Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Baseball '08!

Baseball '08!

Well, it's time to get out and smell the horsehide!

Can we forget all the BS from the off season and start fresh?
    The only thing that will save the season is a Cubs WS win...

Play ball!

What's going on?

The Dodgers are in China.
    The LAD's split squad was coached my Tommy Lasorda.
    Billy Crystal played for the Yankees
    The games to look for this year are the Tampas against the New Yorks!

This should be an interesting season.....
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Major League Baseball at three a.m.! I love it.

Go Sox and Cubs.

I live in the Cleveland area but am a Yankees fan. Go Yankees.

Being a Cubs fan

I'm a Chicago Cubs fan because I know:
    *Bartman has nothing to do with the Simpsons
    *When the ivy on the outfield wall was first planted (1937)
    *The Curse of the Billy Goat
    *What to do with an opponent's home run ball in the bleachers (Throw it back!)
    *The outcome of the first night game played at Wrigley Field (It was rained out.)
    *What the Eamus Catuli sign means (Latin, roughly: Go Cubs)
    *The four Retired Cubs Players Numbers: 10 (Santo), 14 (Banks), 23 (Sandberg) and 26 (Williams).
    *The meaning of Tinker to Evers to Chance (and Dunston to Sandberg to Grace).
    *A Frosty Malt (or a lemon ice) tastes really good at a summer game.
    *No one leads the seventh-inning stretch quite like Harry Caray did.
    *The average number of days per year that it is great to be a Cubs fan (365).
    *I bleed Cubby blue!
    And finally: I know the Cubs are going to WIN THE WORLD SERIES!

Edited to add... ten innings ... Brewers, 4; Cubs, 3. Hey, it can't get worse then the W flag not flying.

And I hope to go to a Brewers' game with my best friends this summer. They lived in Wisconsin for 3 years but never got to attend a game at the new arena. Their former neighbors went and said it is a really nice arena. I hope we'll go this summer.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 03-31-2008 at 08:10 PM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

GO OAKLAND! My hopes are high, as usual...and I have a feeling they will droop in the latter half of the season...as usual lol.
    Yes I am still a San Fran fan too, I dont give a fig about astriks or records...I just care about good baseball. My fondest memories of childhood involve a big ball park hot dog, garlic fries and sharing the joy of the game with my mom and dad. Of course it was always better when the home team won
    I've seen games in Candlestick park and Oakland colluseum. Fun times indeed.

Two words.

JJ HOTTTIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

*drools*

I'm going to the Brewer game on April 5th.
    *happy dance*

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.

Opening Day for the Tigers - they lost

I have 2 favorites - Tigers and Red Sox. Only time I have problems is when they play each other - like a week from tomorrow.

My favorite Tiger - Curtis Granderson

Yankee fan since birth. :] My first Yankee game is this Saturday. Yankees Vs. Tampa Bay Rays. GO YANKS!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Maltese_Love
    Yankee fan since birth. :] My first Yankee game is this Saturday. Yankees Vs. Tampa Bay Rays. GO YANKS!!!!!

Growing up, I rooted for the Yankees. That was blasphemy living in Rhode Island, but I did like a winner. Those were the days of Berra, Ford, Mantle - the list goes on.

In 1962, one of my childhood dreams came true, when I was at Yankee Stadium for Game 5 of the World Series. Yankees beat the Giants 5-2, thanks to a 3 run homer by Tommy Tresh.

Have a wonderful time on Saturday!

There is a wonderful bio/documentary on the Chicago Cubs that showed on HBO last year.....catch it if you can.

THE BILLY GOAT CURSE....I love that story!

----------

I really dislike the owner of the Dodgers.

Frank McCourt is a skeezy schemer. Late of the great state of Massachusetts he stand for all that is wrong with the game. He is the Al Davis of MLB.

Years ago the Dodgers, under the ownership of the O'malleys, had certain clubs that they would deal with exclusively. Cubs, Pirates are the two that come to mind......

I still never forgave the Dodgers for trading Ron Cey to Chi-town. They literally had hundreds of third basemen play until he showed up.

Anyway, heartbreak be damned!

Now it seems that McCourt, To be know from here on as McCourt-nald's - for his desire to turn the team into a Sports-Disneyland-Fast Food Empire..

He came into El Lay with out having the money to buy the team outright, he had to borrow money, then he began to steal ideas an players from his hometown club, the Bosox.

Coach, players and I think it's called the Jimmy Fund?

FM got the L.A. Coliseum to revamp the field to host a charity game against the Red Sox...115,000 people attended, some waited two hours to catch the shuttles to get to the game from Dodger Stadium....Oh, the new charity?

THINK CURE! a rip off of the "Think Blue" promotions of years past- the LADs would promote prizes, honorary positions at a game, Ball girl/boy, field keeper,
    first pitch tosser, National Anthem singer....

---------------

To sit field level the seats are now 250 dollars.
    Parking was 5 bucks a car, 7 for buses once upon a time....Now? 15 dollars at press time...
    A dodger dog-foot long wienie, grilled not boiled, like those limp wienies back east .....5.25.. peanuts are 5 bucks a bag, Beer? You want a beer?

TWELVE DOLLARS!

Thirty two dollars and change to park, eat a dog and beer-that's not including the price of a ticket.

A piece in the paper gave a list of the foods available in the suites that corporations buy. The food you order for the quests is sold by the platter and the prices were nine dollars and up, per person with a minimum of six servings for each dish.

For the 32.25 I can, Order a pizza, buy a twelve pack of beer, eat peanuts and get the cat a few bags of Temptation treats - and my seat is free as I watch most of the games on cable.

The stadium was renovated in the off season. That will jack up the prices, again!

-----------------
    I love the game but not enough to sell an arm to go!

Middle School Student Gets Attacked by Hawk at Fenway
    Posted Apr 3rd 2008 10:00PM by PostmanR
    Filed under: Boston, Red Sox, AL East

The Red Sox have yet to play a game inside Fenway Park this season -- that comes in their home opener against Detroit on Tuesday-- but that doesn't mean there's not already some action inside its pearly gates. Oh no, friends. You see, some middle schoolers were taking a nice little tour of the park when OHMYGOD LOOK OUT FOR THAT HAWK LITTLE GIRL!

A student touring Fenway Park was attacked by a resident red-tailed hawk that drew blood from a girl's scalp Thursday.

[ ... ]

The hawk was perched on a railing in the upper deck behind home plate while the group from Memorial Boulevard Middle School in Bristol, Conn., toured the stadium. The hawk flew at the girl and swooper with its talons extended, scratching her scalp.

Wildlife officials took out the nest along with an egg that was perched up near the press booth, so hopefully the threat of hawk attacks have been severely decreased inside Fenway. I suppose this hawk may have just been protecting its kin. Or maybe it was a serial killer hawk. Or a drunk hawk.

Or maybe it was just hawky being hawky.

Incredible, ominous update: Thanks to commenter pitchcount who altered us to the Boston Globe story on this. Turns out the young girl's name was Alexa Rodriguez. (!!!) Makes total sense now.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

A nail-biter at PNC Park!

Right now it's 8-8 in the top of the 12th inning in the Pirates home opener against the Cubs. I SO want Pittsburgh to win this game!

StL Cards, anyone?????

C'mon I know I'm not the only one. And so far... they are on FIIIREEEE

Watch out... they'll make it to the series again... hehe

facebook