Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my vent on designer dogs

my vent on designer dogs

All this talk of designer dogs, rare hybrids, etc. Never good ol fashion mutt, mixed breed, cross breed. Things these dogs all really are. Nothing specail about them. I am a proud owner of a Rhodesian Ridgeback/ Lab cross. I have NEVER called her any sort of "special" hybrid or designer anything. She is my sweet lovable good ol fashion mutt. Probably one of the best dogs I have ever had in my possesion. And most of you know I have come in contact with LOTS o puppers! Mostly purebreds. I don't ean to be rude in any way shape or form, but I'm at my wits end when it comes to all this "fancy mutt" talk. I work at a vet clinic where we get all these new puppies that people paid bookooloads of money for just because they are "designer" or "rare". Some owners actually get upset when I label their dog as "Mixed Breed" I can't tell you how many times I have heard "This is NOT a mixed breed! My lil Prissy Pants McGee is a Schnoodle, pekepoo, schnorkie, beagador, basset-poo, goldendoodle, mateschnoo, american hairless-poo, and whatever else some scammer that accidently got their dog pregnant by another breed pulls ou their butt to make money off a mutt.

Guess what! I bet ya money I could find ANY mix you have on death row in a shelter for far less then what you paid for your new puppy! When are people gonna learn...IT'S A MUTT!!!!!
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

I find it halarious when people are actually stupid enough to be convinced that their mutt is a purebred. I think everyone on here is with you on what your saying.
    We have so many stupid mixes come in and the names, oh my they are the worst. Who comes up with these names?!
    I love writting down that all these "poo" dogs are mix breeds.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

AMEN Lute!!!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

My lil Prissy Pants McGee is a Schnoodle, pekepoo, schnorkie, beagador, basset-poo, goldendoodle, mateschnoo, american hairless-poo
    This made me spit my tea out but I agree 100% with all you said! Often asked what Archie is so I just say "he's an Archie - part clown, part dustbin"
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I have to add a story that fits here in this thread.

A about a year ago a co-worker and his girlfriend were ready to get a dog so he came to me because he knew I was all about rescue and adopting. Turned out that his girlfriend was dead set on a Puggle.
    So I found a few in rescues and other Beagle/Pug mixes in shelters etc.
    He started complaining about the adopting process and "Why do I have to be approved by the rescue before adopting blah.. blah.. this is going to take to long." I kept telling him to be patient and begging him not to go to a pet store. I even started sending him links to pictures from puppy mills and showed him pictures of how they are shipped in the back of trucks and some die while being shipped.
    Suddenly he stopped talking to me about it. I thought he had finally realized that he just needs to be patient. The truth was that he and his girlfriend went to a pet store "Just to look" and they saw a Puggle and bought it.
    He was afraid to tell me because he knew how mad I would be.
    He had the dog for almost a WEEK before I found out. (through another co-worker)
    THENNNNNN
    Just about 2 months ago the same guy said he wanted to get a boxer and again, came to me. I found boxer puppies that were up for adoption, he was happy, I was happy.... then... just like the last time. I found out 4 days after that he bought a puppy from a breeder.

The bottom line...
    Some people will NEVER get it, they are closed minded and will never change.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

OMG!!
    Not only mixing 2 breeds... look at this!!
    http://www.breederinfocenter.com/ind...20061024023508

Dakota Sheepdogs are a new breed that is bred from English Shepherds, Australian Shepherds, Cocker Spaniels, and Poodles. The intention is to breed a perfect family dog! Being very smart, easy to train, gentle, loving, faithful, not at all shy or hyper, but having a nice, medium temperment. Fun, as far as playing ball with the kids, but also low to no shedding

OMG! Give me a FLIPPING Break already you BRAINLESS people that call yourself "breeders"!!!!!
    Get a life and stop the madness!!!!
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9
    OMG!!
    Not only mixing 2 breeds... look at this!!
    http://www.breederinfocenter.com/ind...20061024023508

Dakota Sheepdogs are a new breed that is bred from English Shepherds, Australian Shepherds, Cocker Spaniels, and Poodles. The intention is to breed a perfect family dog! Being very smart, easy to train, gentle, loving, faithful, not at all shy or hyper, but having a nice, medium temperment. Fun, as far as playing ball with the kids, but also low to no shedding

OMG! Give me a FLIPPING Break already you BRAINLESS people that call yourself "breeders"!!!!!
    Get a life and stop the madness!!!!
    Wtf..pretty speachless.
    People are soo soo dumb.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

UGHHHHH! Don't EVEN get me started....

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Ivy is a rare miniature Dobrador Pintriever.

Very few exist in the world. Maybe I should breed her...

could not agree more! its gotten to the point that I am afraid to tell people what mix exactly my mutts are lest they go "oh I liked that mix" and try to breed some of their own, now instead of specifying that Ripley is a Schipperkie/Bosten Terrier, when people ask I just ay "he's a mix" , same goes for Rusty.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Wooo wooo.. Love this post! I think these people are nuts that spend all that money on a mixed breed. I always stop by the pet store in our local mall. I just walk through to see the new breeds.. lol. I just shake my head and feel so sorry for these little puppy-mill doggies..

So sad... J wanted a puggle for a while.. store wanted $500 for her. WOOF. Needless to say, she came to her senses and we now have 3 rescues..

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

I am all in favor of volunteering my creative services to shelters and coming up with "designer" names for mixed breed dogs if it would help more lovable mixes get homes.

Humans sure are silly critters. Gullible, too.
    I've Been Frosted

"The intention is to breed a perfect family dog!"

I hate to break it to those highly respectable Dakota Sheepdog breeders... but, such a dog has already been discovered. His name is Fozzie, and he's a Corglesky. : D Oh, and he didn't quite cost $1200! (WTMFFF)... Since when is a "perfect family dog" the same dog, for all families? Since when was every family completely uniform? The reason we have created different breeds is to fit different needs... there are hundreds of pure breeds for a family to pick from... why would everyone want the same dog, when just as dog's personalities differ, individuals also differ?

It disgusts me that "designer dogs" have become widely accepted, cherished, and desired over our plain old "mutts". Alongside the breed calendars, I see Schnoodle, Cockapoo, Labradoodle, Doodlespork, Crapadoodle, etc, etc, calendars. It's as if people feel that their designer dogs are more important than our mutts... simply because they come with a silly name and they paid $1000's more for them! If anything, I would horribly embarassed to have paid an anstronomical price for a DD, when a "plain old mutt" is free or for a small adoption fee... AND I would be horribly embarassed to call my dog one of those ridiculous "breed" names. It all just makes them look stupid, to be honest.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I went on petfinder and found a "schnoodle" in my local shelter who is pregnant. It just proves you can go to your local shelter and get a MUTT for an actually DECENT price. They really are taking away from other breeds

There are absolutely no designer dogs in my house! My husband and I are getting ready to go to the pound to find our newest family member. That is where the best dogs in world are!!! My husband wanted to buy a purebred, and I adamantly refused. He knew how passionate I was about rescuing, and has now seen the light!!! his thinking has changed so much, that when a co-worker asked what kind of dog we were buying, he said---- We are not buying, we're going to save one from the pound!! The funniest thing is that everyone thinks that Smokey is some sort of maltipoo, but we always tell people, he's just a lovable mutt!! I wouldn't have it any other way
    Last edited by loveallfurryfriends; 02-29-2008 at 08:49 AM.
    Smokedog's mommy
    I've been frosted!!