Page 35 of 54 FirstFirst ... 252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

Does Mezcal have something to do with mescaline? Excuse my spelling please.

How did you rate the show overall, Richard? I was impressed to go into the inner workings of the families of the region. This is something we rarely get to see. I loved the way some of the people were totally unscathed at Corwin's behavior.
    We have a large Mexican population here. These people are simple and determined. It's amazing how they are.

Being a simple culture, I can never believe the elaborate decorations I see in some of the Mexican restaurants here. I saw some of them on tv last night on the show. Our Mexican restaurants never serve anything like the show depicted but I imagine you can get that food somewhere around here.

I'll bet the FN start incorporating the corn smut in future shows like Iron Chef. It's fascinating and exotic. FN always tries to throw the stuff in that we can never find or afford. i.e. truffles The stuff looks like something that would taste exactly like mold.
    Are Mexican people pretty healthy? I imagine their immune systems are perfect. Eating some of the things they do, they have to be strong.

I think I mentioned before that I learned, years ago, that the young Mexican girls are required to make tortillas. When my sister had 64% Mexican students, her students always had burns on their hands. They told her how they made tortillas before school to help their mother's.

I also see the Mexican families are all about family. No question about it. All the family members are together most of the time. It was a big thing for all the Mexican men to gather after dinner and especially on the weekends to party through the nights.

Very interesting information.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Without being a spoiler let me just say I'm pleased with the result of this week's NFNS. I'm surprised that it was done, though. I thought Michael looked very different - wonder what happened to him after he left Miami?

I couldn't watch the show that was on afterward about food in Mexico. I tried to stick with it but I was grossed out. If Mexican families in Chicago are typical, all about family is exactly right. The generations are together and I like that about Mexican families here in Chicagoland.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I have to say it looks like a dead heat with Melissa and Jeffrey. I just can't decide who I think will win.

Any guesses?

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    I have to say it looks like a dead heat with Melissa and Jeffrey. I just can't decide who I think will win.

Any guesses?
    Melissa,

They want to cement the woman/homemaker viewers.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Melissa,

They want to cement the woman/homemaker viewers.

Are there that many stay-at-home moms these days?

I'm hoping everyone has seen the show by now. I was thinking Jeffrey had it in the bag up until they called Melissa's name. I honestly thought they would call it a tie at some point.

Melissa seems to have endless energy. Her girls are adorable and so young!! Best wishes to her. I hope she's able to pull it off and still be a great mom.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I'm hoping everyone has seen the show by now. I was thinking Jeffrey had it in the bag up until they called Melissa's name. I honestly thought they would call it a tie at some point.

Melissa seems to have endless energy. Her girls are adorable and so young!! Best wishes to her. I hope she's able to pull it off and still be a great mom.
    I can't wait to see what she cooks. I need some new recipes! I thought they might call it a tie as well. I really liked Jeffrey too.

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    Are there that many stay-at-home moms these days?
    They are all hidden in the house, I can't tell!

------------------------

She came in with a 'plan' for her show.

I knew she would win when I saw a clip of AB talking to the guy and asking him to explain his 'cooking w/o borders' type of show/cooking.

They talk about the contestants not being original - when you can use keywords like "butter, mango salsa, yum-o, and cocktail time!" to ID the cooks on the network - I think that they have become way past the point of being predictable.

The life span of most of the cooks on the TVFN depends on how they can reinvent themselves when they get boring.

Lately, it's been inviting family to cook with the host or having them go 'on the road'.

I wouldn't mind the programs where they actually get out and show you where the food comes from, how it's grown or ????

It's the talent - and endless bowls of Yum-o mango salsa that make me gag.

I thought Jeffrey had it, too! I'm surprised! I'll watch her show - unless it's on at the same time Aaron's was last summer (12:30 noon on Sundays when I was on my way home from church).

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

I was wondering last night why they stick the new shows on Sunday at 1:30(EST). Are there that many people actually at home watching FN at that time? It seems senseless. I say, put them on in a decent time slot and give them a chance.

Amy Findlay might have made it if they would have made her more accessible.

I think FN has been most successful with the more educational shows. I really enjoy them. It would be interesting to see more about where they grow the food. That show with Sunny Anderson, "How Did That Get On My Plate?' was something like that but it was short lived. I think it died because they spent too much doggone time on one subject.

The new show, "Best Thing I Ever Ate". What are the chances that any of us will every get to try those dishes? Is that why they're showing us all the delicious things available across the country? Because we'll never get to go there?

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I was wondering last night why they stick the new shows on Sunday at 1:30(EST). Are there that many people actually at home watching FN at that time? It seems senseless. I say, put them on in a decent time slot and give them a chance.

Amy Findlay might have made it if they would have made her more accessible.

I think FN has been most successful with the more educational shows. I really enjoy them. It would be interesting to see more about where they grow the food. That show with Sunny Anderson, "How Did That Get On My Plate?' was something like that but it was short lived. I think it died because they spent too much doggone time on one subject.

The new show, "Best Thing I Ever Ate". What are the chances that any of us will every get to try those dishes? Is that why they're showing us all the delicious things available across the country? Because we'll never get to go there?
    Duff Goldman picked Chicago's own Gino's East pizza! I've been there! But I"ll probably never get to New York to try the one with the thin cracker crust.

I was torn on the decision between Melissa and Jeffrey and knew I would be happy with either as a winner, as long as it wasn't Katie, Debbie or Michael. LOL!! Or any of the others.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Duff Goldman picked Chicago's own Gino's East pizza! I've been there! But I"ll probably never get to New York to try the one with the thin cracker crust.
    That's cool, Elyse. How was the pizza? I'm afraid I've never had any kind fo pizza but the national chains. I am missing alot I think.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

That's cool, Elyse. How was the pizza? I'm afraid I've never had any kind fo pizza but the national chains. I am missing alot I think.
    Good food is found everywhere!

You just have to keep your eye out and take a few chances.

Sometimes a trip to the nearest "Little" area of your town is a good thing!

----------

Now, why would they make Melissa do 10 dollar meals?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Good food is found everywhere!

You just have to keep your eye out and take a few chances.

Sometimes a trip to the nearest "Little" area of your town is a good thing!

----------

Now, why would they make Melissa do 10 dollar meals?
    You're so right, Richard!! I just need to get out more and pay attention to what I'm seeing.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!