Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Betta Owners -- Need Tank Ideas

Betta Owners -- Need Tank Ideas

I convinced hubby to let me have a betta (it was either a betta or a tortoise hehe and I figured a betta takes up less space, is less expensive to care for, and easier to care for). We're going to pick one out Friday but I was wondering if I could get some ideas of tank set-ups from you guys? Just a picture and general description or suggestions would be great! Thank you all so much

facebook

Less space, and a lot cheaper. Tortoises can be more expensive than dogs for upkeep. How big is the tank? I once had a tank with hamster toobs for the fish to swim through. You just have to use the toob with an extra opening at the top so the betta can swim through to the surface.

"There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Natural style:

yes, the fish isn't a betta but my betta' also lived in this set-up

or my old "Betta Blitz"

Those are fake glow-in-the-dark plants, they look great:-)
    "Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this"

Really simple 1 gallon with Miko(RIP):

20 gallon sorority:

1.5 gallon with Tux(RIP):

2 gallon with Steele(RIP):

2 gallon with Sly:

Just a few...of and congrats but watch out they are addicting!

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

My boy is in about a 5 - 6 litre tank, heated and filtered. I also change his real plant every couple of weeks, and a quarter to half water change once a week - 9 or so days. He is due for a water change, hence why his water level is a little low at the moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I'm using 11 litre tanks (about 2 gallons I think) with very simple setting.
    Might add decorations later such as sunken ship or bridge - haven't decided yet.

Our room temperature is in the low 70s in the winter and high 70s in the summer so we don't really need a heater or a cooler. If you need a heater than perhaps you should go for a bigger tank.

this is Max, btw, my new betta boy.
    difficult to take his pictures because he is moving all the time.

I like seeing the contast of the colour of the fish and the plant.
    Will get a blue boy for the tank with the red plant, or maybe another colour but definitely not red again

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

Flame is in a 1.5 gallon Hex tank, and Reno is in a 2.5 gallon Tank.

Here is Flames Tank

And Renos

Reno

Flame
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Thank you all so much! I was thinking of getting around a 2.5 gallon tank, maybe one of the kits. I stopped by walmart just to browse tanks and yes they have bettas there... but I was actually very impressed with the quality of the fish section! Every tank was crystal clear, all the water was clear and clean, you didn't see dead fish floating in every tank, none had ich, they all looked relatively healthy AND they weren't overcrowded! Compared to my last visit a few years back (in Branson the walmart didn't have fish) it is a MAJORRRRR improvement! I still probably will not purchase my fish there, just supplies, but I was very impressed at the quality improvement from my last visit.

facebook

Yeah one of the local wal*marts is horrid and the other one is decent. It depends on the management and the employees. Good luck on your betta!

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

Do filters stress out your bettas? I've heard with some it does and with some it won't. Is it more common one way or the other?

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika
    Do filters stress out your bettas? I've heard with some it does and with some it won't. Is it more common one way or the other?
    I have a small filter in my 2.5 gallon, that came with the tank. It stressed Flame out, So i moved him to the 1.5 gallon w/ no filter.Reno is now in the 2.5 gallon, and dosent seem to mind the filter at all!
    Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

It depends on the filter and water flow. All bettas should have an area where they can get out of the water flow. I've never had a problem with bettas and a filter though. I wouldn't pay $35 for a tiny tank, I'd pay $20 for a 10 gallon and a submersable filter. Those tiny tanks are complete rip-offs imho.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

I came home this afternoon from school and there on the kitchen table was a betta, tank, rocks, accessories, aeration, food... you name it!! Hubby went to the store while I was at school and picked everything out for me! What a pleasant surprise from a hard long day at school. We're letting the tank sit for now before putting him in; I want to make sure both water temperatures are the same. The tank is all set up now otherwise. I will post pictures and let me know what you think, just in case I'm doing something wrong

facebook

Hey, congrats!
    I'd personally be pretty upset he did it all for me but glad you're happy! I only had my bettas at my dad's house but I loved having them while I was visiting. We had a 10 gal with one betta. It was heavily planted and there was a branch and piece of slate. We put the filter on for 10 minutes every other day or so.

Niņo & Eliza

Congratulations!

Looking forward to seeing the pictures.

thanks k9krazee for the signature!