Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Public storage?

Public storage?

I'm not sure if I should put this in general or here- so I'll put it here.

Has anyone on PT ever rented a public storage unit? My mom and dad are down-sizing and no longer want to store some of my belongings at their house. I have no room in my apartment for them. Are public storage units safe? Or - is this a big money-waster and a reason for me to hold onto things I should really get rid of?

Thanks,
    Elyse
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Like everything else in life, there are good places and bad places. The good places can be very expensive.

If they are sure they won't need the stuff again. And they don't have pieces that they want to hand down to the family, why keep it?

Have a garage sale. Sell quality stuff at consignment or antique shops. Set it free to let someone else love and appreciate it!
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

We rent a small storage unit. It's owned by a couple who live in the area. While it's not high end, it's convienent because it's right next door to our apartment complex.

We store holiday decorations, empty boxes, clothes, and other items that are not considered "priceless".

We've been happy with it overall, though we did have mice get in, so I moved my clothes from boxes to rubbermaid totes.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Yes, it may be time to clean out and maybe Freecycle. But if it is large items that you want to someday have a place big enough to hold, what is your timetable on maybe moving? Is there another relative that might be able to hold them for you short-term if you plan on moving soon?
    I've Been Frosted

I have one that is down the road from where I live. While they are convient I wouldn't store anything in there that you would consider valuable because even the securiest ones get broke into. I have to downsize mine this summer so I can move my stuff into a smaller unit. (I'm thinking the only things I'm keeping is my crafts, china, heirloom table and porclein dolls)

A positive attitude may not solve allyour problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.-Herm Albright

I rented a small storage unit in a little town a hour away from Fresno when I lived there. It wasn't the most secure, but I never had anything happen to my stuff. I had my bed and other miscellaneous items in it, nothing of too high value. I had my own lock on the unit and then there was a lock on the gate to get into the area which I also had a key to. Now that I think back, I am actually very surprised that nothing ever happened. Because it wasn't the best location or well patrolled at all. I guess I was just lucky.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I had my stuff in Louisiana in storage for about 6 years when I moved to Florida. When I moved back to La. I ended up getting rid of just about everything I had in storage so I paid all that rent for all those years on trash!

My advice is if it is not really something you need, have to have, time dated, outgrow, ect... Donate to Goodwill or someplace and save your monty. Like a friend explained to me, all that money I spent on storage could have bought NEW stuff with that money by the time I needed it!

(Also could have built a really nice BIG shed!)

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

If you're a packrat (like me) then storage units are just the 'emotional' holding ground for stuff you should get rid of but just can't emotionally let go of yet for whatever reason (sentimental, still could be of use 'someday', etc).

Storage units aren't cheap when you figure the cost per year overall, particularly if you're just storing for emotional/sentimental reasons. Clutter costs in time AND money. Trust me after having been a packrat for years (still struggling) and having the largest storage unit the place had for 3 years filled top to bottom, front to back, I can tell you it's not economical, or convienent to be a packrat.

If this is the case for you then I STRONGLY recommend getting any of these books from your second hand bookstore or library and read them:

Books by Don Aslett

Lose 200lbs This Weekend

For Packrats Only (also released under the newer title 'NOT just for packrats only)

Clutter's Last Stand

Those 3 books helped me to downsize my sentimental but HUGE collection of stuffed animals that I've been storing for years along with a ton of other stuff I should never have been storing as long as I did.

If in fact you are not a packrat and will very soon in the future have a need for your items (soon to be moving will need furniture but don't have room for it now kinda thing) then a storage unit would be just your solution. Always check to see what their security policies are. Some are just open areas with locked garages, some have security codes/keys just to get in the gates as well as a lock AND coded keypad to get into your shed, and have security cameras as well.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Catlady711
    If you're a packrat (like me) then storage units are just the 'emotional' holding ground for stuff you should get rid of but just can't emotionally let go of yet for whatever reason (sentimental, still could be of use 'someday', etc).
    Oh, Catlady, ya got me. I'm a Packrat with a capital P! I'm not even absolutely sure of what is in those boxes, because I didn't pack them, my dad did. Madame Alexander dolls and stuffed animals and who knows what else. Over the weekend I decided that the way to handle this is to get rid of other stuff I know I no longer need, and then bring the boxes in, sort them, properly store the collectibles and let the rest go. That means a shelving unit purchase in the future, but I'm not doing that till after I know what's going on those shelves. Ikea has a nice, narrow one I've had my eye on, so I need to reduce the volume of stuff until just what will fit is left.

I have two problem areas ... the stuff that could be of use 'someday' and the things that bring to mind happy memories when I look at them. The challenge is that someday never comes, and the happy memories are there whether I look at those things or not. I would not wish Packrat tendencies on anyone.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Cassiesmom,

When I left Michigan, I left EVERYTHING behind. All my furniture, including my Dad's bedroom set which I cherished. Why?? I wanted outta Dodge like nobody's business and took only what I would need that would fit in my car in large black trash bags. It was a very difficult decision, as I had no time to have a tag sale. But, it's just STUFF and can be replaced eventually. I put up signs of stuff for sale and managed to sell my tv and DVD player. I packed away what was most important to me, i.e., mementos, family photographs, etc. and put it in my SIL's garage. She was SUPPOSED to ship most of the stuff (most of it in boxes) last Spring but never did. I'm sure she'll get around to it eventually, cuz there ain't no WAY I'm going back to Michigan ever again. I also took all my kitchen appliances (pots, pans, dishes, etc. no fridge or stove)

Think of it this way...if you haven't had any need for it, and haven't used it in say 5 years, tag sale it, toss it or give it to someone who can use it. Simple as that.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Think of it this way...if you haven't had any need for it, and haven't used it in say 5 years, tag sale it, toss it or give it to someone who can use it. Simple as that.
    I'd agree with that!

Dad put something in storage when he moved in with me. (No, it is neither valuable nor sentimental.) Let me just say that in 7 years, he has NEVER needed it, has spent more than THREE TIMES it's value in rent, and has no reason what so ever for continually paying for it. and rent at 3 times i's value, that is to buy it new! As of now, it is more than 7years old; who wants it?! - is my question. Just one more argument I lose on a regular basis.

After the '93 flood my family had to seek temporary shelter in an apartment complex where obviously all of our personal belongings were not going to fit. My parents rented out a storage unit until we moved into our house. They have some climate control ones that are very nice. I was too young to remember a price (even then, it was so long ago prices are bound to have changed from inflation) but I do remember it was relatively safe and nothin did happen to them. Though I'm sure it's about location. Just make sure to choose a facility that has a good reputation and perhaps choose an indoor unit

facebook

Freedom,

What exactly IS it that Dad can't part with???

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom
    I have two problem areas ... the stuff that could be of use 'someday' and the things that bring to mind happy memories when I look at them. The challenge is that someday never comes, and the happy memories are there whether I look at those things or not. I would not wish Packrat tendencies on anyone.

Just a couple suggestions that has worked for this sentimental packrat...

1) things that may have a 'someday' usefulness either list on ebay, craigs list, have a garage sale, or better yet put on www.freecycle.org for the group in your area. That way someone would get some use out of the items rather than them collecting dust and taking up space not being used.

2) This will sound dumb at first, and I got the suggestion from one of those books I recommended (although honestly I think it was more of a joke in the book but it works for me). For the sentimental items that make me happy but I have no actual use for anymore I simply take pix of them then I can get rid of them. Sounds strange but I can pull up the pix anytime I want to look at the item or show it to someone, or think about the memories associated with it, but I don't have to store the item in a box that I can't find without digging for an hour and making a mess of my closets! LOL

Decluttering from packrat tendencies is emotionally difficult but so worth the effort and time once you realize it IS possible to actually have an empty shelf or cubbyhole in your house so when you bring home more packrat stuff you have a place to put it! ROFL I'm not as bad of a packrat as I used to be, it's a constant struggle, but I'm definately improving with time.

Good luck.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom
    Freedom,

What exactly IS it that Dad can't part with???
    He he heee. I figured SOMEONE would ask!

He had a garden tractor, with ALL the attachments: it mows the lawn, has an aerator and a dethatcher, a spreader for seed and fertilizer, the tiller and grader, the cart to carry stuff, weights to keep it down so it got the soil about 6 to 8 inches deep, and all the winter add ons too: the 'cabin' to keep him warm, snow plow, snow thrower, lordy I can't even NAME half the stuff! And of course the big ole trailer to tow it all around hither and yon. He only used it 2 years!
    It's his 'toy,' and he INSISTS he is going to ride it again.

He wanted to bring it all down here to my house. First, I'd need a whole new shed, MY shed is much too small. Second, my YARD is a postage stamp, I live in the city; it isn't like the place he and mom had! Heck, with the little bit of snow we got THIS year, I never even used my little bitty snow blower, I just used the shovel!

Boys and their toys . . . . .
    Last edited by Freedom; 03-11-2008 at 08:43 AM.