Thread: Soft crates

Soft crates

In your experience, how durable are soft crates?

We'll be going to quite a few seminars and workshops in the future and will be needing a crate conducive to travel. I don't want to lug around Ivy's wire crate (WAY too heavy), so I was considering a soft/collapsible crate. I found a used one for about $60, but I wonder how durable and sturdy they really are. Keep in mind, Ivy is extremely strong when she wants to be.

She's also a tad neurotic

What do you all think? If not the soft crate, then I'll have to bite the bullet and buy a second-hand plastic crate.

I have one, I really don't use it though. Though it said it was "light weight" its almost as heavy as the wire ones, and a bigger pain to set up. I did not get it with intentions to leave my dogs in it if I'm not around...its fairly heavy duty for a "soft" crate but they'd destroy it if left alone in it.

I have a really cheap pop up soft crate too, $20 at target, I've used it much more because its easy to transport (small, very lightweight). Its already pretty beat up though, and that's just from Keva sleeping in it at night while we were camping. It doesn't take much at all to tear holes in it.

I have both plastic and wire crates, and I find the wire crates, though they are heavy, much easier to use when traveling. Plastic crates are a pain...if you don't take them apart they are hard to pack around because of sheer size (a large dog crate, at least) and if you take them apart, it takes forever to screw back together the top and the bottom, put on the door, etc. But that's just my personal opinion.

When I went to seminars I used two things, a x-pen and then inside it I put a soft crate in the middle. I LOVE my soft crates, I use them all the time. I have 3 in my room, 2 in my car, and 1 I keep at work. But my dogs tend to sleep the whole time in there crate, so I'm not sure how it will stand up to a really excited Ivy.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Jack has broken SEVERAL wire crates, like actually pulled the bars apart. I got him a slightly smaller soft sided crate and he hasn't been able to get out. But I've only left him unattended in it once, we mainly just use it at agility trials.

I love my folded crate... I use it all the time, for Flyball/Agility/Obedience and for traveling. It only weighs a few pounds (OMG my wire crate literally weighs 80 lbs) and it really is durable. I definitely recommend one, as long as it's well made.

When really, really excited at Flyball tournies, Gonzo has hamster-balled in the soft crate. But, only a few feet. C; And there's a plastic floor insert that can prevent that, for mine.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I have this one. Crate It's a heavy canvas. It's also a pain in the neck to set up. But it's lightweight and easy to transport. I use it when I go to my parents summer place and for weekend trips. Eika destroyed the first one I had when she was a puppy. Luckily, she's outgrown crate destruction.

I spent a near fortune on my collapsable crate when I had Kersey and Graham in agility, and I used it for Boone when I traveled to Austin when he was a young pup and he absolutely shreaded it. We came back to the hotel room and he was at the window wagging his tail. He tore the front off and the sides. We were only gone for about 1/2 hour and it was in about 200 pieces.

They are not too good with overly excited dogs, especially powerful dogs.

Tinny had one for Flyball before she started training and getting excited about it, as soon as she knew what Flyball was about it was the end of the soft crate (it got shredded).

When really, really excited at Flyball tournies, Gonzo has hamster-balled in the soft crate. But, only a few feet. C; And there's a plastic floor insert that can prevent that, for mine.
    Clover has done that before she destroyed her soft crate, it is interesting to watch .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

I've never used one, but I know a few people who do and they seem to work just fine for dogs who don't have chewing issues, or dogs who are quiet in their crate and don't flip out.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Thanks guys.

Okay, from your feedback, soft crates are not for Ivy. She has reactivity problems, is very strong, and slightly crazy I'm sure she'd hamster ball her way out if she didn't shred it in the first place.

Anybody have any good suggestions for foldable plastic crates? If I can't find one, I'll probably just buy a used vari-kennel off somebody.

I think there's a brand called furarri... or something like that. They are plastic crates and instead of having to undo all the screws like with a vari kennel, they have snaps. So easy to undo and put back together... I'll have a look and see if I can get the exact name....

Edit:
    Here's the one I mean...
    http://www.canvasbackpets.com/ShopSite/product325.html

*Thanks Ashley*