Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Baseball '08!

I'm rooting for Cleveland Indians, sorry.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Quote Originally Posted by david p
    Right now it's 8-8 in the top of the 12th inning in the Pirates home opener against the Cubs. I SO want Pittsburgh to win this game!
    sorry... I mean, I'm glad for the Cubs, but I always want to see the home team win their home opener.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Opening Day at Fenway Pahk

That Ring Ceremony was fantastic!! Love that the Celtics, Pats and Bruins were part of it - just like in 2005. My favorites - Bill Russell and #4, Bobby Orr.

And Buckner throwing out the first pitch

Well of course when I go to the game the Yanks lost. They won the next day and lost today. This might not be the best season for them.

What was on Peavy's hands?

CHEATER, CHEATER!!!!!

--------

CM,
    365 days a year to be a CUBS fan? What happens on Feb 29?

-------

I haven't checked the standings yet......With batting averages hovering at .600, it just don't make sense!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Hey, what was with the airshow over Fenway on opening day?

THAT was cool, too bad the pilot got grounded.

"Maverick, The pattern is full!"

----------

Great story about the Yanks new stadium. Apparently a construction worker
    buried a Bosox shirt under a concrete pillar near the home dressing room, along with a curse.

-faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    Hey, what was with the airshow over Fenway on opening day?

THAT was cool, too bad the pilot got grounded.

"Maverick, The pattern is full!"

----------

Great story about the Yanks new stadium. Apparently a construction worker
    buried a Bosox shirt under a concrete pillar near the home dressing room, along with a curse.

Apparently the pilot was late, so flew too fast. That maneuver is supposed to be done at 5000 feet, not 1200.

As for that shirt - why didn't they bury it under the Yankees club house instead of the visitors?

I wasn't clear-

The word is that the construction worker is a Bosox fan and the curse is on the Yankees never to win another series again.

------

1200 feet?

I wish I could have been there.

So much for the curse . . . . .

The New York Yankees have ended a construction worker's attempt to jinx their new stadium with a buried Boston Red Sox jersey.

Team officials watched Sunday as construction workers removed the jersey, with slugger David Ortiz's name on it, from 2 feet of concrete in a service corridor of the stadium that's under construction.

The team says a construction worker — who is a Red Sox fan — recently buried the jersey there while on the job. Two other supervisors found the tattered shirt Saturday.

The Yankees plan to donate the jersey to charity, and may pursue a lawsuit against the construction worker.

That just goes to show the name STEINBRENNER isn't attached to any normal human.

What was the cost of removing a piece of cloth from under 2 feet of concrete?

----------------

They could find David Ortiz under the new Yankee Stadium....

Now go find Jimmy Hoffa!

-----------

That was a fun story wrecked by a superstitious jerk with no sense of humor.

50K to dig out the jersey -

That's what they get for using union people.

THey could have gone to the Home Depot and picked up some day laborers that would have charged the Yanks 10 bucks an hour.....

With a few hot dogs and sodas tossed in.

----------------------

NO penalties for steriod usage...but we are going to see about suing this guy for burying a fricking shirt on the property?

50,000 dollars for tearing a hole in your new stadium.
    Having paraniod thoughts about curses, black magic and jinxes?
    Priceless.

---------------------

Someone made the comment about the Ortiz jersey not even being needed.
    The club hasn't won a World Series in how long?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD
    That just goes to show the name STEINBRENNER isn't attached to any normal human.

What was the cost of removing a piece of cloth from under 2 feet of concrete?

----------------

They could find David Ortiz under the new Yankee Stadium....

Now go find Jimmy Hoffa!

-----------

That was a fun story wrecked by a superstitious jerk with no sense of humor.
    The Yankees would have been better served to leave the shirt where it was planted. Ortiz had 2 hits last night; previously he had only 3 in 40+ times at bat.

Is it possible - the Yankees have a heart?

From the Boston Globe -

It was meant to be a curse on the New York Yankees, but it may turn out to be a blessing for people with cancer.

The Red Sox jersey that caused a big splash in the media when a construction worker revealed he had placed it in the concrete under the new Yankee Stadium will be unveiled tomorrow for the first time in Boston at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

The Yankees donated the tattered David Ortiz jersey to the Jimmy Fund, which raises funds for cancer care and research at Dana-Farber. The fund plans to auction off the jersey, which was jackhammered out of the concrete Sunday by the Yankees, said Bill Schaller, a Dana-Farber spokesman.

It's not the first time Yankees owner George Steinbrenner and his family have donated to the fund.

"As much as they’re the evil empire (for Boston sports fans), they’ve been quite generous to the Jimmy Fund," said Schaller.

One heart for all the people in the organization?

Hmmm....

---------------

Actually,

If the Pope was going to do a mass at Yankee Staduim they should have hustled him over to bless the new stadium, that would have taken care of the curse and they would have saved 50k....

Just a thought.!
    -faith hill

Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

From the Boston Globe -

It's not much of a shirt, it's true. It's torn. It's dirty. Being buried in the concrete under a stadium construction project and then being drilled out by jackhammers will do that to you.

But the David Ortiz jersey that a construction worker buried under the site of the new Yankee Stadium is a quirky piece of baseball history -- and it sold this afternoon for $175,100 on eBay.

The bid from Kevin Meehan, the owner of Imperialcars.com in Mendon, was the highest of 282 for the battered No. 34 David Ortiz jersey.

"I actually thought it was going to sell for more money," said Meehan, who bid only in the final moments of the weeklong eBay auction that ended at 12:30 p.m. "I have three young boys that I take to the games and they would have killed me if I didn't buy the shirt."

The Yankees, despite being the targets of the would-be curse, donated the jersey to the Red Sox' official charity, the Jimmy Fund, which auctioned it off to raise funds for cancer care and research at the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

Mike Andrews, The Jimmy Fund chairman and former Red Sox second baseman, said the charity was "absolutely thrilled."

"We are grateful for the generous bid, and extend our deep gratitude to the New York Yankees and the Boston Red Sox for coming together again in the fight against cancer," he said in a statement.

Meehan said he was eager to give to the Jimmy Fund because his father died of cancer and his stepfather has the disease.

"It's personal," he said. "It's a lot deeper than just the shirt."

Meehan plans to eventually display the jersey from his favorite Red Sox player in one of his car dealerships. He said he has no intention of selling it.

"It was just a win-win all the way around," said Meehan, who also will receive a new Ortiz jersey, a Yankees T-shirt and two tickets to a Red Sox game where he will be presented with the unusual piece of sports memorabilia.

Construction worker Gino Castignoli, a Red Sox fan from the Bronx, dropped the jersey into two feet of wet concrete during construction of the new stadium, hoping to hex the Yankees. The team found the jersey after receiving information from anonymous tipsters and had it jackhammered out.