Thread: STILL not housebroken!

STILL not housebroken!

Jersey will be 8 months old tomorrow and she is STILL not housebroken. This is driving me up the WALL. I have NEVER had such a problem housebreaking a dog.

I take her out every 45 minutes to an hour. When she's out of her crate, I keep an eye on her while I am doing things but if I am very preoccupied, she goes in her kennel.

If she doesn't go potty with the other dogs outside, I take them in and take her out on a leash alone. I always make sure she does her business before we play. Playing is her reward.

It is really starting to become an issue with my mom, as we have put new carpet/laminate down throughout the house. The new carpet already smells of urine.

I just don't know what to do anymore.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

Does she have a medical problem? I've heard of a dog who had GI problems that helped to weaken his bladder.

I'm sure you already know this, but have you been watching out for Jersey's potty dance? Also, what about using a bell? If you don't see her potty dance, she can at least ask to go outside (although that would only help if she knew she should pee/poo outside =/).

My last resort suggestion would be to put a female dog diaper on her. I know dogs instinctively don't like to mess on themselves, so perhaps a dog diaper would be just enough aversion to housebreak her.

ETA: I'm sure you know this already, but clean those urine spots well!! I personally bit the bullet and used bleach on the carpet. Then, two years later, we got rid of the carpet altogether

Clean the carpet with Nature's Miracle - it has enzymes that break down not only the chemicals that you are smelling, but the ones that you cannot smell that tell Jersey "good place to pee." Be diligent about that, and it will help.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Giselle
    Does she have a medical problem? I've heard of a dog who had GI problems that helped to weaken his bladder.

I'm sure you already know this, but have you been watching out for Jersey's potty dance? Also, what about using a bell? If you don't see her potty dance, she can at least ask to go outside (although that would only help if she knew she should pee/poo outside =/).

My last resort suggestion would be to put a female dog diaper on her. I know dogs instinctively don't like to mess on themselves, so perhaps a dog diaper would be just enough aversion to housebreak her.

ETA: I'm sure you know this already, but clean those urine spots well!! I personally bit the bullet and used bleach on the carpet. Then, two years later, we got rid of the carpet altogether
    As far as I know, there is no medical problem, but we have never gone to the vet to get it specifically checked out. Jersey does let me know when she has to go out, I just take her. She pees every time I take her out. There has never been a time we've gone out and she hasn't peed. She pees on command outside and gets a treat every time she does.

I've been thinking about diapers, but have never seen them around here before. I'll have to look around.

I use Windex on the carpet, but it might be time to invest in something like Karen mentioned.

I am not really angry over this situation, I am more literally exhausted with it.

"Did you ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you?
    But when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window." -- Steve Bluestone

DEFINITELY use Nature's Miracle or some type of heavy cleaner. Like I said, we just took no chances and used bleach, but that'll kill your carpet (hence, why we removed it LOL).

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    I use Windex on the carpet, but it might be time to invest in something like Karen mentioned.
    I second Karen and Sophie's suggestion. The Windex may in fact be perpetuating the problem....as it smells of ammonia.
    Best of luck! It certainly seems like you are doing everything you can to help her.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Quote Originally Posted by BC_MoM
    Windex will do nothing to get rid of the enzymes, so she still smells where she went potty and she will keep going there. I HIGHLY recomend using Nature's Miracle. Since it's carpet, you'll have to soak the area so the cleaner gets down to the padding. I'd soak the area, let it dry for a few days, then do it again.
    Something else I've found works great is letting soak in for a few hours then place an old rag (or 4 or 5 paper towels) over it then place something heavy on it for a day. It pulls everything up to the towel, I do this twice in a row (drying inbetween). You'll be suprised to see how dirty the towel is once it's dry.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome