Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what is so cool about your state?

what is so cool about your state?

so, i have been getting that Spring Bug in my ear lately, and have been tossing the idea of moving to another state my hubby thinks i am nuts, and wants to stay here, but, i want adventure and fun things in my life. do no get me wrong, i love my state, but, there are 49 others to choose from. Here is the thing, i want to move somewhere, but i do not know where. it will have to be after the twins are born and we are out of school ( which will be around February 2009)

So, PT members, pony up and tell me about your state/city? here are some questions i have, you do not have to answer all of them, just the ones you want

1- do you live in the city? or the country?
    2- do you have a home or apartment?
    3- what do you pay for living expenses?
    4- what you do LOVE about your state?
    5- what do you HATE about your state?

feel free to tell me anything you would like about where you live and what not. i will keep and eye on this one to see who has the neatest state, and if you have a state you do not live in but did at one point, share that too..

come on PT, let's here it
    1 lab/GSD mix pup, Thunder
    1 lab whippet mix, Cinni
    the Flock: Lovebird,peppermint; 2 finches, Lilo & stitch
    The Aquatics: 4 Red eared sliders, Mikey, Ralphie, SPunky, Baby "T". YBS, Capt Jack Sparrow, 4 Goldfish, Golden,AJ, BJ, Silver Scrappy Doo. 2 ADF;s, BigButt & Kermie. 2 Tertra's UK. 1 new GF scooby doo.
    The little furBabies: 2 dwarf hamsters, Snow,Cinderella.
    RIP Little Jasmine Dwarf Hamster. 2/20/2008
    Wife to: Jeremy, 34
    Mother to: 13 yr old son, Brady
    MTB: a boy and girl TBD on names

East Providence, RI. Home to one of the Looff Carousels! Ours is the most elaborate, as it was used for selling. It has at least one of EVERYTHING, so buyers could see what the horses, chariots, etc. looked like and pick what they wanted. It even has a camel! 62 hand carved wood figures and 4 chariots.

As you go around, there is a place where you snag a ring. If you get the gold one, you get a free ride. If not, there is a place where you toss your ring (into a Clown's mouth) and then you try again.
    Looff, one of the earliest and foremost carousel designers, built the Crescent Park Carousel in 1895. Looff's trademark was the overall richness of effect and the Crescent Park Carousel gives full interpretation to that spirit. Elaborate embelishments of decorative panels, beveled mirrors, faceted glass jewels, electric lights, colored sandwich glass windows, and its orginal band organ music surround the flying steeds to create Looff's "Total Carousel Experience".

The Crescent Park Carousel, nationally recognized as a true masterpiece of wood sculpture, was rescued in the 1970's by a handful of East Providence residents. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Sites and Places in 1976. In 1985 the Rhode Island General Assembly proclaimed the carousel as the "State Jewel of American Folk Art". In 1987, the Department of the Interior's National Park Service designated the carousel as a National Historic Landmark.

Here is a link to the carousel web site. This link takes you into the photo gallery, so you can see the horses and camel. You can explore the rest of the site if you wish.

http://www.crescentparkcarousel.com/...usel/index.htm

1- do you live in the city? or the country? City. Kinda on the edges.

2- do you have a home or apartment? Apartment

3- what do you pay for living expenses? I pay 555 per month for rent on a 2bed/1ba apartment. Electric varies GREATLY depending on all the variables. It's usually around 50-100. I pay 145 per month for cable/internet/phone.

4- what you do LOVE about your state? I love the scenery, I must say! I love the diversity.

5- what do you HATE about your state? The wind. The lack of animal friendly housing.

City - Somerville, MA

Apartment

$825 a month (for a basement!)

Mountains, sea, farmland, AND night life, plenty of jobs (good thing because you need 2), loads of great music/theatre/other fun stuff, easy to get around, chatty/gregarious culture so it's easy to find like-minded people to have fun and cooperate with

REALLY expensive - really have to pick and choose among the concerts and such because I'm just barely getting by!

1- I live in a township about an hour north of the D (Aka Detroit). It's almost the country but not quite.
    2- We own our home and pay $350/month. Before you say 'wow'. It is only 500sq ft. It was built in the 1940's when all the young men were coming back from the war and they just threw up a bunch of house really quick. All the homes on our street are from the same time but have been updated. We're the only 'original' left (We'll be updating and adding 1000sq ft on this spring.
    3- I'm a registered nurse and work on an orthopedic/neurologic unit and Josh is an apprentice electrician.
    4- The more North you go the more beautiful it gets. People think MI and they think Detroit but there is so much more. The Great Lakes are truely that. There are so many things to do in the summer.
    5- The horrible economic outlook. All of our major employers are leaving or downsizing. I saw a report recently of the worst cities in the country and two of MI's were in the top 3 (Detroit and Flint). As far as states we are behind only to Louisianna and it took an act of God to put them in the "worst" state in the union category.

Critter Mom to: Zoe-Rott/Pit Mix, Chloe- Persian, Lisa & Lola-Hermit Crabs, COMING SOON Pinky Pie-Cornsnake

looks like there is alot of responses, but i need more LMAO i need more come on people LOL there are a total of 49 states out there LOL and i crave more education..

Just kidding all your responses are great and give me some ideas to go on. i have always been fond of the country life, given the right area and surroundings you can find yourself in a peaceful place.

thanks again for the responses and i will follow up with some of the states that have been given.
    1 lab/GSD mix pup, Thunder
    1 lab whippet mix, Cinni
    the Flock: Lovebird,peppermint; 2 finches, Lilo & stitch
    The Aquatics: 4 Red eared sliders, Mikey, Ralphie, SPunky, Baby "T". YBS, Capt Jack Sparrow, 4 Goldfish, Golden,AJ, BJ, Silver Scrappy Doo. 2 ADF;s, BigButt & Kermie. 2 Tertra's UK. 1 new GF scooby doo.
    The little furBabies: 2 dwarf hamsters, Snow,Cinderella.
    RIP Little Jasmine Dwarf Hamster. 2/20/2008
    Wife to: Jeremy, 34
    Mother to: 13 yr old son, Brady
    MTB: a boy and girl TBD on names

1- do you live in the city? or the country? Country (2 families with over 12 horses on my road alone)

2- do you have a home or apartment? Home

3- what do you pay for living expenses? House $1000.00 Electric, around 325.

4- what you do LOVE about your state? The views.. Everything country. Very Close to the ocean and mountains. Not unusual to wake up and see horses running, cows mooing and wild animals in your yard.

5- what do you HATE about your state? Fort Bragg, all the military guys swooning over any girl that walks by Not many people think as I do about animals "shoot, shovel, and shut up" and Animal control still uses gas to put the animals down. The HUGE overpopulation of pets, and only one no kill in the area....

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

1- do you live in the city? or the country? Just outside of Atlanta, GA
    2- do you have a home or apartment? Apartment
    3- what do you pay for living expenses? $985 a month for a 2 bedroom, 2 bath apartment. $150 in utilities
    4- what you do LOVE about your state? Honestly, I hate the area I live in, but the area outside of the city, when you get into the country farm land is amazing. The rollings hills, old / large trees and amazing farms make me love every inch of Georgia's farm land!
    5- what do you HATE about your state? The traffic. I try not to leave my house between 7 - 10 am and 3:30 - 7 pm. It's crazy! Rush "hour" last for 3 -4 hours every day, twice a day. No matter where you go it will take you an extra 10 to 20 minutes because of traffic, and thats if traffic is good! It stinks!

My dream place to live in Haines Alaska! I simply love that town and everything it has to offer. I hope you find your dream town also.

Ashley
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

We're neighbors! (Sort of, I'm the closest state to respond so far )

Denver, CO - So city, and although I love it I would also like living in the foothills in the country. As much as I love the Rockies, I don't think I would live in them because of all the SNOW!

2- do you have a home or apartment? 3- what do you pay for living expenses?

We rent a house right now.

It is a 2 bedroom 1 bath house for $950 a month.

Water/sewer/trash/recycling is about $20/month. Gas & electric is anywhere from $70 (in the summer- we don't have AC) to $185 a month (during the winter, but this house isn't very energy efficient).

Gas prices are usually a little cheaper than most places in the country- Right now the cheapest is about $2.98/ gal. Food prices are a bit higher than most places.

I love nearly everything about Colorado. It is beautiful- in my opinion, the most beautiful state in the country. There is SO much to do. I live in the city, but within an hour (less than that actually) I can be hiking on my favorite trail in the mountains, looking at the peaks on the Continental Divide.

I have a view of the Rockies every single day, and they look a little different everyday. It's so nice in the summertime when it's too hot in Denver, to escape to Mt. Evans or a mountain town and get to bask in temps 20 degrees cooler.

The climate is also fairly mild in Denver. Our average yearly temperature is 50 degrees. We do get a lot of snow, but it melts right away usually because winters are pretty warm (average day time high in winter is in the 40's). We also get over 300 days of sunshine every year!! It's rare to have two cloudy days in a row.

Besides everything outdoors like hiking, skiing, biking, etc. there's also a lot to do in Denver itself. We have a good library system and lots of places to shop and eat. There's also a lot of activities like the zoo, museums, etc.

People are also really friendly overall here. And it's a really diverse place too, which is nice.

There's honestly nothing I hate about it. If I could change one thing, I would make it more liberal politically but that's just because of my own opinion. Overall, Colorado is moderately conservative I think, but the city is a bit more liberal.

OK, I read the title and told you something special about my area. Now I see I didn't really help you so I am posting again.

RI is the smallest state. I live in the city, but we have loads of country areas in the state as well. Nothing is more than 20 minutes away. The joke is, "if you drove more than 20 minutes, you had to get lost and go in circles, because the state just isn't that BIG!"

Bought my home in 2002!

There is a glut of empty apartments just now so the rents are coming down. You can get a 2 bedroom in a nice complex for about $1000 per month.

Centrally located for mountains, ocean, farming, whatever you love doing. Also, we have superb health facilities which are just a 15 minute drive into Providence (this was important as my Dad lives with me.) If we had moved into his house (which he wanted to do) we would have been driving into Boston for his medical services, a 45 minute drive one way if there is no traffic. Our city has has high percentage of senior citizens so there are lots of programs, services and support here for seniors; another reason we bought HERE and not elsewhere.

Our state politics have got to be the joke of the country.

1- do you live in the city? or the country? Country, but not too far from town. It's a not a really big town though. We're about 45-60 minutes from Orlando (depending on traffic and where in Orlando we're headed).

2- do you have a home or apartment? House

3- what do you pay for living expenses? Our mortgage is around $2600 each month. Honestly I'm not sure about the rest, Justin pays all the bills.

4- what you do LOVE about your state? I love being close to the parks. It's very touristy here so there is a lot of fun things in the area. I appreciate it much more now with Nathan. Though I haven't gotten to do too much with him yet, it will be wonderful when he's a bit older.

5- what do you HATE about your state? The weather! I hate the extremely hot and humid summers. I hate the lack of winter, spring, and fall. Sure the weather cools down a little in the winter, but it's just not the same as having real seasons. I also hate the traffic that comes with living in such a touristy location.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

There isn't much I like at all about my state, but I'm stuck here so I just grit my teeth and try (not always sucessfully) not to gripe too much about it.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

I guess you'd say in the country since we are out of the city limits and
    have a field in front of us and a field behind us. But we're only 5-10
    minutes from town.

Home.

Home-$600/mo including taxes and insurance
    (3/4 acre lot-1000 sq ft home)
    Electric-year round average $120
    Gas Prices-$3.15/gl

Close to a lot of attractions (within a few hours drive)
    Lots of change in weather. If you don't like it, just wait a few hours
    and it will change

Our animals laws. They're a joke
    In the top 10 states of unemployment.

[/QUOTE]

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom

Our state politics have got to be the joke of the country.
    Now, now - New Jersey is another one with slightly off kilter state politics. I love telling people I was born and raised in Rhode Island. It's the smallest state with the longest name - Rhode Island and Providence Plantations.

I think Buddy Cianci is a hoot - have read his book and am waiting for my brother to send me the documentary film of his life.

There is nothing like eating Little Necks right off the boat. The smell of the salt water - I miss it like crazy.

I love telling people I learned ticket splitting in kindergarten - how many states are so very Democratic, and yet choose a Republican governor most of the time?

I think the state flag is beautiful, and the state motto is inspiring.

There are many times I wish I had never left.

1- do you live in the city? or the country? town of about 4,000 people
    2- do you have a home or apartment? very cute apartment
    3- what do you pay for living expenses? $525 (heat & hot water included). Now this is VERY unusual for NH. If you live South of Concord, expect to pay $850 to $1,500 for a one or two bedroom apartment. When I tell people what I pay they can't believe it.
    4- what you do LOVE about your state? The fact I can drive 30 minutes and be at the beach, 45 minutes and be up at the big lake, 1 hour and be in the mountains and 1 hour and be in Boston.
    5- what do you HATE about your state? Outsiders...just kidding. Well not really. We get a lot of tourists and tons of traffic. Remember, we're a pretty small state. Just 2 weeks ago Mass had school vacation and I was on Rt. 93 North. I decided to count all the cars that were passing me....Mass...Mass....Mass....Mass....New York....Mass...Michigan....Mass.....Mass. Not one NH car passed me. But at the same time our economy grows with all of the tourists so I can't complain too much. Some towns don't like outsiders moving here. We had an incident last year in the town next to me. A sub-division was going up and somebody vandalized the place and wrote "yuppies go home". You know our state moto is...welcome to NH...now please leave. If I haven't scared you off, this would be a good time to move to NH and buy a house. Our housing market boomed big time for the past 8 years and now it's fallen like a brick. You can get a pretty decent home here for $225,000/$300,000. And so far, there are still jobs here.

Good luck! I've never been to Utah but I hear it's spectacular!
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!