Thread: My latest fosters...need advice

My latest fosters...need advice

I've got two 11 month old brothers. They are quite scared. They've warmed up to me nicely, but one is very willing and one is very standoffish.
    the foster room door has been open for 4 days and they won't come out on their own. The bolder one has ventured downstairs, but with my coaxing. The other has only made it to the stairway. They have seen my cats and it doesn't seem to be the issue. The territory seems to be the issue. I've tried luring with wand toys and laser, no use.

They are listed as being a pair, to be adopted together. Dolchedo, the bold, could have been adopted several times over now, but the inquirers didn't want both.

They show some signs of bonding, but not totally. They don't sleep together, they do groom eachother on occasion. They don't mind eating from the same dish.
    It may be that Remo, the timid is not bonded to but dependent on Dolchedo.
    He could just need any cat to depend on.

They seem not to be progressing, rather retreating since I opened the door. They are closed in at night, so they can relax.

What should I do to get them to come out?

And, should I let them be split and Dolchedo have a home sooner?

Thanks PT

I really should not answer this. I have failed fostering each time I have tried. And the last 2 I had seemed to be a bonded pair, we wanted them to go together. Well, they did, they stayed right here!

I would still say to try and get them a home together.

The shy one can take quite a time to come around; I am talking a year or more. That has been my experience with the shy ferals I have kept to socialize. (Keep in mind I adopted all of them.) I don't really DO anything, just let them come around in their own time.

Did I mention I have kept all my fosters?

Thanks Freedom!

I'm glad all your fosters got so lucky as to weasel their way into your home.
    I've only kept 2 of about 40.

These guys are going to be terrific for the right people.

They compete for my pettings.

I've just never had any progress at different rates.

They will stand as a pair, for the time being.

I, too, am not the best person in the world to comment seeing that I've kept so many of my "fosters". But this reminds me of Starr and Fraidy, two of the last rescues of mine that went to a home of a man who already had 4 cats. He would call or email and say "No matter what I do, I can't get them to come out from under the bed. I think I may have made a mistake in taking them. They're clearly unhappy." I kept reassuring him that all would be ok but, honestly, I was beginning to wonder myself. Then, one day, out of the blue, I guess they decided that it was no longer fun under that bed and that they wanted to see what the rest of the gang was doing, so they timidly came out and now they live a life of luxury and pampering just like all the other cats do. I'd try not to get too concerned about it and, if possible, give it a little more time and, by all means, do try to keep them together. I think that may have been the key to success w/my friend; they relied on each other. Let us know how it turns out.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Rose, I had two Siamese brothers Ying and Yang(Ying is now in heaven and boy did Yang grieve for him). They were Siamese twins through and through, always together sleeping etc they even both became diabetic at the same time and at first their blood glucose readings would be nearly the same but even though they were so much alike they were also different. Yang was more the territorial/ assertive one and Ying the shyer one who was the follower. Ying was the one always one my lap needing my attention all the time where Yang wanted attention to but wasn't so needy. I don't really know what my point was except I would not separate them. they might need each other more than you realize and they might jsut move at different paces.
    Melissa

Your two boys

Rose.
    My wife & I are going thru the process with Siamese Rescue to try to get Dolchedo & San Remo. Are they still available.?

Was reading Pet Forum after going thru the Rescue pages and saw your post.

Well, the brothers are completely integrated and comfortable.
    They lay next to me, and love being petted. Remo seems to have caught up with Dolchedo but both 'run for cover' when I move around the house too fast, or if some one comes by. They are quick to forgive, and back at their usual activities. They are the most gentle cats I've ever had, never a tooth or a nail.
    They are night prowlers, the first ones I've ever had. Numerous times I hear crashing in the night! Only minor incidents, except for one night they crashed a huge glass vase down the staircase. Gosh, my husband and I really enjoyed that clean up at 4:30am. The brothers motto seems to be: to go where no cat has gone before.

All is good.

Waiting for the right adopter to come along.