Thread: Anyone here ever had bunion surgery?

Anyone here ever had bunion surgery?

I've had a bunion on my left foot for quite a while now and it's getting worse. I've had to donate most of my shoes to Goodwill because I can no longer get my foot into them, comfortably anyhow. Yesterday I went shopping for clothes and I used to shop til I drop. Well, I'm dropping a lot sooner than I used to. I shopped for 5 hours and I was in such agony by the time I got home, I could hardly stand it. I had a wretched night because the bunion itself does not hurt but it causes me to compensate so that my leg, knee and hip are very painful. I didn't fall asleep until nearly 4:30 AM and I still kept waking during the night. I've briefly talked to 3 people who have had bunion surgery and all 3 told me that the post op pain was awful and one person said her bunion grew back! I don't expect the post op to be totally pain free but another drawback is that they all said they had to miss work for 6 - 8 weeks. Good grief, who would take care of my Fur Posse for that length of time? If any of you have had this surgery and you feel like posting, I sure could use the feedback. If you prefer to PM me, that's ok, too.

Just so you know, I hardly ever wear high heels any more, although I admit to having worn them daily when I was working in an office years ago. I even had special shoes made a couple of years ago and they did help for a while but I wore them while shopping yesterday and I think they actually made the pain worse.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I knew someone who had the surgery and her experience was similar to what you reported. Extreme post op pain, out of work quite some time. Her surgery was a success and she was thrilled several months later, when it was all 'in the past' and she could walk and talk about it!

I would imagine there is a forum / chat board for it if you wanted to do a google search.

One of my best friends growing up (and we're still friends) has had surgery on BOTH of her feet. However, we were in high school so being young had it's advantages.
    One time when she was on crutches we had stopped at a friends house. She was standing by the car with the car door open. I was in the drivers seat. One of the guys was messing around and laying on my hood, so I put the car in reverse to "throw" him off. Yeah, I smacked my friend and made her drag her foot on the ground. I felt so bad and was crying, but she was laughing. Luckily there was no severe damage from my stupidity.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

*Raises Hand* I had bunion surgery about 20 years ago on my left foot.

I feel your pain, it was unbearable and changed my gait so my legs, hips, back hurt. Before surgery, I used a foam toe seperator for some relief, but only when I could wear sneakers.

You get a twighlight sleep and novocaine so you don't feel anything until..exactly 7 hours later. The first time you stand up and the blood rushes to the toe..well. I'll say this..back surgery was easier. I swear. Agony doesn't begin to explain the pain.

But it's better after a day or two. I had to keep my foot elevated. (I also had a bone spur removed from my little piggy toe but no pain that I recall). Learning crutches was a *b* and I did steps on my butt. I was out of work 8 weeks. Unfortunately, since I'm very arthritic, and the podiatrist knew this, he opted NOT to pin my toe to set it permanently straight. I had to wear a toe seperator with a hole cut in my sneaker afterwards. The bunion doesn't grow back. What happens is the toe can shift back in the same direction and not stay straight. That happened to me but I'm pain free.

I still have a bunion on my right foot but it never hurt. I'm not sorry I did it. I'm sure surgery has improved in 20 years. It's worth a doc's opinion. I was told bunions are hereditary. Thanks mom and dad.

I've been Boooo'd!

I have not had it - I was diagnosed with severely pronated feet - a.k.a. bunions - starting with the podiatrist saying, "You know you have really really really really really flat feet, right?" and me saying, "No, I don't! Dad and Jody have flat feet, not me!" That was 15 years ago. I was given the option of orthotics in my shoes or surgery. Well, I figured because of my age, I didn't want to have to do the surgery again in another 25 years, and another 25 years after that, so I said I'd try the orthotics. Well, I have worn them faithfully ever since, and my feet no longer hurt, and in fact that bunions have gradually been reduced in size now that the orthotics enforce an arch in my feet, and keep me from wanting to stand with my feet turned onto the outside edges. If I went barefoot for a whole day and was on my feet a lot, I'd be sore at the end of the day, but I just don't do that much anyway.

My grandmother had bunion surgery when I was a kid, she was in her mid-sixties, so I was completely startled when the doc diagnosed me with bunions at age 28!
    I've Been Frosted

I guess I'm just going to have to muster up some courage and see an orthopedic surgeon. I can't continue like this. I didn't sleep again last night because my foot still hurt from one day of shopping two days ago. Ridiculous. I'm sure I could get someone to help me w/the Fur Posse for a few days or maybe even a week but no more than that, so I guess I'd have to master crutches and stairs quickly. I'm to see my dr. for a followup in a week or so and I'll ask him for a referral. Thanx, everyone.
    Blessings,
    Mary

I had bunion surgery May 1, 2008

The surgery went very well. I had general anesthesia and had it done outpatient. I was off work for 10 days (2 weekends). I had to keep my foot up and stay off of it for the first week except to go to the bathroom. Went to the doctor to get my stitches out after that first week and started wearing an air case (only when I walked). I didn't have to wear it 24/7. I had to wear the cast for 4 weeks. Today is the last day. I was prescribed 12 therapy visits and that is going well. I have 4 more visits to go. My foot is still swollen but there is minimal pain. I go back to the doctor on Monday (June 9) and hopefully he will set me free. I had this surgery done on my right foot five years ago and I am pain free today. I am so glad I had it done. Any questions?

My daughter had the surgery about 6 months ago. She was off work for 10 days. I went over to her house to stay with her. Turned out, she didn't even need me except for the first day. I didn't have to do much of anything for her either. She had relatively little pain. Her Podiatrist put her on a pain pill schedule with three different pills. She followed that exactly as instructed. She had no trouble at all. She is a person with an attitude that's as positive and uplifting as it gets. She never lets anything bother her so she may have not been telling me all of the details. I was amazed at how well she did. I kept telling her about how much pain she would have when the numbing agents would wear off. It never happened. It still bothers her occasionally but only a little, after she walks alot. More discomfort than pain. Her doctor did say it could come back too.

Mary, I wish you luck. I know she was having a considerable amount of pain before the surgery. She was complaining about it at that time. Getting the surgery will help to get rid of the intense pain, I hope.
    I also found it interesting that her doctor said her foot was full of arthritis. I didn't know arthritis could be so bad in a person in their early 30's. Her doc said that alone should have been pretty painful.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Can someone who has had bunion surgery tell me about their recovery? Just wondering how long it took them before they could wear regular shoes. I tried this morning to wear stretchy sandals but my foot is still swollen so it was still uncomfortable. Does anyone have suggestions on what kind of shoe to wear? It's been 5 weeks since my surgery.

I think it was at 6 weeks with my daughter. Her foot was tender for awhile. I think she was able to wear her regular dress shoes but she may have gone with her sneakers for a couple of weeks because they were roomier. The next time I talk to her, I'll try to remember to get an update on her foot. I'm curious to see how she's doing now.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

If I remember correctly, I wore a sneaker (running shoe) cut out at the incision sight for about 6-8 weeks. Attractive, ah yes, but after I tried to stuff my foot into a regular shoe and nearly died from the pain, I figured I'd let nature take it's course.

I've been Boooo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by PBenn View Post
    The surgery went very well. I had general anesthesia and had it done outpatient. I was off work for 10 days (2 weekends). I had to keep my foot up and stay off of it for the first week except to go to the bathroom. Went to the doctor to get my stitches out after that first week and started wearing an air case (only when I walked). I didn't have to wear it 24/7. I had to wear the cast for 4 weeks. Today is the last day. I was prescribed 12 therapy visits and that is going well. I have 4 more visits to go. My foot is still swollen but there is minimal pain. I go back to the doctor on Monday (June 9) and hopefully he will set me free. I had this surgery done on my right foot five years ago and I am pain free today. I am so glad I had it done. Any questions?

Thank you so much for posting this. It's really helpful to me and, if my Fur Posse will give me a break w/vet bills, I may consider having the surgery. (I have terrible health insurance and it's really only good if I have something catastrophic happen. I usually end up paying for most of the medical bills.)
    Blessings,
    Mary

I had bunion surgery on my left foot when I was 14.

My leg was in a full cast from knee to foot. I don't think they do that anymore.

Post Op was pretty sore for a few days, but I was up and hobbling around in no time. Can't recall how long I had the cast on. All I know is it was summertime and it felt like an eternity.

I still have a bunion on my right foot. I don't have too many problems with shoes, but it aches a lot and hurts like hell if I bump it. Planning to have it removed in the near future.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June