs away from Travis and me.

We put Travis safely in the backyard and went to the neighbors house to tell them to put their dogs up. The two Rottweilers would not let us anywhere near the house. We were still in the MIDDLE of the street and the darker one stood there staring us down. Even before his hair went up and he bared his teeth I could tell that this dog was not friendly. The way he stared at us and held his ground was unsettling. As soon as he starting growling and barking I went back to my friends house.

I then got the address and called the police. I explained the situation to them and explained that I had no way to get back home. I walked over there and the house is on a Cul de sac. I was trapped.

They sent an officer over and we talked to him. Told him the story.

The officer went over to the peoples house and he, too, could not even reach the house. The dogs were barking at him and wouldn't let him near.

They eventually left because they couldn't get ahold of the owners. After they left, another officer called my cell. I talked to her and told her that it turns out the owners weren't even home at the time of the other officers visit. [There were two cars parked out front and the garage was open so we thought someone was home. After the first officer left we saw a third car pull up. ]

So now, these people will be getting a lovely visit from the Police for their irresponsibility. :]

I was beyond ticked. It is ridiculous when I can not even go out with my dog without being approached by a loose dog. I've had it.

These type of owners are the ones that give Rottweilers [and other related breeds] a bad name.

So theres my adventure for the day. -_-
    Ruled by:

The GSDS: Addaxx and Fenyxx
    The Poodle thing: Frodo
    The Chihuahua: Stark

Sorry you had to go through that. Sounds like you did the right things, in the right order. glad you, the kids and pup were alright. AND it is good that the officer responded and saw the situation first hand. (Don't you hate it when the 'authorities' show up and everything is calm?)

In fairness to the owners, the dogs 'may' have escaped from a fenced area while no one was home. We all know that DOES happen. As your friend lives nearby, he / she would know if this is a regular occurrence or not. If it is frequent, than they get what they deserve. If it was a one time thing - hey, we know it should NOT happen, and we all know that sometimes it DOES happen - well, this will get them on their toes to repair whatever allowed the dogs out when they shouldn't be out.

The garage door was left open and even when the owners were home, the dogs were STILL out in the garage..which was still open.

Luckily though, these dogs are not normally loose.
    Ruled by:

The GSDS: Addaxx and Fenyxx
    The Poodle thing: Frodo
    The Chihuahua: Stark

Regardless of whether this was an accident or a regular occurrence, you did the right thing. The police can determine if this was an accident or not, and since the owners weren't home, calling them was the thing to do. The dogs threatened you, and could do the same to a small child. The owners will just get a warning and that will serve as a wakeup call to check their doors, gates, and fences for places that their dogs can get out.

If you're concerned at all about your neighbor's feelings about this, I would call them or see them and just explain nicely what happened. A couple of years ago, we had to use pepper spray on a neighbor's dog that got away and was literally attacking our dogs, who were leashed. As their dog was rolling on the grass, wiping his face, the owner came out. We explained, and he was very nice about it. Later we found out that he had been reported by our mail carrier to have a harassing dog and was instructed to move the mailbox off his porch and onto the sidewalk.

Anyway, I'm glad no one was hurt. Sometimes we just have to these things.
    Jan and 7 yo collie Bailey, CGC,TDIAOV

How to Love Your Dog
    http://loveyourdog.com

Therapy Dogs.Net
    http://therapydogs.net

Bailey at Dog of the Day
    Cody at Dog of the Day