Thread: Please Help!!! Sunny's Driving Me Crazy!!!!

Please Help!!! Sunny's Driving Me Crazy!!!!

Hi, my cat Sunny will be 8 years old in late August but he still acts like a big kitten. Lately he's been cat calling very loudly at night and he's disturbing my sleep. I know he wants attention and he does this to try to get one of his siblings to come out and play. No one seems to want to play with him so I would think that he'd give up but he continues. He's even been doing this in the morning now. Pearl will also do this in the morning back in bathroom so it makes a nice loud echo. She'll be 3 later this month and both of them are indoor only and both have been spayed and neutered.

I also feed them their last feeding usually around 11pm so Sunny shouldn't be hungry. I've also been using the feliway plugins and I've even been using the spray to help keep everyone calm. I live on the second floor in a condo building so I'm worried that one of my neighbors will start complaining. Luckily my roommate sleeps like a rock she this doesn't disturb her at all. Has any one every had this kind of situation? What should I do? Thanks.

Three of my cats do this for a few weeks every Spring.

Tracey, I know how you feel - Fister has started a similar behaviour since I came back. He comes up to cuddle while I'm reading, and when I go to sleep he wanders around for about half an hour, then comes up and miaws right in my face, very loud!!He does again a few hours later. It's so annoying to be woken up just after you fall asleep, isn't it!

I'm afraid I can't give you any advice, except, give him lots of attention before you go to bed. Let's hope it because of spring and they'll stop it soon!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thanks. I'm glad that I'm not alone. Sunny used to this when he was younger and then again when I had Cirrus. Cirrus would come out and play with him so then Sunny would stop his cat calling. He's been doing it again for the last few weeks or so. He just has too much energy for his own good.

I read about possibly giving cats melatonin to help with this problem but I won't do it until my vet says it's okay. I'll ask my holistic vet about it today when I see her. Sunny's already taking an herbal pill to help calm him down. Here's an article about it here://http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/melatonin-melatonex/page1.aspx

Link now works.
    Last edited by krazyaboutkatz; 05-07-2008 at 11:47 AM.

My Creamsicle has always done this, not every night, but several nights a week for, say, 5 minutes and then she stops and settles in. I wait it out. Wish I could be of more help.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I just got back from my holistic vet and since Sunny is already taking the Calm Spirit Teapills 2 times a day,she said to try giving him 2 of them at night. Hopefully this will help calm him down so I can get some sleep.

How about an interactive toy - like the ball in those plastic circles? Or a good playtime before you go to bed? Or a good catnip fest?

Even though there are natural remedies, I prefer playtime over pills...but depends on your schedule.

hugs!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

He has so many toys and also has the one you're talking about. I think he prefers to play chase with his siblings though.

Krazyaboutkatz

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    Hi, my cat Sunny will be 8 years old in late August but he still acts like a big kitten. Lately he's been cat calling very loudly at night and he's disturbing my sleep. I know he wants attention and he does this to try to get one of his siblings to come out and play. No one seems to want to play with him so I would think that he'd give up but he continues. He's even been doing this in the morning now. Pearl will also do this in the morning back in bathroom so it makes a nice loud echo. She'll be 3 later this month and both of them are indoor only and both have been spayed and neutered.

I also feed them their last feeding usually around 11pm so Sunny shouldn't be hungry. I've also been using the feliway plugins and I've even been using the spray to help keep everyone calm. I live on the second floor in a condo building so I'm worried that one of my neighbors will start complaining. Luckily my roommate sleeps like a rock she this doesn't disturb her at all. Has any one every had this kind of situation? What should I do? Thanks.
    Congratulations! You have an 8 year old going on 2 years old. Sound like my cat but he's 9 going on 2. He's just a very needy cat. Baxter when he was a kitten we called him Baby Baxter and then we just called him Baxter.
    He got upset until we called him Baby Baxter. Your cat is just a big baby like mine.
    Sandy

Sweety our feral will call for about 6-8 minutes at a time. We just wait it out. This happens 2-3 times a day. Some of our CREW are not as patience at night so one or more will chase her, until she stops the call.
    I know this is not much help but we do have the sympathy.
    GILL & Crew;

Things have calmed down quite a bit lately because now Sunny is on 2 calming herbal pills at night. He'll still cat call a little bit but it's not as bad as before so I can now get some sleep. I only wish that one of my other cats would go out there and chase Sunny around to make him stop. He just wants some one to play with during the wee hours of the night and sometimes in the morning too.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post

Hi, what are feliway plugins and what spray do u use to keep your cats calm? Where do I get them because my 1 and a half yr. old is a scaredy cat and jumps at just about every noise. Giving her the attention and love she needs doesn't seem to do it so, when i came across your email I thought I'd ask u about it. Thanks.