Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Grapefruit is vile!

Grapefruit is vile!

Grapefruit was on sale this week and I thought "why not try it again?" I eat a lot of fruit daily but it's usually berries and bananas so it's been a while since I've had grapefruit. Now I remember why. It tastes like the stuff that comes up in the back of my throat after I hurl. Sorry, but grapefruit is one nasty fruit. Now what am I gonna do w/these mutant lemons?
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Grapefruit is AWESOME! I eat one a night as I sit in bed and wind down. Do you know all the things grapefruit does for you? It lowers cholesterol. Fights colds and flu. Lowers insulin levels. Its cancer fighting. It helps lose weight because it does something to keep fat cells from binding. Its a miracle fruit!

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper
    Its a miracle fruit!
    Yeah, it's a miracle that anyone can gag it down. I know it has a lot of intrinsically good nutritional value as does all food. But weight loss? Doubtful, except that perhaps it causes loss of appetite after one taste of it. LOL I've personally seen too many people eat it w/out success in losing weight. There are so many "miracle" foods for whatever ails ya; some of them work, some of them are bogus. Nothing really "makes" you lose weight except putting out more than you take in. Exercising more, eating less; basic math. Even if it did work, there's no way I could face eating it every day.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I love Grapefruit, but I can't have it because it interacts with the medication I take. And what I can't have, I crave.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

You can always cheat like I do ... yes grapefruit is a healthy food but it is not so healthy when you put on real sugar

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel
    I love Grapefruit, but I can't have it because it interacts with the medication I take. And what I can't have, I crave.
    He hee, oh yes!

Cut grapefruit in half, using a knife cut around each piece, place in bowl, sprinkle on sugar, and MMMMMMmmmmm!

They have to REALLY sweet ones to just peel and eat; I've had a few that way too.

I haven't had one in several years for the reason above.

I have to say that I've never even tried one!

You're only about 1 1/2 hours from me.... pass them on!
    I'll try them!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    Yeah, it's a miracle that anyone can gag it down.
    Totally -- 100% agree!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa
    Yeah, it's a miracle that anyone can gag it down.
    I totally agree!
    I can't stand it either!
    and Kim I can't believe you can eat it before bed - that would be surefire heartburn for me - eating something so acidic and then laying down..
    my grandma used to cut it up and put sugar on it the night before and let it sit overnite.
    I still didn't like it!

I had to add this
    @ 1am 3-17-08!

ok I can't believe I (me of all people) am going to say this.
    But I bought a grapefruit on Sat. I *think* it was just a plain ol' grapefruit not Ruby Red or anything - the insides weren't real pink/red.
    I cut it in half and doused both halves with lots of sugar and let it set for awhile - sectioned it and took a tentative bite. And I liked it so much I ate BOTH halves!!!
    I was eating it thinking - I can't believe I am doing this. I have had a hate/hate relationship with grapefruit all my life!

Last edited by shais_mom; 03-17-2008 at 12:04 AM. Reason: omg - she likes it?! HEY MIKEY! SHE LIKES IT!!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I LOVE grapefruit!! I love to peel it like an orange and eat the slices. It's an aquired taste, I guess.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I LOVE pink and red grapefruit.

what color did you have? I have never tried white

Me-24
    Hubby-25
    Daughter Zoey is 2 !!!!
    Jasmine 1 month

I've never heard of eating it without sugar on top. Way to sour without
    the sugar. I don't eat it that often. I like oranges better.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

13. Put me in the "I hate Grapefruit" camp. Taste lilke penicillin to me....bleech!

I love grapefruit!!!

If you really dislike it, juice it together with oranges.

I would say three oranges to one grapefruit, so you can't really taste it as much!

As a Floridian I've eaten many grapefruits (we used to have a grapefruit tree in our backyard along with oranges - now we only have a lemon tree.) YUMMY with sugar on them!