Thread: Odd aggressive/playful behavior

Odd aggressive/playful behavior

I have a redbone coonhound mix and about 95% of the day he is pretty laid back, easy going dog. He is about 7 mos old and does have a lot of that puppy energy which we try to help him get out by taking him for walks, playing fetch and a couple times a week he goes to puppy daycare where he gets to run around all day.

Every night though (and now sometimes during the day) he gets into this mood where I or my wife will be sitting on the couch and he'll start barking at us, a playful growl and will then grab our feet or hands, sometimes clothes with his teeth and tug on us while growling or barking. We try to ignore him or go to a place where he can't get to, sometimes we put him into his crate, nothing seems to curb this (sometimes a few trips to his crate will work) but it happens every day and is getting very old.

Also now when we are outside with him he is becoming very jumpy and showing similar behavior.

Looking for some tips on how we might be able to remedy this

Thanks in advance.

He's just being a mouthy, attention-seeking puppy.

Teach him that nipping will only remove your attention and end play. Thus, when you are on the couch and he's mouthing you to play, get up and walk out of the room. Close the door on him. It seems a little drastic, but playful puppies often enjoy "bad" attention (i.e. you yelling "No!" at him) so it's best to just completely remove yourself from the situation. When you walk back into the room, calmly go to the couch. If he mouths you again, repeat. As soon as you can walk back in and he's sleeping on his own bed or calmly waiting for you, you can praise him. Same routine when he's outside. If he's mouthing you to play, walk back into the house and remove yourself from his presence. Come back out into the yard. If he mouths you, leave again. If he's not mouthing you and is instead sitting or waiting calmly, praise and then play. It'd also be a good time to enforce Nothing in Life is Free (if dog wants something, dog must perform for it - like "Sit" before you can eat, "Down" before I give you attention, etc.).

He's most likely doing this to get your attention, you can use this to your advantage by making him doing something he already knows such as sitting or lying down. When he does obey the command that's when you give him the attention he wants. This is what I did when my dog was a puppy and now whenever she wants something she will either lie down or sit pretty (sit with her 2 front paws up) and wait.

Paws In Art

Perfectly normal, but annoying, behavior for a pup his age. In addition to the above suggestions, you could head off some of this by knowing his schedule and giving him some good exercise. Pups this age need tons of exercise several times a day. So, try to anticipate this behavior and before it occurs take your boy out for a good walk, run, or other exercise. Wear him out and he'll be interested in napping rather than grabbing.

Another thing you can do when he begins to act up is to have him follow a command by asking him to sit, lie down, etc. If he responds to the command, reward him with his exercise routine.

Exercise several times a day, if you have time, is not too much especially for a pup this age. Hang in there - it will get easier!
    Jan and 7 yo collie Bailey, CGC,TDIAOV

How to Love Your Dog
    http://loveyourdog.com

Therapy Dogs.Net
    http://therapydogs.net

Bailey at Dog of the Day
    Cody at Dog of the Day

Thanks all I appreciate the responses. Trying to communicate with him (sit/down/etc...) is a little tough but he does get the idea when he's in that mode, but leaving the room does get the message across after awhile.

Hopefully he'll grow out of this stage soon