Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

The next food star will be Debbie.

TVFN is desperate to tap the 'Asian Flavor' market. It's only obvious.
    They would have crucified anyone else for leaving out an ingredient and they
    gave that gal a freebie.

---------------------

BF had the nerve to critique the guy for cooking TexMex all the time?

Ancho chile powder, chipotle and mango salsa. What else is new?

That is one of the funniest things I heard all night.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    The next food star will be Debbie.

TVFN is desperate to tap the 'Asian Flavor' market. It's only obvious.
    They would have crucified anyone else for leaving out an ingredient and they
    gave that gal a freebie.

---------------------

BF had the nerve to critique the guy for cooking TexMex all the time?

Ancho chile powder, chipotle and mango salsa. What else is new?

That is one of the funniest things I heard all night.
    I thought for sure Debbie would be out after that mistake! I never really thought about the Asian thing. You may be right. I really like Jamika although she has had her problems. Who would you choose?

HL,

Watch the next FNS when it starts again, I saw they are taking applications for the next round, you will see the same 'recipe' for contestants.

The first winner was Guy.
    The second one was the crazy bistro lady.
    Aaron McCargo won # three!
    This one has to be Debbie.

For nothing else but to show the percieved need for "international cuisine".

Ratings is the name of the game in TV. So the networks look at the demographics and how to tap into that market. There are a few Asian cooks, Ming Tsai, Tommy Tang and Martin Yan who would be great for the network-I remember Tsai being part of the FN lineup years ago- By holding a "competition", they can get a cheaper version with a game show thrown in.

The winning talent gets a short term contract - I think it was six shows? The total number of shows for both projects is 16.

When you tune into PBS you see the chefs there hawking their cooking CDs and there are about 30 shows in each series? The PBS shows are produced with almost no commericials and the sets are pretty bland. But they teach you how to cook and the personalities are somewhat kept in check.

The NFNS is bearable when you stop thinking about all the politics and stupidity.

I was laughing at the studio challenge- if anything happened on the set, the floor person yells "CUT" and they do it over. Why make the person panic by handicapping them during a screen test?

What was the purpose giving the cooks a chance to pick out their recipe/food then changing it?

I have never seen any chef on the channel stop in the middle of a show and say, "I don't have the ingredients to continue, so I am changing the menu!"

We'll see about Debbie.

I wasn't surprised that Jamika was ousted - she kept doing exactly what they told her NOT to do, forgetting to smile and be pleasant even when stressed. That's kinda a big requirement for a TV host, doncha think?

I do think it will be either Debbie or Melissa, as both have a specific target market they will appear to, and Melissa has gotten better at controlling her reaction to stress, where Jamika got worse.

I think whatshisname - had to go look it up, I can picture him, but couldn't remember his name - it's Jeffrey - doesn't seem to have any identifiable "hook" or reason why you'd watch his show. He's perfectly nice ... but not, at least for me, that memorable. In one episode, he talked about how international his house is - he's Lebanese, his wife is from somewhere else - but he never seems to bring that multicultural influence to his food or his presentation.
    I've Been Frosted

Did anyone else find it strange that Michael and Jamika started out being so bubbly and outgoing and suddenly, both of them changed and got kicked off?

To me, it seems hard to believe that a person would start a show like that with everything it would take to win and change all of that later.

Jamika kept talking about knowing what she should do and she continuously did the opposite.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I think they get tired, and more stressed, and it just wears them out. It seems emotionally exhausting, and some handle that better than others.
    I've Been Frosted

I'm irked with this week's outcome. Debbie has behaved badly two weeks in a row and the judges have given her a pass both weeks. I thought she was gone for sure when she told BF that the capers were in the dressing. I'm rooting for Jeffrey.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

But I saw a program I LOVED yesterday! It was "Dinner Impossible" and they were doing a dinner party for Will Shortz and crossword puzzle enthusiasts (okay, I'll say it because I am one - word geeks). I love Will Shortz' clever puzzles, I listen to the NPR Weekend Edition Sunday puzzle on my way to church each week, and I love to eat! perfect combo!!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I don't want to spoil it for anybody so I won't say anything about NFNS until tomorrow.

I will say to Richard: Dude, I sure hope you're watching FN tonight for all the Mexican stuff after NFNS. I have alot of questions for tomorrow.

Elyse, I saw that Dinner Impossible show too. It was really cute.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    I don't want to spoil it for anybody so I won't say anything about NFNS until tomorrow.

I will say to Richard: Dude, I sure hope you're watching FN tonight for all the Mexican stuff after NFNS. I have alot of questions for tomorrow.

Elyse, I saw that Dinner Impossible show too. It was really cute.
    I will wait for the question and answer period tomorrow..

It's not pinales, diapers are panales!

And the "hormigos en los pantalones" means "Ow, that effing hurt!".... It's hormigas!!!!!

I'm glad I don't know much Spanish! And I was very happy when they made their decision tonight, although I have to admit that I thought Jeffrey was gone. Makes me want to go post over at the Food Network message board because all the know it alls there were convinced that Debbie had already won. LOL!

CM,

Oh, you have to check out the WHOLE story about "DI".

We talked about it in this thread....It's funny, sad and weird at the same time! The host, Robert Irvine, began the series, he was busted for 'lying' on his resume, then left the show.

They did one season with Micheal Symon as host-the program really stunk-then brought back Irvine this past year!

D&D,

I had never heard of garbanzos in menudo.

The shrimp cakes in the red sauce and cactus are called "tortas de camaron"
    -the ant caviar is waaaay optional-and are a staple during the religious observance of Lent.

http://www.recipesource.com/ethnic/a...5/rec0561.html

This was the easiest recipe I found-I saw another that was way more complicated -

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=...ters)%20mexico

I had to laugh- when you look for a recipe, go with the simpler version, most
    intricate versions are the "gourmet" variations that people think up.

You have to watch out if you do decide to try them, the can be ungodly salty. Some people prefer them that way...

Dried shrimp is very salty and some cooks -if they make the dish often- don't taste the dish, they just cook it up and take the chance!

-----------------

The taco stand segment really sucked.

I sat here drooling all over myself. I haven't had a good taco for a while.

Tacos de cabeza are the best.

From a cow head you get......Tongue, cheeks, eyes, and brain.

I won't do eyes but love the 'buche" and "sesos" tacos.

-------------------------

I once had a bad experience with brain tacos, with the mad cow thing, it made it worse, but brains and cheeks are really good.

The program itself?

I loved the way that they put a spelling of the dishes on screen, I found Corwin to be a little rude and abrasive at times? He said some things that made me wince-you don't go into anyone's home and crack jokes about the food, prep or atmosphere. He ground on me a little when he started to do the
    'wacky gringo TV show host' bit.

The women at the markets and cooking were the real thing.

You will see these women at the store in their aprons, shopping. Follow them home to get the best Mex food......especially tortillas!

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    I'm glad I don't know much Spanish! And I was very happy when they made their decision tonight, although I have to admit that I thought Jeffrey was gone. Makes me want to go post over at the Food Network message board because all the know it alls there were convinced that Debbie had already won. LOL!
    I was happy as well - how many times did they tell her to use more spice, make her food more flavorful? If she had stayed, I would have lost faith in the whole thing ... she may get a show anyway, time will tell! I have seen commercials for Adam Gertler - who didn't win season - and his "will work for food" show. (He annoyed me, I don't watch it.) And on Bravo, the contestant Tabatha, who didn't win that season's "Shear Genius" got her own show - and a TV show isn't even part of the Shear Genius contest!
    I've Been Frosted

I can't hide the fact that I was surprised when Deb was eliminated. I thought she was already chosen to win. Maybe that's what they wanted us to think. I think choosing between Jeffrey and Melissa will be really hard. I expect to see Deb in another FN show.

I remember the contestant that won a couple of years ago and never returned after her first episodes. Amy Findley, I think, was her name. Melissa sorta, in a very small way, reminds me of her. It would be difficult for me to try to do a tv show on FN and have 4 kids at home. I'm guessing that Jeffrey will win.

Richard::::What a Mexican education we got last night on the FN!!! WOW!!!
    I was blown away by all the things I saw. I never realized that the Mexican culture included so many "unusual" food items. Are those insect items delicacies, for the most part, or normal cuisine in Mexico? The nest on the wall was unbelievable. I also couldn't believe how many ant bites those guys must have been getting while hunting for the eggs.

I almost barfed with the cow head segment. Actually, I almost barfed in several of the segments. Not so much what they were eating but listening to Corwin describe what he was eating. He kinda surprised me in the fact that he seemed to like everything but the cactus paddles.

I thought Corwin was trying to be a comedian and not really respecting the Mexican people as much as he should have. He had to be the center of attention.

I also thought it was great when they put the words on the screen. I couldn't understand anything they were saying.

It was fascinating to see the Mexican people in their homes, doing what they normally do every day. I can see why they appreciate America so much. They are incredibly poor but proud people.

Do they eat tortillas with every meal? Flour or corn? I saw them put everything in tortillas. Do they make all they'll need for the day and night in the morning? Those women must wake up long before dawn every day to start cooking.

What were the black sooty things on the ears of corn? Have you ever eaten that, Richard? Corwin called it "black pus". OMG!! I almost lost it.

Do the Mexican people grow all their own vegetables and fruits?

I was surprised to see the garbanzo beans in the menudo. I didn't remember ever seeing that either. Of course, I've only seen menudo a few times. It always looks delicious. Why do they choose to use tripe in it?

I was amazed at the alcohol they make. I know tequila is made from the agave. It was awesome to see the older gentleman extracting the liquid from the plant. I wondered if the older matriarchs normally drink a few shots while they're cooking, no matter what time of day it is. Was that a custom or just done for the show? I can hardly see them being pretentious for any reason though.
    Richard, have you ever had mescale(spelling?)?

After that show, we had the throwdowns with Spanish fare. Fish tacos and puffy tacos. It was a Mexican night!! I really enjoyed it.

I'm sure I have more questions that will come up later.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    Richard, have you ever had mescale(spelling?)?
    Mezcal?

What do they say about the 60's? If you remember, you weren't there?

If I said I remembered, I only took a sip.

Pulque is trippy, it's like non-alcoholic beer, I haven't had any in years, altho I do have two agave plants in the yard! Most of the old men in the culture are some of the best people you will ever see. I think they are pickled-that is why they last so long-You can go into those small towns and see a group of men-60 to 80-sharing a table. The women on the other hand? I think the drink was just manners, none of the women in the family were drinkers.

The sound of glass clinking and smoke billowing tell you that there is a lot of living to be done!

I had an uncle who could roll a ciggie with one hand-had he lived any closer we would have killed him-How many ciggies could he have smoked in a day?

--------

No, not all Mexicans don't eat paper wasps off the wall. The strange stuff, like chapulins are staples in the really rural, poor areas. It's like delivery or shopping......the food is there, you just have to get off the couch and go shopping. Quite a few people have veggie gardens and slaughter their own meat.

Corwin is a food wussy.

Brain tacos are creamy and tasty....But, if you already have an idea that you do not like that food, you will give it a 'blah' review.

----------

CORN SMUT!

No, never had it. It's a fungus, like truffles or mushrooms. I'd give it a whirl-no 'caviar'!

Tortillas...

Every meal.

The cook wakes up early.

Their was the old line in a commercial about joining the Armed Forces-
    something like "soldiers do more before breakfast than some people do all day". These women will probably cook 90-95% of the weeks meal's. So they do more cooking in two days than most of us do in a week.

Tortillas are a bit daunting when I try to make them.....An old Mex woman
    can look at a pile of masa/dough and the tortillas make themselves....

Almost.