Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 313233343536373839404142434445464748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

I added some dried basil into the mix and sprinkled some sea salt across the top before I baked it.

It was good, still need to add more basil....

I was thinking of ways to keep it from being a 'sweet bread'- Onion flakes?

Well I dont have cable to tv, but I do work in a restaurant so I do know about clean and unclean things. Here's my little rant about working in a restaurant. First of all, you really shouldn't wear hand jewelry while working there, its rather disgusting. Secondly if you are wiping off a table, dont throw the towel around your sweaty neck and then wipe another table (we had a bus boy do that once, it was SOOOOO gross...luckily he was fired that day). Plus don't order a TON of cucumbers or tomatoes during the off season because they will just go bad before we can use them. Also don't eat food out of the bus tubs that is just plain WRONG (had a cook do that once-he got fired also). And and for people who go out to eat, please please don't ask the waitress if theyre fish look like male genitals. I mean thats a little disturbing. I know you are all discussing recipes, but this thread made me think of my work. Ahh the joys of working in a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by Miranda_Rae View Post
    Ahh the joys of working in a restaurant.
    Cool, and insider's point of view.

We watch and we critique the channel and it's really fun.

Of course, I could never cook as well as the chef on TV, but, it is a riot to bring them down a notch!

Is anyone into "Iron Chef America"? If you see (or have seen) the one airing this week with Paul Virant, where the secret ingredient is pheasant -- He's from Chicago and his restaurant, Vie, is 5 minutes' drive from my house! And it's terrific! He is recreating his menu prepared on the show this week for $85. He lost to Morimoto by one point. (For those of you in Chicago, it's in Western Springs, on Lawn and Burlington, next door to the post office, half a block south of True Value Hardware and the BNSF Western Springs station ) www.vierestaurant.com
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Was that when the tray of donuts fell down?

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peppero...ad/Detail.aspx
    That's the episode. The one where Irvine didn't realize the floor wasn't level. Whoops!

When I was little, the Bohemian (Czech) bakeries around here used to wrap hot dogs in their biscuit dough, sprinkle them with poppy seed and bake 'em up. Yummers! I tried doing it with Pillsbury biscuit dough, but it's not the same.

And remember Colombe from the season of NFNS with Amy, Rory and JAG? She's on the FN Web site doing a Web-only cooking show --

And D&D, there is a Fresh Market in Geneva, which is in the further west suburbs of Chicago. I looked at their Web site and I want to go find it! One of my all-time-ever favorite boutiques for Christmas gifts is also in Geneva, so I will do both of those shops in the same car trip! Thank you for the tip!

Thanks,
    Elyse

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Oh, I read that Gordon Ramsey is cancelling his "Nightmares" program.

It seems like after he leaves the eateries they still end up failing, causing the owners to try and sue GR because he came in and tried to help!

------------

How is the "Chairman" doing on the dance program?

I caught a clip of him while flipping thru the channels.

---------------

I was watching Tommy Tang cook on PBS and he gave himself the old "Pepper Spray/Cooking" lesson..... He tossed some curry paste into a hot
    pan and almost kkocked himself out...It was funny.

The Chairman(Mark) was eliminated tonight. I was really bummed out. He was incredible. A born dancer. He has six pack abs and seems to be in great shape. What I liked the most was the fact that he was so gracious through the whole time he was on the show. I'm going to miss him.

Richard:: I love dried basil more than any other herb. Maybe rosemary equally. I use it in everything.
    What is making the bread sweet? Is the pizza dough naturally sweet? Could you get some pizza dough from a local pizza restaurant that would be more savory?

Elyse, I hope you love Fresh Market. It is such a cool store. I went to the one in Asheville, NC. It's awesome. I love everything about it. Let us know how you like it.

I saw the episode with pheasant. That chef was such a nice man. I was sure he had won. The judges seemed to love his food and not like Morimoto's so much.

I'm not loving The Next Iron Chef this year. It seems too serious. Last time, we seemed to have some humor. I'm not seeing any sense of humor from anybody this time.

Did anybody watch Chopped tonight? The black man(Malik) was pretty argumentative. I'm surprised we haven't seen that before.

I think it was Alton Brown that said, "Chefs never get a break". Maybe I heard that on Top Chef. Whichever one it was, does anybody want a sick person preparing their food? I vote for letting them sit it out and get well.

I'm having a big problem with these cooking shows where the chefs are dripping with sweat. Some of them excessively sweaty. I can almost see the sweat dripping into the food.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    Richard:: I love dried basil more than any other herb. Maybe rosemary equally. I use it in everything.
    What is making the bread sweet? Is the pizza dough naturally sweet? Could you get some pizza dough from a local pizza restaurant that would be more savory?

I'm not loving The Next Iron Chef this year. It seems too serious. Last time, we seemed to have some humor. I'm not seeing any sense of humor from anybody this time.

Did anybody watch Chopped tonight? The black man(Malik) was pretty argumentative. I'm surprised we haven't seen that before.

I'm having a big problem with these cooking shows where the chefs are dripping with sweat. Some of them excessively sweaty. I can almost see the sweat dripping into the food.
    OH my lordie!, Get yourself a basil plant. I have one and have really enjoyed it. I even make salsa and toss a few leaves in.

When I made the PD it was from a box-Jiffy makes it and it's not always easy to find. I hoard the boxes and usually have to toss a couple out because it gets insects in it! They pack it in a wax paper envelope inside the box that's folded, not sealed....

I am currently looking for a recipe for PD.....There are the usual pizza chains but I haven't looked into buying just the dough.

The bread recipe asks for the yeast to be proofed with 1/3 of a cup of sugar.
    I see on the yeast packets that you can use less-I may try that.

Not digging the IC program either. Question-Does the chairman look sick or is it a bad haircut? He looks gaunt!

Yeah, the sweat thing is a real turnoff, Especially when you look at the staph infection epidemic storis in the recent news.

Chopped, was that the episode where the guy tells AB he's Nostradamus?

I have to see that one.

I've had several basil plants but they died. I need to get another one. It's fantastic!!

I've seen alot of shows where they tell you to go to the pizza shops and buy the dough. I wasn't aware they would sell it.

The Chariman looks like he's lost alot of weight. They were talking on Monday night, I think, about his rigorous schedule. He's supposedly been flying back and forth all this time and he's exhausted. He was starting to look like a sick young teenager. Last night, he was wearing so much makeup.

The Chopped wasn't that one. It was on last night. He didn't call any names. He just argued with the judges that his cooking was good and he has his opinions and they have theirs. I know the producers did it to shake things up on purpose. Otherwise, they could have cut that part out.

It was pretty entertaining to see this guy stand up for himself. The judges are so rude on that show. Often, I think they need to be brought down a little. On this show, it wasn't really necessary to become so angry like he did. They were offering constructive criticism and he refused to take it. He actually said he was cooking for the people at home and not the judges. WHAT???

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Richard, do you know if basil is safe for kitties to eat? I love the flavor of it, but I'm afraid that if I buy a plant, Cassie will munch on it while I'm at work.

Thank you,
    elyse

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Richard, do you know if basil is safe for kitties to eat? I love the flavor of it, but I'm afraid that if I buy a plant, Cassie will munch on it while I'm at work.

Thank you,
    elyse
    Jeepers,

I don't know........

http://www.catscans.com/plants.htm

Yes, it's safe!

D,

I never have tried to buy pizza dough....I'll have to find out. I always thought it would be easier to purchase it from a smaller mom and pop place-I figured the bigger places/chains would be more stringent with their 'secret recipes'?

I was also think mom and pop. The chain stores would probably look at you like you've got three heads.

Our Domino's and Pizza Hut employees here have a pre-req in order to be hired. They have to be incapable of doing anything.

I'm sure they're not all bad but most of them......YES!!

I was also wondering about that frozen bread dough you can buy in the grocery store. It's a loaf shape already but it could be kneaded down to a regular soft ball of dough. Right?

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I was also think mom and pop. The chain stores would probably look at you like you've got three heads.

Our Domino's and Pizza Hut employees here have a pre-req in order to be hired. They have to be incapable of doing anything.

I'm sure they're not all bad but most of them......YES!!

I was also wondering about that frozen bread dough you can buy in the grocery store. It's a loaf shape already but it could be kneaded down to a regular soft ball of dough. Right?
    If you want a doughy crust, you could probably use that bread dough to make a pizza ... every grocery store around here though sells balls of frozen dough just for that purpose - thaw, roll out and go!

I have to say that the Dominos we have nearby is wonderful - you can order online so you can specify exactly how you want your pizza, and the employees there are unfailingly nice, and do a great job - it's yummy. I go pick it up, instead of having it delivered, but it is worth it. (There are two North Streets in Newton, and most everyone (and many GPS devices) knows the other one, not ours!)
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    If you want a doughy crust, you could probably use that bread dough to make a pizza ... every grocery store around here though sells balls of frozen dough just for that purpose - thaw, roll out and go!

I have to say that the Dominos we have nearby is wonderful - you can order online so you can specify exactly how you want your pizza, and the employees there are unfailingly nice, and do a great job - it's yummy. I go pick it up, instead of having it delivered, but it is worth it. (There are two North Streets in Newton, and most everyone (and many GPS devices) knows the other one, not ours!)
    We get fabulous pizza from there but it takes forever to order it because of the help.
    Karen, I'm glad to hear that you have good people. I think it has something to do with Florida at my store.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

We get fabulous pizza from there but it takes forever to order it because of the help.
    Karen, I'm glad to hear that you have good people. I think it has something to do with Florida at my store.
    Seriously - try ordering online! Go to Dominos.com, and type in your zip code and find your store. You then pick your pizza, and you can just click on things for what crust, what sauce, what toppings, etc. And, after speaking with the folks at our local Dominos, they prefer the online orders, because they know exactly what the person wants, and the person knows exactly what they will be paying, too. I can easily order a pizza with no sauce - I am allergic to something in each of their sauces - online, but in any store, I have to repeat myself several times "Yes, NO sauce, I really mean it." I have never had them put sauce on a pizza when I have ordered it online!
    I've Been Frosted