Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404142434445464748495051525354 LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

Richard - you should explain your links - telling people it's one writer's opinion of the Worst 5 Food Network Shows is a lot more enticing than just a link!

I just watched the Next Iron Chef Finale for this season, and thought it was obvious, as the meals went on, which chef would win.

Did any of you know there was no turkey at the first Thanksgiving? I, shamefully as a Massachusetts native with ancestors present at that feast, didn't know that!
    I've Been Frosted

I saw one of the grossest/funniest things on the local morning news the other day.

There was a segment on New Year's and places that were doing dinner specials.

The program had an eatery set up a table with food outside of the studio-the menu for the NYE festivities.

The cook/chef was there with an assistant, giving samples to the host and hostess of the show.

The woman host took a taste of one dish, then set her used spoon at the edge of another dish of food that she had not tasted.

The camera caught it and showed the assistant grab the spoon and take it off the plate.

I was amazed and kinda disgusted....I think I am going to stop watching food programs or shows that have food on them.....

New season of "Next Food Network Star" starts June 5th and there is a guy from the west suburbs of Chicago in this cast -- Jeff Mauro from Elmwood Park, Illinois. I'll have it on!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Here's another observation I had about Paula Deen and her show.

We came across her program and she was making some kind of Rice Krispies Treats - RC and marshmallows, shaped and put on a popsicle stick.

PD's son was helping her while she played with a small child that was also on the set with them.
    PD sat the kid on THE CUTTING BOARD next to the area where the food was being prepped.

Holy Mole!

Does that woman have a brain?

I remember going to the bank with my mom, when I was a kid and getting yelled at for hanging on the counter..."People sit their kids on the ledge!"

I never forgot her words.

Oh my, what happened to the finalist that got eliminated? I had high hopes for that person! I am BUMMED!

Did the NFNS producers intentionally tell the finalist shopping for the quinoa to purchase two boxes instead of ten? Felt that way to me, but I'd like to try that recipe.

And Mary Beth left me with a strange impression. She felt to me like "Food Network Star" meets SNL.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

That elimination was so abrupt! And the quinoa thing - he repeated back to her two when she said ten, one or the other of them should have clarified, given the quality of the cell phone connection! I thought Susie adapted pretty well, considering.

Justin seemed like a nice guy, but turned completely wooden whenever the camera was one - he seems he'd better made for a Top Chef contestant than a Food Network Star, cared more about the food than the presentation part. We were hoping they would get rid of Penny, for the burnt macaroni and cheese that she was in denial about, but it was obvious the judges somehow "like" her more than I do!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm surprised that xxxxxxxxxxx (won't put the name in case anyone hadn't seen it) got eliminated last night. This person got mowed down by their team's stronger personalities. I thought xxxxxxxxx had a really good thing going and I'm sorry about their elimination.

I'd love to try making Vic Vegas's Philly cheese steak burrito or Penny's middle Eastern steak wrap. And Jeff's meatball sandwich - well, he's from the Chicago area, so I think I might have a chance to actually get my hands on one of those. Why did Mary Beth bring up the onion chopping thing in the eval room? I thought that was a bad decision.

Edited to ask: What's on a Philly cheese steak sandwich besides the steak? (Bell pepper? Onion? Tomato? I think I'd like it with a slice of tomato under the melted cheese.) What kind of cheese do you usually find on the sandwich, and do you toast the roll first? Is it on a hoagie roll, or can I make it with good Chicago Italian bread? Vic Vegas's wrap looked gooey and yummy to me and I think it would be easy to prepare, but I'd also like to have it as a traditional sandwich some time.

I was not surprised, it seemed like she was giving up, she just didn't have the energy she had when she first came into the competition.

Mary Beth brought up the onion chopping, because Penny was claiming she had no help from her teammates, and listing everything she did by herself, and when she listed chopping all the onions, Mary Beth spoke up.
    I've Been Frosted

So I was thinking... If Penny and Mary Beth ran at each other at high speed and collided -- together they'd probably be a contender for the NFNS. Penny's food has ranked high with the judges; Mary Beth's hasn't but the camera likes her. It's a good thing they can't, because I'm rooting for Jeff from Chicago (and Vic Vegas, but don't tell Jeff).

It's funny, because Mary Beth seems much more likable as a person, whereas Penny mistakes being petty, self-centered and vicious for being "strong" - and appears to have no understanding that this alienates people of both genders. It's kinda sad, really but I wouldn't want to watch a show of hers.
    I've Been Frosted

I missed it last night :-( What did I miss?

My mom had the whole family over for my dad's birthday, and my dad decided he wanted us all to look at old family slides from about 1965-1975. So much plaid and polyester! My dad enjoyed having the whole family around, especially his grandchildren. They're good about calling or sending him an e-mail to say hello from time to time, which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post

My mom had the whole family over for my dad's birthday, and my dad decided he wanted us all to look at old family slides from about 1965-1975. So much plaid and polyester! My dad enjoyed having the whole family around, especially his grandchildren. They're good about calling or sending him an e-mail to say hello from time to time, which is nice.
    They sent two people home, basically the first camera challenge they had to make and demonstrate their signature dish, and they had two minutes. Bob Tuschman gave each contestant some specific aspect of their on-screen presence to work on, and some people did better than others. Vick Vegas, sadly took so much time giving a thorough description that he never demonstrated any cooking, Penny did great food, but even though she tried to be more likeable, didn't pull it off at all, Mary Beth did great on camera, of course, but her food was poorly seasoned, Jyll was told to "surprise" them, but came of as too rehearsed in her "surprising' line, Chris, as usual, had a much, much too complicated dish and ran pout of time, Jeff tried not to be too crazy, and be warm, but just came off as slow and kinda lackluster, Susie was a little scattered in her presentation, but pretty good ... Whitney worked on likeability and was happier and friendlier and talked about making gazpacho for her sorority sisters, and won that one.

When they cooked for Wolfgang Puck ion the dinner party, it was pretty obvious where the flaws were. Jeff did a salad - not a sandwich, for the first course, and presented it well, Mary Beth, reacting to being told her previous dish was underseasoned, put so much cayenne in her butternut squash soup that the judges couldn't taste anything else, everybody else did well, but the worst two were Jyll and Chris. Jyll's "Risotto" was "too stiff" - in other words, it just looked like a pile of rice with stuff in it. As soon as she presented it, too everyone's surprise, Wolfgang Puck said "this is not a risotto," and took her by the arm into the kitchen to show her how to make a real rissotto, and what it should look like in terms of consistency. Bobby Flay was appalled, Jyll was mortified but managed not to dissolve into tears, and the show went on. But Chris, who ended up with dessert (Whitney got to assign courses) apologized three times, said he was not comfortable making dessert, etc., before they even got to try his food.

So it was obvious he was going home. Susie won the evening, and most of them were told they were safe. At the end, it was Mary Beth, Jyll, and Penny standing, and then MB - to her shock was told she was safe, an they sent Penny home, as her food was still great, but she just was never getting any better on camera.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I forgot to DVR the re-broadcast -- stupid me :-( BUT I can view it directly off their Web site. I am still rooting for Jeff from Chicago and for Vic Vegas.

I felt bad for Vic last night-- he started out so strong and just couldn't sustain the momentum. I'm not surprised about the person who was eliminated.