Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what is so cool about your state?

1- do you live in the city? or the country?
    Suburb-ish. It's in the hills, so we have a 14,000 sq ft lot that is virtually unusable because it's so steep. You have no idea how much that hurts

2- do you have a home or apartment?
    Home.

3- what do you pay for living expenses?
    Well, we'll be done paying our mortgage in June.

4- what you do LOVE about your state?
    I really can't answer this because I live in the Bay Area, which is pretty different from the vast majority of California. In the Bay, though, I love the diversity, the tolerance, the constant humming of new ideas and breakthroughs, etc.

5- what do you HATE about your state?
    The violence: We are home to Oakland, Compton, and Richmond. 'nuff said.

We currently live in the city... one day we would like to move to the country and there is LOTS around here

We live in a house but are renting and are currently in the process of buying a new home

that's a tough one since right now we rent from a friend and she is cutting us a deal. But we are buying a 2 bedroom w/ full basement, garage, fenced in yard for less than $140,000

I love that it is very rural... even the city. We have a big farmers market and you often see amish buggies riding down the street. Everyone here has been so generous and friendly to us.

Being amish country we get a lot of tourists who have no respect for the residents.... and Ed Rendell lol

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Not much, really. Connecticut is one of the highest taxed states in the country. Companies are leaving to go overseas, unemployment is high, rents are through the roofs.

I think the only thing I like about my state, is the fact that I was born and raised here and all my family and friends are here. If it weren't for that, I'd probably be somewhere else (Certainly NOT Michigan), someplace warm, where the rents are REASONABLE AND you don't have to pay taxes on your car every year.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

This is what I like about where I live.

I used to be able to wake up in the desert and watch the sun come up over the mountains. Eat breakfast and be in snow a few feet deep for lunchtime, then have my dinner by the beach while I watch the sun go down in the Pacific. All in one day.

I hate the effing traffic.

Since you live in Utah, you probably already know about, and don't want to move to, Wyoming. LOL

I live in a very small town, 300 people, but it's only 5 miles away from a small city of 20,000.

Own a house

My house is paid for, but when I had a mortgage it was about $1,000 per month.

There are few people. Wyoming is the least populated of all fifty states, with about 400,000 people total. So there are a LOT of open spaces. It is relatively safe from random crime. There is no humidity.

I hate wind, snow, cold. I would like to live in a greener, warmer, wetter climate.

I used to live in Colorado. I LOVED it. Great weather, beautiful area.

I also used to live in Indiana. It was pretty and green, and the people were nice, but I could do without the humidity.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

In the city (well, suburb, specifically)
    It's a condominium
    Mortgage and association fee = $700/month; utilities (that's telephone, cable TV, cell phone, electric) about another $150; commuting expenses... 18 miles each way x $3.25/gallon, plus tolls ... let's call it $100 per month, that is probably a low estimate; plus there are groceries, medical expenses, laundry and some other incidentals.
    4- what you do LOVE about your state? Chicago in summer. Lots going on.
    5- what do you HATE about your state? Traffic! High cost of living - next step would be a condo or townhouse with a garage and laundry room, but there is nothing in the area I can afford. I'd have to move well away from Chicagoland to stay in my price range, which would send my commuting expenses through the ceiling. -- Taxes, taxes and more taxes. Cook County is one of the highest taxing counties in the nation. Did I mention traffic? Public transportation is good for suburbs to Chicago, but not between suburbs.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I live in a suburb of the capital city. There aren't any side walks on my street, but we are only a couple miles from downtown Columbia.

My mortgage is paid; I rent out another house, a small 2-bedroom 1 bath house with a fenced yard for $550 a month plus utilities. Gas and electric for this house average about $160 a month. My utilities are higher because I use more gas and electricity to keep all the critters comfortable. Or maybe that's just my excuse!

I like being close to all the shopping and entertainment. We have the Koger Center for the Performing Arts, the Coliseum for sporting events and some concerts, the Convention Center for more concerts, the Township for shows and concerts and the Fairgrounds for craft shows, home and boat shows, and of course for the State Fair every year. We have a lot of good places to eat, two dog parks, and several regular parks. Finley Park has free music every Saturday night in the summer, with food vendors. Every weekend has something going on.

The people here are pretty friendly and willing to help when you need help. We have three animal rescues as well as three different city animal control groups. The only one that does a lot of adoptions is Pets, Inc.

We get a spring, summer, fall and winter. The leaves change in the fall and we have a lot of pollen in the spring. The only thing I don't like is the humidity in the summer.

The area is only a couple of hours from the mountains of Asheville, NC, Myrtle Beach, SC or Charleston, SC. With two major highways, it's easy to get around. Of course, there ARE some crazy drivers here.

Gas is a little lower than a lot of places and we have very little bus service. Lots of cabs, though.

I don't live in the USA, but I thought I would reply anyway. I live in Surrey, BC - very close to Vancouver.

Do you live in the city? or the country?

We live in the city.

Do you have a home or apartment?

We live in an apartment.

What do you pay for living expenses?

We pay $1000.00 per month for rent, less than $60.00 every two months for electricity, $105.00 per month for digital cable and internet and $35.00 per month for our phone.

What you do LOVE about your state?

We live in the "City of Parks", with over 400 beautiful parks to explore. Many of these parks are dog friendy, so dog people love it here. We have pretty good weather here, our Winters aren't too cold, and our Summers aren't too hot.

What do you HATE about your state?

The increase in gang violence, druggies in some areas and lot's of prostitution. You are guaranteed to see at least 5 druggies and few prostitutes on a daily basis. I hate that my kids have to see that.

AMADEUS AUGUSTUS SEBASTIAN THEODORE