Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog sled races: Iditarod, Yukon Quest, etc.

Dog sled races: Iditarod, Yukon Quest, etc.

Is anyone besides myself interested in learning more about dog sled racing? Are there any real live "mushers" on DOTD. Here's your chance to inform, ask questions, share opinions, whatever. Add a post here or email me at [email protected] I'll be waiting along with Molly G. who dreams of pulling a sled full of life saving serum over the trail from Anchorage to Nome. Woof, woof - watch me go fast.

I have never dogsledded before, however, I had plans on skijoring with my aussie mix but never got the full equipment. I read up on it and spoke with some local mushers for tips and advise. I decided not to purchase all of the equipment (harnesses, skiis etc.) I did begin teaching my aussie, while he was in harness, the commands for turn left, right, go forward, slow down, stop and he just is not large enough (47#), energetic enough, nor does he have a huge drive to pull. He is too much of a mellow guy. He also may be too old to take on such a job being that he's close to 8. I decided to just focus on agility with him, even though he's not the fastest or most energetic to win against the super speedy breeds, he enjoys the excersise, learning, and focus that agility provides. I am very interested in dog sledding and skijoring and perhaps when I get my GSD I will try out skiorjing in the wintertime.
    http://www.ptialaska.net/~skijor/index.html

http://detnews.com/menu/stories/34904.htm

OH DEAR I did not know when I posted my Iditarod topic late last night that the first email I would receive this a.m. would be from someone needing a Good home for an old sled dog. Oh dear, if anyone is interested in adopting her contact me at
    [email protected] & I will forward you the information on her. Thanks all, Bea

This is for "Adoremydogs"
    My wife and I enrolled Molly, our lovable but dumb cocker spaniel, in a ten-week obedience class. At the end of the term Molly had made little progress. We re-enrolled her, but at the end of the second course Molly was still noticeably behind her canine classmates. The instructor, perhaps determined to succeed with our dog, offered to let her repeat the course for the third time at no charge.
    That evening I heard my wife on the phone with her mother. "Guess what?" Marcie said, "Molly was the only dog in her class to get a scholarship!"
    -At.Lucci (Pittsburgh,Pa.)

Oh my gosh is that FUNNY Well they have to have something to be proud of, right So, so cute

Went to a BMD (Bernese Mountain Dog) Best of Show last weekend. It was great! 400 dogs in the Double Tree Hotel and better behaved than people! Wish I had a scanner to share my pictures with all of you. BMD's love to pull carts, sleds and people on skis
    (skijoring). They are gentle, affectionate, a little stubborn, giants. Iditarodfan-Bea

I think sled dog racing is AWESOME! My mom went back to school and she did a report on dog sled racing, and I go on www.ididorod.com to see where they are in the race. My friend Jessica is here and she says that she likes sled dog racing too.

I met a sled dog racer that was in the Ididorad. He wasn't in the Ididorod this year though. My mom has a book that she gave to me and it has a lot of musher's addresses and names and stuff like that in it. The musher that I met was Vern Halter. His mushing dog layed right by me when we watched the movie about the Ididorod. I got a picture with him by his sled.

I've been teaching my DOTD Pharlap (See June 13th!!) mushing commands (Gee, Haw, Mush, On-by, etc) and he's been having a lot of fun with it.... I don't intend to hook him up to a cart until we have more predictable results out of him, though.

------------------
    -Erin

ERIN, THANKS FOR POSTING! I MISSED THE DAY PHARLAP WAS DOTD. I CAN GET THE FORUM DISCUSSION ON HIM, BUT NOT THE PICTURE. EVERYONE IS RAVING ABOUT HIM. CAN YOU HELP ME OUT OR KAREN THE MODERATOR, ANYONE? BY THE WAY, ERIN, I HAVE BEEN TOLD BY WWW.IDATAROD.COM THAT MUSHERS DO NOT SAY MUSH. YOUR OTHER COMMANDS ARE RIGHT! GOOD LUCK, ERIN & PHARLAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To find any "previous Dog of the Day," go to http://DogoftheDay.com/ then hit the "Previous Dogs" button on the left (second from the top). But here's Pharlap's direct link!
    http://DogoftheDay.com/archive/2001/June/13.html

KAREN, U WIN DOTD "MODERATOR OF THE DAY" AWARD! THANKS FOR HELPING ME OUT. HERE IS MY WISH FOR U TODAY. "MAY THE WIND BE AT YOUR BACK, MAY YOUR PARTNER AND DOGS BE STEADFAST AND TRUE, AND MY YOU FIND "THAT PERFECT TRAIL" YOU CAN TRAVEL FOREVER."
    SHALOM

Thanks!

My friend has a harness and a sled for her German Shepherd. He can't pull to much weight, but boy is it lots of fun. The only problem is the snow has to be just right, otherwise it's not as fun.

------------------
    -Rottie

Rottie, I love your Rottweiler Rescue Poem. Is it posted on any of the DOTD forums? How about posting it under my quote forum for others to see? Everytime I see Carl he gets handsomer and handsomer! Glad to hear you're having fun with the GSD and sled. Yes, it's probably better with snow, try some wheels.
    lol