Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Baseball '08!

LOL,

The McCourts do it again.....

Manny fricking Ramirez is a Dodger. What did I tell you before? Frank MC will only deal with the Bosox.....Look at all the Sox who came over with whathisname, Little, when he came out west.

After the Andruw Jones debacle this better work out for the 'boys in blue'.

Baseball 'invented in Britain'

Baseball, America's treasured national sport, was first played in Britain, according to new evidence.

Local historians in Surrey have confirmed that baseball was played in the UK more than 20 years before American independence.

A diary that documents a game being played in Guildford in 1755 has been verified by Surrey History Centre.

William Bray, a Surrey diarist and historian from Shere, wrote about the game when he was still a teenager.

Julian Pooley, Surrey History Centre manager and William Bray expert, said the diary showed the game was a well-established sport in the 18th Century and was played by men and women.

Mr Pooley said: "He kept lots and lots of diaries that we have in the Surrey History Centre but last year a new one was discovered in a garden shed and it contains his diary from 1754 to 1755.

"It contains a reference to him playing baseball. What intrigued me is he is playing it with a load of young ladies."

The diary states they had tea after the game on Easter Monday and also played cricket.

Kevin Sullivan, the Washington Post's London correspondent and an avid Boston Red Sox fan, said: "It's a great American tradition to take things from other places and improve them. We've always known that baseball evolved - it wasn't invented like basketball.".

------------

Next the Brits will claim they invented fish and chips, the Beatles and the United States!

"It contains a reference to him playing baseball. What intrigued me is he is playing it with a load of young ladies."

AHA!, they did invent the phrase, "You throw like a girl!"
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

I heard that story, but what boggles the mind is how ladies could have played baseball in corsets and hoop skirts! Makes me think it was a far different game back then.

Sure is an interesting late season for the AL East. Were it not for the wildcard being instituted, I'd be betting the Red Sox would repeat the pattern of so many of my childhood years and battle and battle all the way to .... second place. Back then (do I sound old yet?) that meant no playoff opportunities. Should be a fascinating next month or so ...

Did any of you see the latest issue of Sports Illustrated? The cover story is about Yankee Stadium - written from the perspective of the stadium. I have to admit I had several episodes of LES while reading it.

I have two very favorite memories of Yankee Stadium - one in person, one from TV.

On October 8, 1956, Don Larsen pitched the only perfect game in World Series history. I remember watching the end of it on TV. Will never forget Yogi jumping into Larsen's arms after the last out.

Then on October 10, 1962, I was in Yankee Stadium to see the Yankees win game 5 of that World Series against the San Francisco Giants. Tommy Tresh hit a 3-run homer, and the Yankees won 5-3.

I love baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I have to admit I had several episodes of LES while reading it.

I love baseball.

I hope that you respect the rules.

Rule 1000, Section 1a

There is no crying in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I hope that you respect the rules.

Rule 1000, Section 1a

There is no crying in baseball.
    I beg to differ with you. There is crying, tears of joy, in baseball. Especially on a Wednesday night at the end of October, with a full moon, and your team has just won the World Series for the first time in 86 years.

I beg to differ with you. There is crying, tears of joy, in baseball. Especially on a Wednesday night at the end of October, with a full moon, and your team has just won the World Series for the first time in 86 years.
    Bah, A Purist!

I know I will watch tomorrow's game from NY...

Loved the game.

Tidbits on the last game in NY.

People were searched for tools before they entered the stadium.
    LOL, I thought about that. I would have had a screwdriver and pliers in my pocket.

People were allowed onto the warning track before the game, But were not allowed to take dirt or grass from the field......

I did see the players take dirt off of the mound. That was funny. Of course, the Yankees memorabilia will go on sale, on the internet, for huge bucks. Those seats with the Yankee logo would be fun to have in my house.

(THis coming from a long time Yankee hater-I'll never forget '77 and '78!)

I loved the shot of Reggie sitting next to Val Kilmer and everyone ignoring Kilmer.

(this coming from a long time Reggie hater-I'll never forget you stepping into that ball Russell threw to Garvey and Garvey whining like a girl!)

How come there was no video of the Dodgers winning the 81 series at Yankee stadium?

(This coming from a long time Yankee hater!)

And why did Arizona have to win the 01 series? I wanted NY to win so badly.

(This coming from a long time sports fan!)

I loved the old farts - Berra, Skowron, Whitey Ford, Mrs. Phil Rizzuto; the Mantle and Maris and Munson 'kids', the Murcer family; Don Larsen - wonderful!!

Did you watch any of the game? Yogi and Whitey were in the broadcast booth for awhile. Whitey tells how, during Larsen's perfect game, he had to warm up in the bullpen starting about the 6th inning. Coach told him - 'You know Don gets tired early sometimes.'

Did you watch any of the game?

I watched parts of it. The camera work was really crappy. Those lenses got misty a few times.

Hold on to your hats.......

It's time for PLAYOFF BASEBALL!

Hearts will be broken,
    Dreams realized.
    Catches made.
    Outs recorded!

I miss the days when a pitcher twirled a game.

Game sevens will be forced!
    Records set.
    Gooses will get bumped and in the end there is a botle of champagne
    siting on a shelf somewhere. Waiting. Half of it will be spilled, absorbed into sweaty shirts, dirty pants and someone's hair.

And one kid, far away too young from being able to even look at any alcoholic beverage, will be waiting for their turn one day!

I love baseball!

Go Cubs!

I'm so disappointed in the Cardinals.

It's all my fault, too. I should have never gone to see them play; since that night they've done nothing but suck! LOL

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    I'm so disappointed in the Cardinals.

It's all my fault, too. I should have never gone to see them play; since that night they've done nothing but suck! LOL
    If THAT'S the case!

I should have splurged for a DODGERS game!

On these occasions that is what NEXT YEAR is for!

Ugh, Stupid CUBS.

Did anyone stay up to see the Idiot-ah Mayor of Lost Angeles in the stands?

With the extra cameras on hand there was no way that he would miss that opportunity.

GO Red Sox.......

GO PHILLIES!!!!!!!