Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Baseball '08!

Wheee! Ain't it fun being a Red Sox fan? Nothing like waiting until the last chance ... Saturday should be interesting!

Dang.

I started to watch Survivor and forgot all about the game!

Double Dang!

Manny Money Bags

Just read this at ESPN -

Friday, October 17, 2008
    Report: Red Sox players vote to pay Manny two-thirds' playoff share
    ESPN.com news services

Manny Ramirez spent the playoffs in Dodger blue. But he'll still get a share of Boston Red Sox playoff green.

The Boston Herald reported that Red Sox players last month voted Ramirez a two-thirds share of playoff money, reflecting the fact that Ramirez played two-thirds of the season in Boston before he was traded at the July 31 deadline to Los Angeles.

Only players who were on the roster for the entire season were eligible to vote, according to the report. For players who did not spend the entire season with the team, voting players first determined whether the players in question would get a payout for exact time on the roster, or a larger percentage, reflecting their contribution to the team.

For example, in 2004, Nomar Garciaparra received a three-fourths share of Boston's playoff money, despite the fact he played only two-thirds of the season with the Red Sox before being dealt to the Chicago Cubs.

According to a source with direct knowledge of the vote, the vote on Ramirez was divided, the Herald reported.

"Some wanted him to be paid days," the source said, rather than a more generous share, according to the report. "It was obviously a somewhat sensitive subject with some guys, but we didn't spend too much time on it. After the vote, we moved on."

Outfielder Jason Bay, who was obtained as part of the deal that sent Ramirez to L.A. and replaced him as the starting left fielder, received more than a one-third share. It was not clear if he was voted a half- or three-quarters share, according to the report.

Last year, a full share for the World Series-champion Red Sox totaled $308,235.75, based on a players' pool of $18.9 million. The Sox awarded 47 full shares, 14 partial shares and 11 cash awards, according to the Herald's report.

While Ramirez might be missing out on some playoff money from his old team, he stands to make a lot more money on the free-agent market this offseason. In Los Angeles, where fans serenaded him with "Stay, Manny, stay" in the waning innings of the National League Championship Series, he told reporters, "I want to see who is the highest bidder."

Dodgers owner Frank McCourt, who dealt for Ramirez at the trading deadline and saw him carry the team to the NL West title and the NLCS, didn't offer any guarantees.

"It takes two to tango," McCourt said. "Of course we want him back."

Game 7

That's all we need to know - Sunday night in Tampa. Sox vs Rays.

Tonight is it.

Good game, tonight is the heartbreaker.

---------

Boras was on the tube the other day talking up his free agents.

Moron.

---------

I hope that Frank Caliendo's show dies a quick TV death. This guy is funny, once. The commercials every two seconds promoting the show are irritating and really stupid.

I enjoy comedy and people who do impressions, but the stink is starting to settle in on this 'rose'.
    He did a Fox program and he did every one of characters, doing mature material-oh, he does them well, but there is the 'Robin Williams' affect in action there. Every interview is a mini-performance and we never find out who the real person behind the comedy.

IT's almost painful to want more baseball when you know that it will be a FC program with baseball commercials tossed in.

OH and TBS apologizes for the technical difficulties that kept you wondering about the first inning of the 6th game of the NLCS. I thought it was raining, tuned in to see they were playing in a dome and laughed.
    Last edited by RICHARD; 10-19-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: peeve?

WAY TO GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOLOLOL, GO TO SLEEP!

It's a school night!

------------------

Good game. I hope they are all this close.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    LOLOLOL, GO TO SLEEP!

It's a school night!
    LOL! Richard!

Me last night >>>> But, now our Phils are coming home! Unfortunately the weather for tomorrow is going to be rainy but hopefully it will clear out by the evening. It is 39 degrees right now. Maybe the cold will be too much for those Florida guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    Me last night >>>> But, now our Phils are coming home! Unfortunately the weather for tomorrow is going to be rainy but hopefully it will clear out by the evening. It is 39 degrees right now. Maybe the cold will be too much for those Florida guys.
    Now it's just a best of five.....

Good luck and as long as the games aren't 99-0, I'll be happy!

WOO! HOO! That was a nail biter! I am getting too old for this kind of excitement!

WOO! HOO! That was a nail biter! I am getting too old for this kind of excitement!
    You shouldn't be yelling in the house so late at night.

Great game.

------------------

Growing up in a house full of boys my mom had to endure the yelling and screaming of sports fans. On the warm days when the doors and windows are open she hears me yelling during Monday Night Football in my house......

During half time I'd trip over to her place and after a stern warning about "making noise at night", she asks....
    "Who's winning?"

When I get too exuberant watching sports on TV I end up freaking out the cats.

Then there was the night the Red Sox won the Series in 2004. My husband had gone to bed at 10pm. So, of course, when the bottom of the 9th rolls around, I opened up the bedroom door and told him he simply had to get up. Then I went back and turned the sound waaaay up.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post

Then there was the night the Red Sox won the Series in 2004. My husband had gone to bed at 10pm. So, of course, when the bottom of the 9th rolls around, I opened up the bedroom door and told him he simply had to get up. Then I went back and turned the sound waaaay up.
    MY RBGF was a HUGE football/Rams fan. She also liked her manicures.

She got to see the Rams win the SuperBowl and I got to see the scratches on my arms heal up nicely during the off season.

WOO! HOO!
    The game ended before midnight, are you happy?