Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felix attacked Erin! UPDATE: Post #8 PIC ADDED: Post #9

Felix attacked Erin! UPDATE: Post #8 PIC ADDED: Post #9

Tonight I put my male and female back in their divided 20g tank. I always keep an eye on my fishies after a water change to make sure everything is okay. I came back a few hours later and Erin was gone.

I looked into Felix's side, and she was laying on the bottom not moving. At first I thought he'd killed her, but I saw her breathing. I have NO idea how she got over there. There are no gaps between the divider or the tank, no holes in the divider... there is a TINYYY bit of space between the lid and the top of the divider... she may have gotten through there, but I have no idea what would have made her do it.

ANYWAY.

It appears he tore her beautiful tail fin. It used to be perfectly round, and now it's all ripped. What can I do to fix this? Or is it something that will just heal in time?

My poor baby girl... she's hiding under her shell now and won't come out.
    Last edited by BC_MoM; 03-07-2008 at 02:33 AM.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

I hate those dividers. A while back I had divided my ten gallon tank between 2 male bettas. Like you said there was a small crack, but he jumped over it and they fought. Luckily I was still in my room when this happened.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Are those fish Betta's??

Betta's are known to jump over dividers because they really want you-know-what Their love-making is very hard and rough and the female gets out bruised en torn but well, she wants it Most of the time, with more females the male gets torn as well btw...
    "Thousands of years ago, cats were worshipped as gods. Cats have never forgotten this"

Yes, they are Betta's.

But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

aw - poor Erin, hope she recovers soon.

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

I'm sorry they ended up together. Erin's fin should grow back, maybe not quickly or completely. Some people use Melafix to help them heal. It's suppose to promote regrowth of tissues and fins.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I've actually heard that Melafix is very harmful to Betta's, as the oils in it clog their gills.

I just went to feed the Bettas and I was looking down at my female from the top and noticed her body is bent now. When she isn't moving, she kind of twitches...

Here is a photo of her from the top. Do you think she is in much pain?
    My sweet, beautiful girl seems to now be handicapped. I am so upset.

Here is a video of her trying to follow my finger down to the bottom of the tank. It appears she no has difficult swimming downward.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlUa1irBF6A

For the shredded fins add some aquarium salt it will keep infection from getting to them. They will grow back.

It would seem that she has sustained an injury hurting her swim bladder. Their swim bladder keeps them balanced in water. But she might just be constipated. Is she pooing normally? If not starve her for a day and then the next day give her a little bit fo the inside of a pea. This is what usually causes swim bladder disorder(SBD). But like I said earlier it may be an injury from jumping or from being with the other betta. If this is the case then there is no way to really fix it. It is painful just annoying for them. BUT you can make it easier for her. Look here: http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/155/ C= I am sure she will be okay. *goodvibes*

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

Thank you VERY much for the link! I am going to set up a tank for her now.

I'm glad Christmas_Hamster gave you that information... it is pretty much what I was going to say and it saved me all that typing.
    Good luck with little miss Erin and good vibes headed her way. Its amazing how much willpower these little fish can have.

lol Chilli.

I had to setup a tank like that for my Bliss as he had SBD aswell. I hope Erin is alright!

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

Strange... I didn't feed her for just one day and she honestly looks better. Still isn't swimming down as much (haven't set up the SBD tank yet) but isn't staying at the surface anymore. I don't know if it's just me, but it looks like she's straightened out a bit, too!

I hope she continues to improve!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June