Tiger Ranch... not good news

From the newspaper today...

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworl...,4118519.story
    themorningcall.com
    Hundreds of sick, dying cats found in western Pa. shelter

By Dan Nephin

Of The Associated Press

March 15, 2008

Hundreds of sick and dying cats were retrieved Friday from a western Pennsylvania animal sanctuary after an undercover investigation by a former humane officer said it had become a ''slow-kill shelter.''

Humane officials and volunteers said it could take at least until today to remove all the animals from the secluded 29-acre property known as Tiger Ranch Farm, about 20 miles northwest of Pittsburgh.

Six hundred to 700 cats were on the property and hundreds, perhaps thousands, of dead ones were believed buried on the land, said Howard Nelson, director of the Philadelphia-based Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, which organized the raid.

''It's billed as a sanctuary, but no one person can take care of 750 cats,'' he said.

Owner Linda Bruno apparently meant well, but lost track of the needs of the animals she had hoarded for years, Nelson said.

''I found her to be in denial of the condition of the cats,'' he said.

Bruno, also known as Linn Marie, 45, was arraigned Friday on 13 counts of animal cruelty and neglect, but more charges were expected as subsequent cases were documented, Nelson said. It was not immediately clear if she had an attorney. She was being held in the Allegheny County Jail, unable to post $50,000 bond.

Animal control agents and sheriff's deputies arrived about 7 p.m. Thursday. By midday Friday, at least a dozen cats had been euthanized and more than 400 had to be medicated due to contagious diseases, officials said.

The SPCA got a search warrant after a seven-month undercover investigation in which Deborah Urmann, a former humane officer from Butler County who worked for Bruno once a week as a volunteer, recorded the operations using a button camera purchased over the Internet.

''She claims she's a no-kill shelter, but really she's a slow-kill shelter,'' Urmann said.

Urmann compiled up to 11/2 hours of video of the conditions in the fall.

Nelson said the animals were found in various places and conditions all over the property. Besides the hundreds of cats, Bruno had several dogs, several horses, a chicken and a goat.

That Is Such A Sad Story. The Pet Angel Army Has Been There Helping The Ones Who Are Passing On To Go To A Far Better Place.
    We Are Praying That As Many As Can Be, Can Be Restored To Good Health And Through The Miracles Of Our All Mighty Lord God Above Get A Furrever Home.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Y'know, every time I read or hear of a story like this, my heart hardens a little more toward people who say they became overwhelmed. No one person can possibly take care of that many cats alone and they know it. When they see that the number of cats is quickly growing, they know they should ask for help pronto but they don't. I do understand not wanting to turn away any animal but they certainly weren't helping them. At least if a cat is left to its own devices, it stands a chance of getting some food and maybe a responsible person finding it and giving it a home. When it's stuck in a shelter, its chances for survival and/or a quality life are slim unless there's a dedicated staff of people working there. How sad.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

So sad.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Here's an article about how people become animal hoarders.

Love, Columbine

Tiger Ranch volunteer dumbfounded

Hello All...I am new to this site and registered specifically for this topic.
    My grandma lives down the road from Tiger Ranch and I once volunteered there about 4 years ago for about a month. I brought strays to her from farms to get spayed and neutered at a cheap price so they didn't continue multiplying. When I went there, it was not as bad as it seemed to be on the news, but back then she only had 300 cats a year. This topic has really affected me because I know she is a nice person...but she could not say no. And I know she has been taken advantage of from people dropping cats off or saying their coming back after their fixed and they don't...However, I watched on the news that there was much more involved than overpopulation. I am shocked at what I have heard...I hope everything works out for the best. I hope she gets the help she needs and as many animals as possible survive. What hurts me the most is the fact that I have referred so many people to her on good intentions but had no clue about the situation. I hope all the animals I referred are of good health. Also, What I would like to see for Western PA or anywhere is a change of policy and funding for shelters and humane societies. Because of the financial difficulties today, when people find an animal, they can't afford to keep it, but want to help and find it a good home. They try to take it to humane societies, but they charge to take an animal and dog catchers are so hard to get a hold of. Also, many shelters are too quick to euthanize because they also are overwhelmed because people are not getting their animals spayed and neutered due to cost. So, people in this are resort to the local rescues like Tiger Ranch who don't charge and basically hand off the problem to give the burden to the rescue owners and they try their best to do what they can. It's unfortunate...I would like to see more spay and neuter awareness, more funding, and the willingness of the public to donate anything to their local shelters including old blankets. This is so nerve-racking to me. Thanks everyone for listening...hopefully we can prevent something like this from happening again with all of your love for pets and your willingness to educate others.
    With Love,
    Heartbroken

Welcome to Pet Talk, Sprinter's Mommy. I hope you'll stick around for a while. There are a lot of wonderful and encouraging people here. I've learned a lot and PT prayers are most powerful.

As for the subject matter, you're preaching to the choir. Most of us live in a multiple cat household because we just can't turn them away. I sure hope that the cats that were found at Tiger Ranch can be saved and socialized. The dead ones at least have gone on to a better life but they had to suffer in order to get there. It's tragic but we can't legislate morality and I feel that it's immoral to consider a cat or any animal a throwaway.

Thanx for posting and I hope to hear more from you here at PT.
    Blessings,
    Mary

When I was trying to find a home for Creamsicle and for Athena I emailed a bunch of people asking for help and someone did recommend Tiger Ranch. I'm glad I didn't call but I can see how someone wants to do good by helping cats and just gets overwhelmed so quickly. My prays for those kitties.

Thanks for the support

Thanks for listening. Right now the animals are at Clarion County Humane Society with the PSPCA and they have my contact info so I'm just waiting for them to call me so that I can go help. I just hope that Lynn also gets the help she needs and gets better...the pictures of her on the news and internet...she looks exhausted. By the way, all of the pics of all of your animals look so adorable...their all cute!! Take care.

I received this email from the PSPCA this morning. I am so glad our local person Shirley didn't take some of her cats there. It has been recommended to her but we couldn't find enough information on it to feel satisfied.

Dear Friend,

I spent all night moving sick and dying cats into cages for transport to the animal hospital. I am exhausted. Everyone around me is exhausted, but there is still more work to do. More cats to help.

On Thursday night, the Pennsylvania SPCA raided a place called Tiger Ranch. There were more than 600 cats living on the 30-acre property. Tiger Ranch advertised itself as a "no-kill sanctuary" so people dropped their unwanted pets and stray cats off thinking that they were saving them. Instead, the cats were neglected, underfed and left to die.

The cats were living in filthy, cramped conditions, without enough food or water, and many were suffering from untreated illnesses. When they died, the owner of the property buried their bodies in large burial pits and covered them with dirt. It is a horrific, nightmarish scene. Cat fur lines the ground around the burial pits. And even worse, there are dozens of dead cats in freezers, waiting to be buried.

On Thursday night, the owner of Tiger Ranch was arrested. We have now seized all of the cats and are providing prompt medical care. With the help of partners like the ASPCA and local rescue organizations, we have rescued most of the cats. Some were so ill that they had to be humanely euthanized. Some died before we arrived or on the way to the animal hospital. But we've saved many hundreds of them.

The Pennsylvania SPCA has set up a shelter and animal hospital just for these cats in Clarion County, PA. We will be fully providing all medical care and boarding until they are well enough to be adopted. We are accepting donations to the Tiger Ranch Fund to help pay for our efforts.

You can support the Pennsylvania SPCA and donate directly to save these neglected cats online. Just write "Tiger Ranch" in the dedication field. We also accept donations over the phone (215 426 6304 ext. 217) or via mail. Please contact Rachel McCrystal, Director of Development, at [email protected] if you have any further questions about donating to help our efforts.

I am shocked by the neglect I've seen over the past two days. One small black cat dead in a litter box. Dozens of skinny cats pushing each other out of the way to get to one dish of water. Many cats that were so weak from dehydration that they could barely walk. Some literally blind from illness or bleeding from their mouths. Hundreds of sick, sneezing, crying cats.

As we work here in Clarion County, providing urgent medical care and trying to ascertain what exactly happened at that horrible place, I know that these cats will never again have to suffer like that. I am promising that to each and every one of them.

Please help if you can.

All my best,

Howard

Howard R. Nelson, Chief Executive Officer

I saw this on Craigslist,

Help with Supplies!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Reply to: [email protected]
    Date: 2008-03-17, 1:53AM EDT

PSPCA Requests Much-Needed Supplies Following Rescue of Hundreds of Cats

Large-Sized Rabbit and Dog Carriers, Newspaper Needed

ASPCA Media Contact

SHIPPENVILLE, PA, March 15, 2008—The Pennsylvania SPCA (PSPCA) is requesting rabbit carriers, medium-sized dog crates and newspaper from the public in order to help house hundreds of cats rescued over the past two days from the Tiger Ranch Cat Sanctuary in Tarentum, Pa.

The public is asked to drop off supplies between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. at the Clarion County Humane Society, located at 9562 Route 322 in Shippenville, Pa., 16254. Please do not bring cat carriers; they are too small. Anyone with questions may call (814) 226-9192.

“Many of the cats have treatable illnesses, and the larger-sized carriers will help temporarily house them and keep them separated from other cats,” said Howard Nelson, CEO of the PSPCA. "We need to keep them comfortable while they’re being treated, and the larger carriers provide ample space for litter pans, food bowls, and bedding.”

Approximately 600 cats living in squalor were removed over the past two days from the property known as the “Tiger Ranch Cat Sanctuary” in Tarentum, Pa. by a team of 120 animal welfare experts from the Pennsylvania SPCA (PSPCA) and the ASPCA® (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®).

The cats were living in filthy conditions in multiple buildings, including a single-family home, at 160 Miller Drive, a 28-acre property about 20 miles northeast of Pittsburgh. The owner, Lin Marie, 46, was arrested and has been charged with multiple counts of animal cruelty.

According to Dr. Melinda Merck, a forensic veterinarian for the ASPCA who was on the scene, the cats, ranging in age from three to four months to seven years, are suffering from a host of ailments, including upper respiratory conditions, skin wounds, abscesses, dehydration, malnutrition, dental problems, eye and bladder infections, “and other medical conditions that could have been resolved with proper husbandry,” she said.

Officials believe the cats came from a variety of sources from all over the United States. They were transferred to the Clarion County Humane Society where are being treated by veterinarians so they can be made available for adoption in the near future.

Tiger Ranch is a non profit 501(c)(3) organization registered to Lin Marie, and has been in operation since 1994. Its mission, as listed on its website, http://www.tigerranch.org/, is “to provide a sanctuary (safe haven) for abandoned, abused, neglected, unwanted friendly and feral cats; a viable alternative to euthanasia.” However, the Web site lists no address or contact information.

###

About the ASPCA®
    Founded in 1866, the ASPCA® (The American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals®) was the first humane organization established in the Americas, and today has more than one million supporters throughout North America. A 501 [c] [3] not-for-profit corporation, the ASPCA’s mission is to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to animals throughout the United States. The ASPCA provides local and national leadership in animal-assisted therapy, animal behavior, animal poison control, anti-cruelty, humane education, legislative services, and shelter outreach. The New York City headquarters houses a full-service, accredited, animal hospital, adoption center, and mobile clinic outreach program. The Humane Law Enforcement department enforces New York’s animal cruelty laws and is featured on the reality television series “Animal Precinct” on Animal Planet. For more information, please visit www.aspca.org.

About the PSPCA
    The Pennsylvania SPCA is dedicated to rescuing animals from abuse and neglect, providing lifesaving care and treatment, guaranteeing a home for every adoptable animal, and reducing pet-overpopulation through low-cost spay-and-neuter clinics and public awareness initiatives. Through these efforts, we prevent cruelty towards animals and promote respect for their welfare, thus enhancing the lives of people and their companion animals throughout the state of Pennsylvania.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

This is gut-wrenching, unbearably heartbreaking.
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

reply tp PSPCA

i really hope everyone can learn from this...i dont completely blame lynn...she did what she could for animals that others wouldnt take care of and she couldnt do it herseff. i blame vets for high cost, bigger humane scieties for not addressing the problem earlier and charging or turning away the publc, the public for not helpiing, and lack of funding. please give her some credit...she is really nice. thanks.

Rather than place blame, I would hope that it would encourage the general public to get their animals spayed and neutered. There are too many irresponsible pet owners.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I hope all people in PA can get behind the PSPCA and push for more low-cost spay and neuter and MORE FUNDING for the shelters that already exist. As I said to Rachel in a PM, there are two other PTrs here from PA that find themselves easily with too many cats and no homes for them - though the one gal seems to have a bit better luck.

If just ONE politician can be made to care...if vets could sell gift certificates so non-pet owners could help out those who do own pets...

One of the PTrs works close to a Congress member's office...

Something has to be done...a start made.

God please bless the souls of those poor cats...and comfort those still living and ill; bless and strengthen those who are working from their hearts and with every last bit of their strength to save Your creatures.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda