Thread: building our own cage?

building our own cage?

Guinea pig experts, I need you!

My dad and I have decided that the piggies need a bigger cage. I'm not sure yet where I'll put it, but I'm thinking on a table in my room (or on the floor..who knows??) I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about guinea pigs. Well, I know how to take care of them and feed them, but when it comes to what they need cage-wise, I'm a total newbie.

Since we're building it we're free to put pretty much whatever we want into it :] I'm really excited about that..but I don't know what to put in it.

Their cage now seems a little tiny (probably okay for them but whatever) so I definitely want it to be bigger, so I know it will be bigger..but how big is roomy enough for two guinea pigs? Is it okay if the cage is long and kinda skinny? Or should it be more square?

My dad's pretty good with making things (we built me a saddle rack earlier this year) but we need plans.

Should piggies have multiple layers in their cage? How would I build a ramp thing up to it then? Would the ramp need to be a gradual incline? My guinea pigs don't seem that agile so thats why I'm wondering.

Would a chicken wire type thing be good for the top and sides? I think I remember reading somewhere not to use glass...but i don't remember why.

As I think of more questions I'll post them, so be ready

Thanks so much!!
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

I'm, by no means, a guinea pig expert, but I have a tad bit of experience.

I have always heard that C&C cages are wonderful for piggies. I helped the new owners of my former two piggies(re-homed for their happiness) build one, and I have never seen happier pigs! Overall, its very inexpensive.

If anything, you can read through the link above to get an idea for a cage.

Hope I was of some help.
    Good luck!

I've heard they're good too. But I have a few reasons why I want to avoid them. I don't like the way they look too much, they don't seem real sturdy, and it was on that forum that I was called rude and ridiculous because I didn't adopt my piggies.

I like the site for the info though

The C and C cages are sturdy.
    They have cages like that for rabbits and alot of people at first think they aren't sturdy but they are. Have you ever actually heard of the collapsing? Or collapsing and killing?
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by Chilli
    I'm, by no means, a guinea pig expert, but I have a tad bit of experience.

I have always heard that C&C cages are wonderful for piggies.
    Do check that link - it has a very clear chart for how much space is good for how many piggies!
    I've Been Frosted

oh I've checked it all right. Checked it, joined the forum, and was promptly banned for not adopting my piggies.

I know they are sturdy, but they just don't look sturdy, lol. Plus..idk why but I don't like how the grid thingies look. on the side..do you know what I'm talking about? haha

here's my VERY rough draft (from paint lol) of what I think the cage might look like. hahaha

Any big problems? If there are, they might be from my lack of drawing skills, but probably a problem in the plan itself so feel free to tell me!

I think it looks GREAT, except a suggestion of maybe adding another door or two along the top, because unless you're Stretch Armstrong it looks like you'd have some trouble grabbing the piggies if they're on the other end of the cage!

facebook

lol good point XD

I'll probably add another door along the other side...maybe at the end? haha idk.

Maybe make the whole top a seperate piece so you can have easy access to the whole cage. Sorry about the people you have to deal with. I got banned from a mouse forum once for arguing that you can keep most male American fancy mice together, which is true. I am on the way to being banned on a fish forum for telling somebody their tanks are horribly overstocked, which I'm told was rude. PT is probably the most level-headed forum I've found.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Hmm that's a really good idea, Irescue452! I'll have to talk to my dad about doing that.

I hate when people get mad at you for disagreeing with them. Oh well, their loss.

I have no sugestions as I have no knowledge on the subject.

Just want to comment on your drawing - I'ts really good!
    good luck and have fun making it with your dad!

thanks k9krazee for the signature!

haha thanks vinjashira :]