Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race ~ 2008 ~ Lance Mackey WINS on Wednesday!

Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race ~ 2008 ~ Lance Mackey WINS on Wednesday!

Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race 2008

Race Starts SUNDAY, March 2, 2008 at 2:00 pm ALASKA Standard Time
    in the Alaskan town of Willow, AK.

A 10-mile Pre-Race ran through the streets of Anchorage, AK, today for the public
    and the media - the "real race" starts on Sunday.

PLEASE ~ If you don't "like" or agree with the running of this race ~
    PLEASE do your *flaming* in another thread!
    THIS ONE is for the Iditarod Race FANS!

The Race is well covered on the "official" Iditarod web site >>>
    http://www.iditarod.com/

Special Attention:
    A New Feature this year (and free, this year) is the trial of a GPS Mapping system
    that will track EACH SLED - much the same way they ID and show the speeds of the NASCAR cars.
    Each participating sled (MOST of 'em) will carry a small GPS receiver/transponder that
    will report the sled's location - for display on a course map.

http://www.iditarod.com/race/ionearth.html ... It's FREE (this year).

Time Conversions:

2:00 pm ALASKA Standard Time is >>>
    * 3:00 pm California / Pacific / Yukon Time
    * 4:00 pm Mountain Time
    * 5:00 pm Central Time
    * 6:00 pm Eastern Time

HEY Tamara ~~~

Do we Pet Talkers have a Favorite Team to *root* for??

MUSH ON!!

Last edited by Cinder & Smoke; 03-12-2008 at 06:22 AM.
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Question... why would people be against the Iditarod??

Question ... Why would people be against the Iditarod??
    There are a LOT of rather outspoken folks who think the Iditarod type of sled dog racing
    is cruel to the dogs. They usually post their objections when the Race begins.

Let's PLEASE keep This Thread focused on the progress of the race - not it's politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke
    [HEY Tamara ~~~

MUSH ON!!

Karen Ramstead is a friend of mine. She's running a team of beautiful, championship titled Siberians.

There are several Yukon mushers this year--Gerry Willomitzer, Sebastian Schnuelle, Hans Gatt(technically he lives in BC, but we claim him).

I'd like to see Lance Mackey repeat as winner.

There are a LOT of rather outspoken folks who think the Iditarod type of sled dog racing is cruel to the dogs.
    They don't limit themselves to the I-rod. Most of them would like to ban mushing(and any other form of recreation/activity) that involves animals in all it's forms, including teams like mine.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier

Karen Ramstead is a friend of mine... Racing "Bib" # 19

Yukon mushers >>>
    * Gerry Willomitzer ....... Bib # 7
    * Sebastian Schnuelle .. Bib # 68
    * Hans Gatt ............... Bib # 38

I'd like to see Lance Mackey repeat as winner... Bib # 6
    Good Luck to ALL the Teams - Mushers and Dogs!

Good luck everyhusky & human! I think the I-rod has a fascinating history and is exciting to follow. It's not the only long-distance mushing event, but it is the most famous. Karen offered her Pretty Sled Dogs as a prize on Meeshka's blog-a-thon last year.... several bloggin dogs made it to her speeches, too. Alas, we were not among them. I keep trying to convince hubby that we ned to do a "sled dog" vacation.

Thanks for the link & the info, we'll be rooting for those Yukon teams!

I have nothing against the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Racing --- it is just a sport, and that is what Siberian Huskies were bred to do! I don't see the problem here.

Best of luck to all the mushers.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

A New Feature this year (and free, this year) is the trial of a GPS Mapping system
    that will track EACH SLED - much the same way they ID and show the speeds of the NASCAR cars.
    Each participating sled (MOST of 'em) will carry a small GPS receiver/transponder that
    will report the sled's location - for display on a course map.

http://www.iditarod.com/race/ionearth.html ... It's FREE (this year).
    I got it sorta right ...

Not all, Not "most", just SOME Sleds (20 by last count) will be Transponder equipped.
    (Out of 90+ Starters!)

Here's the Real Skoop >>>

Twenty sled-mounted GPS units on their way to Nome in test
    Starting today, fans will be able to track the progress of 19 mushers and one trailbreaker as the Iditarod runs a live test using leading-edge GPS transmitters with powerful batteries. The Iditarod has floated the idea for about three years to attach a transmitter to every sled in the race, using satellite technology to present each team’s location live at all times as the race moves from Anchorage to Nome.

This year, technology finally caught up to the vision.

A company called IonEarth makes the transmitters, which already are used to track adventure races such as Baja off-road events and ocean sailing competitions; they teamed Iridium Satellite LLC and another company that develops military grade batteries. That’s key: these units are expected to last the entire race with one set of batteries in temperatures down to 40-below Fahrenheit. If the temperature plunges lower than that, which is easily possible, the electronics on some of the transmitters will simply stop working, but the devices should kick back on once it warms up, according to IonEarth.

Not everyone is sold on the concept. There are concerns about mushers being able to get hold of information from the tracking system and use it to their advantage, violating race rules about accepting outside assistance. Race officials say they will limit access to tracking information. And mushers who support the idea say the technology wouldn’t tell them much that they wouldn’t already know simply by observing the competition on the trail.

This year, the 30-ounce units will send a signal every 15 minutes that will tell the speed, temperature and musher’s location along the trail. If it works, the goal would be to put one of these in every sled next year and possibly increase the transmissions to every three minutes, Iditarod director Stan Hooley said.

Get Ready ...

First Sled is off in another 45 minutes.
    Dunno who will issue the command "Mushers, START your DOGS!" ...
    but I'll bet it's just as noisy as a NASCAR Start!

MUSH ON!

OK, so I KNOW I must ask this EVERY year.

Why are they Siberian Huskies? Why don't they use Malamutes? the bigger the dog, the faster you can cover the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    OK, so I KNOW I must ask this EVERY year.

Why are they Siberian Huskies? Why don't they use Malamutes? the bigger the dog, the faster you can cover the territory.
    Frankly almost no one uses either breed. I think Karen's is the only team of purebreds in this year. There's never more than two or three siberian teams anymore and they are rarely competitive. Karen's best finish is 51st and that's pretty dang good for a team of purebreds.

Malamutes are extremely slow and their temperment makes them bad racing dogs. Mals are supposed to be dog aggressive. Not a good thing when you have 16 of them trying to pass another team.

Most racing sled dogs don't even look like huskies anymore. They are often GSP and hound mixes. Most weigh under 50 pounds. My dogs are considered frieght style dogs and look huge against competitive racing dogs.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier

Most racing sled dogs don't even look like huskies anymore.

My dogs are considered frieght style dogs and look huge against competitive racing dogs.
    "Freight Haulers" or not ... they sure LOOK the Part!!

Are all the FurKids inside, watchin the Race?

I am rooting for my co-worker's daughter! She is a rookie this year, but we are all very excited for her! I will have to find out the name of her team. Several of us in the office bought t-shirts to help her with the cost of the race, and I know it's on the shirt. Problem is it's in the washer! She is from Oregon.
    Proud Meowmie of Sasha

RIP sweet Tabitha, my heart kitty. You are loved and missed every day. 1988 - 2010

Lance Mackey ~ Bib #6 ~ WINS the 2008 Iditarod

At about 2:40 am ALASKAN time on Wednesday, March 12, 2008 -
    Musher Lance Mackey, Racing Bib #6 -
    pulled past the Finish Line in Nome, Alaska, with a comfortable lead over
    2nd Place Musher Jeff King.

Way to go, Lance and Nice Pulling by all his DOGS!

The winners father lives in Concord, NH.

Congratulations! I just wish it was on t.v.
    I love Fenway, JoJo, Olivia and Nonnie!