Page 7 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

What is duck confit and why did Lisa only have one, anyway? Why was Jen banging the jar on the stainless steel counter? Did she even try to twist off the lid?

I noticed that Kelsey was not the only one who gave RR a task, but she was the only one who got a negative comment during the evaluation. I also thought they should not have docked Aaron for washing his hands. It's not his fault that RR's sink is where it is on the set.

And Richard, the neighborhood where I grew up used to be European and Eastern European (Polish, Italian, Czech, German, Irish, etc.) and is now largely Mexican. So I'm learning the difference between "fast" Mexican food like Taco Bell, places like Chi-Chi or Pepe's, and traditional Mexican cooking. My mom and dad still live in the house where I grew up. My Ukrainian grandpa used to eat tripe soup.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    What is duck confit and why did Lisa only have one, anyway? .

And Richard, the neighborhood where I grew up used to be European and Eastern European (Polish, Italian, Czech, German, Irish, etc.) and is now largely Mexican. So I'm learning the difference between "fast" Mexican food like Taco Bell, places like Chi-Chi or Pepe's, and traditional Mexican cooking. My mom and dad still live in the house where I grew up. My Ukrainian grandpa used to eat tripe soup.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_confit

And what is it with the dish that Lisa made last week and the dish she tried the Brownie kid to 'want' this week-the green bean dish......The "Harvick Couture".........giggle.....I love it when people use the 'gastronomic' term for a meal and when you ask them what it is they tell you something like "Cornflakes, it's Portuguese for cornflakes."

Green beans-----Oh, go to the Asian store and get some long greenbeans, oyster sauce, onions and mushrooms.

Saute the veggies until they are the way you like them, then put some oyster sauce in. If you like gravy, mix a little corn starch with water and add that to the mix. fast and tasty-but the oyster sauce can be salty, be careful.

Cook some chicken and you are there.

Check out the "chile verde" when you go out.....It's pork cooked in a green chile sauce-But be careful, some places cook it spicy- Mex restaurants don't have a standard recipe for food-it depends on what part of Mexico that cook comes from
    ---------------

If Aaron hadn't washed his hands they would have jumped all over him for that-either way, he was doomed for that. I had to laugh when Tooshman made the comment that one of the segments was 'hard to watch'..He hasn't tuned into his network lately.

--------

D&D,
    I was thinking about the "entertainment factor" too.

IF I was looking for the NFNS, I'd be watching for information, technique, charisma and entertainment. One minute, 90 seconds or even four minutes isn't enough for one dish. I think the average program is 24 mintues long-minutes long- their times are nearly not long enough. Compare that to a person who HAS a show on-they are given staff, time and writers to script the show.

And when will they let them cook a whole meal?

IF they do, will Lisa make her "Futzie-Nutzle" green been dish?

I looked up lisa's green bean dish....just for the stupid name and cannot find it.

-----------------

I had to laugh at this....

MY mom had watched a RR program and I guess she was all about the emails that she gets from people.....

She had the meatballs to comment on all the people who sent her notes about her touching her hair while she cooked.....

Ya think?

-----

TONIGHT!!
    Last edited by RICHARD; 07-13-2008 at 06:59 PM.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

RR is something else. I can't watch her without almost pulling my hair out. I seriously have to turn the channel. She's so hyper, it wears me out.

Did you see the reference she made one day to cooking something and burning it? Her dog, Izaboo, got scared when the smoke alarm came on. Now Izzy gets scared every time she starts to cook so she goes and hides in the house somewhere. RR made kind of a joke about it. She said she needs to work with Izzy and get her out of this worry mode. I found it completely unamusing but she was nervously chuckling through the story.

Anywho......now I've hear her laugh and joke many times since then about burning things and setting the smoke alarm off all the time at her house. All I can do is think of the poor dog.

I've also noticed alot of double dipping going on the FN lately. With food and with utensils. I've always wondered who is going to eat that food after the show goes off.

I watched the Booby Flake grill show this morning. I caught him last night on the South Beach special. With Booby, it's all about competition. He's so worried about someone outdoing him. It's almost an illness with him. Get over yourself Booby!!

Two guys on the grill show this morning used almonds in their pesto sauce. Booby told them he's going to steal the idea. What a shock!!

Secrets Of A Restaurant Chef--Holy Cow!! She keeps slapping the meat when she gets ready to cook it, throwing spices across the room, saying things that are really off the wall, and treating salt like it's a sacred object. A piece of work she is!!

Tonight we're in Vegas. I hope those guys can show some potential somewhere. I suppose the public will vote like last time. This year, I'll vote the opposite of what I really want and maybe my pick will win. Now I just have to pick somebody

Did anybody catch Emeril live the other day when he had Chef Jacques on there? I can almost swear that Chef J was adding eggs to a hot souffle mixture and you could clearly see the eggs scrambled in the bowl. I know they go to lengths to temper the eggs, but, in this case, he didn't. I never did see that souffle go to the oven either.
    Chef Jacques drank alot of alcohol during the one hour segment and he possibly forgot to temper them.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    RR is something else. I can't watch her without almost pulling my hair out. I seriously have to turn the channel. She's so hyper, it wears me out.

Did you see the reference she made one day to cooking something and burning it? Her dog, Izaboo, got scared when the smoke alarm came on. Now Izzy gets scared every time she starts to cook so she goes and hides in the house somewhere. RR made kind of a joke about it. She said she needs to work with Izzy and get her out of this worry mode. I found it completely unamusing but she was nervously chuckling through the story.
    At the risk a taking flak for this one.

I do think that she is does a little self medicating,If ya know what I mean,
    Check out her eyes on some shows. I know that she might be tired, she does/records alot of stuff, but I get the suspicion that there is something going on there

I feel sorry for the poor dog. It deserves better owners. I think that the dog has seen more than one incident like that.

--------------------------

THanks for reminding me about the voting....i have never voted for any contestant based show on the telly......IF people voted for the bistro lady, no wonder we have problems with elections here in the U.S.

I wonder how many '.99 cents per call' the FN will make?

-----------------

I just noticed that GF doesn't cook. I finally sat thru one of his shows.

He just prepares dishes, than goes to commercials

The most annoying thing is the lead in clips from commercials-he takes food and jams it into his pie hole. He owes me one-half hour.
    Last edited by RICHARD; 07-13-2008 at 06:56 PM.

http://www.toomanychefs.net/archives/001143.php

I was flipping thru the posts in this site and came across this one...

True Bobby Flay story: We contacted Bobby Flay at the food network for a paid public appearance at a convention in Las Vegas. His demands exceeded most Rock Stars! He wanted $60K to fly in, 2 first class round trip tickets from NYC for him and his "assistant" (read girlfriend) a 4 room suite at the Bellagio, and all he was willing to do was a demo of his choosing that had nothing to do with the dinner being served. We had to provide a restaurant style kitchen set and all production was to meet his standards which would not be sent until he was paid first. He was such an ego maniac that we gave up and hired Rick Bayless for a small fraction of what Flay wanted, and I have no doubt that Bayless is a far better chef.

DOH!!!
    Last edited by RICHARD; 07-13-2008 at 06:53 PM.

I agree with you, Richard. At first, I thought RR was drinking too much coffee. With her one time affiliation with Dunkin Donuts(What happened to that gig by the way?--I heard the commercials were pulled).
    That girl is way too hyper to be going on nothing but plain old energy or caffeine. She talks so fast, she has to make terms up to keep up with herself. Hence, EVOO, YUMMO, Delish, etc.

Booby Flake is married to an actress--the name escapes me. I think she's on Law and Order but I'm not sure. My love affair with that guy is over. What an egotistical maniac!! I can't wait to see how obnoxious he can be tonight. More than usual?? He really acts like he's too good for everybody.

GF has beome hotter than I could ever imagine. Did you see the reaction on that South Beach show when he came on the stage? All the audience forgot about BF immediately. I always watch GF's Big Bite during the week and I can tell you, he's got too many things on his plate. He made a million mistakes last week. Some of them really stupid. Have you noticed that his goofy friends always show up and he puts them to work like hired help? I see him as more than an actor than a chef.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

In the spirit of NASCAR tailgating, chefs Mario Batali and Rachael Ray have combined forces for a grilling contest where the grand prize winner and a guest will enjoy a VIP weekend at Texas Motor Speedway alongside Batali and Ray. The winner will tailgate with the chefs prior to the Dickies 500 NASCAR Sprint Cup Series race on November 2.

-----------------

And they will get to eat chicken strips/nuggets cooked in olive oil and arugla salad, with orange slices, walnuts and brie cheese.

They will probably cook some gawdawful food that had nothing to do with Texas or Dickies. I get the fat white guy with a pony tail at a NASCAR race but why do they really need her?

I can see her at the start/finish line asking where the racers go when they see the green flag...

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post

Booby Flake is married to an actress--the name escapes me. I think she's on Law and Order but I'm not sure. My love affair with that guy is over. What an egotistical maniac!! I can't wait to see how obnoxious he can be tonight. More than usual?? He really acts like he's too good for everybody.
    He is married to Stephanie March. Who played I think one of the lawyer people on L&W SVU....mariska hargitay, I guess set them up on a blind date.
    Ruins the whole show for me now.

I've been reading this thread for a while, and it is insane how much I agree with some of you!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    http://www.toomanychefs.net/archives/001143.php

I was flipping thru the posts in this site and came across this one...

True Bobby Flay story: We contacted Bobby Flay at the food network for a paid public appearance at a convention in Las Vegas. His demands exceeded most Rock Stars! He wanted $60K to fly in, 2 first class round trip tickets from NYC for him and his "assistant" (read girlfriend) a 4 room suite at the Bellagio, and all he was willing to do was a demo of his choosing that had nothing to do with the dinner being served. We had to provide a restaurant style kitchen set and all production was to meet his standards which would not be sent until he was paid first. He was such an ego maniac that we gave up and hired Rick Bayless for a small fraction of what Flay wanted, and I have no doubt that Bayless is a far better chef.

DOH!!!
    Woah!! Sounds like such a diva..

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I looked up lisa's green bean dish....just for the stupid name and cannot find it.

-----
    Haricots verts? Do you have Trader Joe's in California, Richard? They carry frozen haricots verts, which are skinnier and longer than regular green beans. As RR says, yummo

Rick Bayless is from Chicago. Frontera Grill is one of my favorite Chicago restaurants.

I was not surprised about this week's NFNS outcome. The Lisa creature is starting to grow on me.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Haricots verts? Do you have Trader Joe's in California, Richard? They carry frozen haricots verts, which are skinnier and longer than regular green beans. As RR says, yummo

Rick Bayless is from Chicago. Frontera Grill is one of my favorite Chicago restaurants.

I was not surprised about this week's NFNS outcome. The Lisa creature is starting to grow on me.
    I just don't see Lisa as being stable enough to go the distance, she seems to blow hot then cold, with very little middle ground. Maybe if she stabilizes a lot ... I do like Aaron.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I do like Aaron.
    Of the three, I have to agree...

CM,

Bayless does a PBS show called "Mexico, One plate at a Time". He does cook REAL mexican! And I love that he eats at the places where no one would "dare" patronize.

Yes, we have TJ's all over....Thanks.

ILMP,

Don't just agree with us....POST!

Thanks!

------------

Was Paula Deen really rude last night?

It's one thing to critique a dish, another to insult the person cooking.

Broomhilda-Sue?-LOL, shows you how much attention I pay to the names-
    the gal judge-makes some really stupid comments AFTER someone opens up the can-o-judging WhoopArse. She always piles on after some one is down for the count.

She's the gal that stands behind the Bully Girls during a fight and repeats the insults...."YEAH, It looked like your first time cooking it...."

You think? The guy admitted it.

The overstatement of the obvious is, well, OBVIOUS!

The one-dish-wonder challenges aren't really entertaining. I like to see cooking, not a red light-green light exercise in almost making a dish. It's really not a cooking show-its a race to get in front of two people who have personal chefs and another that can spell chipotle and mango salsa.

I am almost positive that Aaron is going to win. Just my opinion but he seems to be a far better cook than the other three. If he can get with the camera, I think I'll enjoy watching him in a show.

Paula Deen was very rude to tell Lisa that she hated her mac and cheese. I thought that remark was mean and totally not necessary. She should have stopped when she told her she didn't like it. That was enough. I could tell that she really hurt Lisa's feelings.

All that talking during the challenge would have turned me into a lunatic. How would the judges like to be bugged the whole time like that?

No big shock that Kelsey went home after the dishes she created. It was almost like she was trying to leave??

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

This whole thread is making me laugh.

Booby Flake. That is the BEST by far. I can't stand him. He is just a pompous @$$ of a chef.

I love to cook, and have been cooking and baking since I was about 6, so anything to do with cooking and baking interests me. When TV Food Network first came out, I was soooooo thrilled! I loved Emeril BEFORE his BAM! crap started. Now, I can't stand to watch him.

Rachel Ray gives me motion sickness, and I can't keep up with half of what she says. She really does seem to be on something.

There used to be a show on there, at least 10 yrs ago, that did Spanish cooking. It was two women, one blonde and one brunette. Not sure what happened to that show, but it's no longer on.

I think one of my fave guys on there now is Alton Brown. I like his humor.

I also like to watch PBS for the cooking shows. DAISY COOKS! is a favorite. I have her cookbook in my "basket" on Amazon. I'm not versed in Hispanic/Spanish cooking, but we have a lot of people from Puerto Rico, Brazil, Dominican Republic, and Cuba (to name a few) in our area. There are some great mom and pop restaurants here that do authentic cuisine, and I'd rather go there and have it done right, than have me screw it up at home, lol. Same goes for the Jamaican and other flavors from the Caribbean. I'd love to make a decent rice and beans at home WITHOUT having to use the Sazon that has MSG in it. It gives me such a headache.

The other cooking show I remember from PBS is "Yan can cook!" He was a riot. I saw a show with him on it the other day, but I'm not sure it was recent. Is he still around?

My idol is still Julia Child. She was amazing. She loved food, loved her drink, and was just the best!

Martin Yan just gave a class at my store! He was a hoot! He does have a "shctik" though. The night I went, the audience wasn't particualarly vocal or participatory and I think it threw him. He ampted up his act to a near frenzy pitch! It was pretty amusing and very fun.
    Claudia