Thread: Hmm to graduate or not to graduate?

Hmm to graduate or not to graduate?

Ginger's puppy classes are almost over but I can't decide if we should let her graduate or put her through again. She does OK at home and if there aren't many distractions but she hasn't really mastered any of the commands yet. The trainer says that she is the most energetic Golden Retriever she has ever met Despite our best efforts at training her she still does not have as much focus as the other pups in class. On top of that, loose leash walking is a joke unless she is wearing her gentle leader.. I just can't decide if she would benefit from repeating the course or not. She will sit/stay and down/stay while I walk about 10 feet away and will stay there for 20 seconds or so but if ANYTHING distracts her she is off. What are your thoughts? Am I expecting too much from a 3.5 month old puppy?
    Visit my website to learn about fabulous kitchen gadgets and cookware! www.pamperedchef.biz/melissawendl

My Layla went through three classes and I'd like to take her again. No matter what Ginger will benefit from the socialization and maybe she's more ready to learn things now.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I think you are expecting too much from a 3.5 month old puppy. Hang in there and keep working with her.

My Ginger went through three levels of PetsMart classes (and what they teach in those three levels do overlap, so ask your instructor if she is ready for the next level), then we switched to Focus classes at Allen's Kennels, then to agility classes. So you can and should sign her up for more classes. A 6-8 week class is a good beginning, but it is only the beginning, in teaching a puppy. Personally, I really enjoyed going to classes with Ginger, and if I hadn't purchased a computer in 2004, and start spending so much time on the computer, I would probably have taken many more classes with her. It is something that I now regret. It is fun.

Zoee was about 5 months old when she went to the beginners class. We should have put her through again, but decided we'd do it "later". Yeah, well later never came. To this day we keep saying she needs more obedience classes. She is not out of control or anything, but she has horrible recall, usually that is only a problem right here in our own front yard. We live on a court so no worries of cars.
    I would probably suggest to put Ginger through again, if you can.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Personally, I've never taken basic obedience classes, and we actually started Agility Foundation classes when Ivy was 6 months. By that time, she'd mastered the basic 5 with distractions. So I think how often you can practice the training is more important than how many classes you take.

Since you've already gone through one round of classes and know where your weak spots are (generalizing the behavior/practicing in distractive places), I say pass this upcoming class and take the opportunity to train Ginger consistently, constantly, and anywhere and everywhere you possibly can. Also, she is very young! 5 minutes of practice around the house and your town will produce a well-polished pup in a matter of weeks.

ETA: If you ever need help with training, too, you know we're all here to help

(P.S. For "Focus", try Doggie Zen. Once your pup understands that eye contact = treats and work, you can then use eye contact as a default behavior, like Sit.)

I think you are expecting too much from a GOLDEN. If I remember right, they are known for staying in puppyhood until up to 2 years of age. So she is quite young to be mastering anything, in "Golden" puppy years.

What does the instructor think? If she does not graduate, do you get to return without paying again?

In "my" experience...Practice makes perfect!
    Whether or not you take her back to school practice, practice, practice!!!

Roxey was the only one I kept taking to school (she loved it) and I'm sorry I didn't keep up with the other two. I think it would have made a HUGE difference.

Here we have puppy kindergarten/beginners obedience/advanced obedience and then other classes that are more advanced and do different things like search and agility.

Did your instructor send you home with homework? Our always did. She'd give us a sheet for the whole week.
    Three times a day we worked on different things (so she wouldn't get bored of the same thing time after time-she is a husky after all and gets bored easily...lol) I think it made all the difference in the world.

Whatever you decide...PRACTICE

Good Luck

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

I have to agree with Robin.

The most valuable part of going to Obedience classes, with dogs of any age, is to to "train" YOU as the owner. Do you feel that you'd benefit from taking another round of classes? Are there some commands that you aren't totally consistent with and totally understand? Do you have any questions or are you having difficulty training anything? If so, I would go back, if I were you. : )

Classes are also a great opportunity to practice commands with distraction... but she should be doing those commands flawlessly at home, before you can even begin to expect her to obey them with other dogs/people/in a different environment. If you aren't practicing every day, at home, you won't get much out of the classes.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Pups do learn at different rates. It wouldn't hurt to take her through
    again. The pups don't really learn from the classes themselves, but the
    repetition of instruction exercises over & over. Working with them at home
    with 15-20 min lessons is what really teaches them what you expect of
    them.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt