Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    I also agree that the right person was sent home. She is a sweetheart but doesn't have much appeal on camera.

I think it's going to be a very hard decision to choose from the people that are left. All of them have something special. I hear about many people loving Debbie.

Richard, Now that I look at the Chairman, he really looks familiar. Alton Brown stays pretty quiet(acts intimidated) around everybody. He seems like a dynamic personality but I think it's a front.
    Aarrgh! I disagree with the decision, but that's just on the basis of what I saw this week. I also missed the first part of the challenge so I'll try to catch it Thursday night when it's on again.

Did anyone see "Iron Chef America" where the food item was bananas and plantains? Who won? I wanted the cameras to show more of them working with the plantains because I've read they are very nutritious. Alton Brown said you can use them like a starch.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I won't do a spoiler, but I sure will be interested in hearing what you guys thought about tonight's Next Food Network Star. I felt that the decision was tough and I was ok with who they sent home, but I sure had one that I would have rather seen leave. Perhaps that person, the whiner, will be next. LOL!!!

NFNS?

Do not believe anything you see on the airwaves.

When the blonde came out and explained her "Pollo ala Plancha" I laughed.

Chicken on a plank? Go home stupid.

A short lesson?

A plancha is an iron, to use to iron clothes. to planchar is 'to iron' in espanol! Pollo ala plancha is grilled/griddled chicked. Women would take steel blocks-shaped like the irons you see today-and heat them on stoves in order to iron clothes.

The iron had a stand that was placed on the griddle to heat it up. The iron was placed on the stand, heated and used.

The griddle under the iron stand was used to cook chicken, hence the pollo a la plancha reference!

So forget everything you heard!

I have to hate on Booby Flay. This guy is a moron, the ultimate in cooks who 'think they are bigger than the rest'-I have to laugh about something else.

He made a comment about the Asian woman, something like, "I was hoping her Asian flavor would come through". So every one with an ethnic backgound has to produce something that reflects their skin color, features, background?

Again, I think that they are just looking for the next "Ethnic Food Star".

That said?

There is a definite slant to who they want to keep on the show.

The whiner stayed on, while the guy with the wild hair, tattoos and big mouth got booted.
    Who needs two GFs?

I have to laugh at the way people translate a food/idea.
    Last edited by RICHARD; 07-13-2009 at 06:52 AM.

Did you hear that guy Michael during the party? He was driving me crazy, so loud and silly. I was glad to see him go. But, I wish Debbie had gotten the boot, too. She is sneaky and I don't see anything in her that would make me want to watch her on her own show. I guess they kept her because they liked her food.

The next ethnic food star is exactly what I was thinking. I remember Debbie messing something up on the first show and they've let her stay, singing her praises most of the time. How many more snafus is she going to be allowed? Hmmmm........

Michael was driving me crazy last night too. "Who loves you?"--over and over and over. I was thinking how many times he must have done that altogether. Those guests must have thought he was so annoying. I really thought he might stay and Debbie would go for about a minute. They need Debbie~~

BF said he was hoping for some of her Korean flavors but didn't he just say last week that she mentioned the Korean thing too much?? I can't keep up with these people.

Melissa and her Spanish food::::OMG!! Since when does she have this strong Spanish background? She lived in a Spanish speaking house? Maybe she's going to win and they needed another twist for her to look good? Bob T. seems to be nuts over her so maybe she will win.

Richard, I didn't understand anything she was saying, she was talking so fast. You've got a good ear to hear her words. It's comical to hear what you said about her.

Every time I see this show, I wonder how long it takes them to orchestrate the entire thing.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Logan View Post
    I won't do a spoiler, but I sure will be interested in hearing what you guys thought about tonight's Next Food Network Star. I felt that the decision was tough and I was ok with who they sent home, but I sure had one that I would have rather seen leave. Perhaps that person, the whiner, will be next. LOL!!!
    I thought it was about time for that person to go. There was one large obstacle that person couldn't seem to overcome - and it kept being mentioned again and again. Finally it got to the point where they couldn't avoid it.

I feel like Melissa has been kept week after week because she is so much like last season's Kelsey. Debbie has been kept because she offers a POV that the FN doesn't already have represented. The others I'm not sure about. Michael - they already have Guy Fieri; Jamika - they have the Neelys and Aaron; and jeffrey - he just rubs me the wrong way. He behaved badly with Jamika last week on Rachael Ray's show and this week I thought he failed to step up to the leadership role when he needed to.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 07-18-2009 at 07:22 PM.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

http://tv.msn.com/best-and-worst-tra...s=420278&mpc=1

I caught this article on the MSN site......The Best and Worst travel shows?

Two of the worst?

"Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives" (Food Network)
    This isn't a terrible show, but it earns a place on our Worst list by failing to live up to its compelling premise. We love the idea of a food travel show where a guy drives around in a '67 Camaro spotlighting the best greasy spoons across the country, but did the guy have to be Guy Fieri? Fieri, the winner of Season 2 of "The Next Food Network Star," is about as bland as they come and offers no real insights into the food or culture of these retro dining establishments. When the most interesting part of your personality is your spiky bleach-blond hair, it's time to relinquish your hosting duties.

"$40 a Day" (Food Network)
    The Food Network's inexplicable superstar, Rachael Ray, cut her teeth in this show that challenged her to visit different cities with only $40 a day to spend on food. Offering tips to budget-conscious travelers is a noble goal, but everything about this show rings false. The production crew takes over a restaurant that's obviously been researched in advance, then expects us to believe that Rachael just popped in for a casual meal. What's worse, Ray has the gall to tell an underpaid waiter that she can only afford a 15 percent tip because she's on a budget. This show also has the distinction of introducing the world to the insipid catchphrase, "Yum-O!"

Anthony Bourdain, who's show was picked as one of the best, has often ragged about RR and other people on the TVFN as not being chefs. Fair enough, But AB has been cruel to RR by bringing up her non-tipping ways.

If RR can't afford a good tip, who can? I think she has more money than she knows what to do with.

I do get tired of her calling her dishes figure friendly when some of them aren't at all.

I love the description of both of those shows. Really good and spot on for sure. GF, I never thought of as bland but he doesn't teach us much of anything on that show. He just tries to be cute and see how much food he can eat in one episode. I have learned some things from the people he visits.

I just watched tonight's new episode of Chopped. The judges were so critical of all the chefs. I was hoping they would say something nice to one of them. All three of them maxed out the arrogance meter. I honestly thought they were praising the chefs and then they blasted each one of them.
    Arrogance is a requirement for a judging position on the FN.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I like Anthony Bourdain's shows. He gives a real flavor of the culture, with some of his own "spice" thrown in. He can be very blunt, though!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    I like Anthony Bourdain's shows. He gives a real flavor of the culture, with some of his own "spice" thrown in. He can be very blunt, though!
    But, that's part of the fun of being AB!

TVFN makes the travel/cooking shows seem like a clinical experience. (What do they do with the blooper reels?) The trade off of having RR sit in your place for hours trying to get a shot perfect and getting people in from the free publicity may be mininal?

D&D,
    To me a 'figure friendly' dish is something I don't spill on myself.

Next fn star - spoiler alert

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I thought it was about time for that person to go. There was one large obstacle that person couldn't seem to overcome - and it kept being mentioned again and again. Finally it got to the point where they couldn't avoid it.

I feel like Melissa has been kept week after week because she is so much like last season's Kelsey. Debbie has been kept because she offers a POV that the FN doesn't already have represented. The others I'm not sure about. Michael - they already have Guy Fieri; Jamika - they have the Neelys and Aaron; and jeffrey - he just rubs me the wrong way. He behaved badly with Jamika last week on Rachael Ray's show and this week I thought he failed to step up to the leadership role when he needed to.
    Can I be the spoiler now, since the reruns aired last night? Michael, how many times can you say you don't like the camera before you get bumped? That's kind of a h-u-g-e problem. But I thought Debbie failed as the expediter at the party. She just lucked out because the committee liked her dishes better than anyone else's. I thought there were several occasions when Jeffrey needed to take charge - when the menu was being planned and getting more and more complicated; when he knew each individual could not exceed $300 at the grocery store or they'd be over budget; and when the food was just not making it out of the kitchen, he was schmoozing with the party guests. But he made it through another week anyway. We'll see what happens this week. I predict that Debbie will be one of the final two because the committee seems to like her.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 07-18-2009 at 07:21 PM.

CM,

"SPOILING" things on the food channel thread may not be a good idea?

I caught a little BF on the tube this week.

He was cooking fish on the grill-a nice Weber model-and he dropped the lid on the floor three times.

He didn't place it on the floor, he dropped it from about 3-4 inches off the ground, you could hear it clatter......

Just like at the Iron Chef challenge when he jumped on the table...This dude is a moron.

Oh, I forgot some of my other complaints!

I sent the FN an email about BF and the BBQ lid. My standards aren't that great, but I draw the line at plopping something like that on the ground and using it to cover the grill.

The Delicioso woman is a a shrimp-I saw her on a Mex program cooking with someone and I thought she looked kind small- any way, I looked it up and she's around 5 foot one or two.

The other hispanic lady - Daisy -was cooking with her SO and they were cooking food that reminded them of their vacations or some part of their lives. They kept talking about the dishes and kept slipping into Spanish...I don't care or mind, but thought it was very weird and rude maybe?

I don't see the reason for bringing 'family' on the programs. It's irritating to me.

-------------

And what is the deal with lemons and limes on this channel?

I hear them always say that limes aren't that juicy and the have problems with lemons and seeds...

I pull out my citrus squeezer and let 'er rip! Why are the cooks on TVFN so 'stone age'?

I pull out my citrus squeezer and let 'er rip! Why are the cooks on TVFN so 'stone age'? [end of RICHARD quote]

Instead of those cooks being stone age........Richard, you are clearly cutting edge.

I'm exactly 5' 1" How tall are you, Richard? I've seen some pics of you and you look really tall. We "shrimps" can't help it.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    I pull out my citrus squeezer and let 'er rip! Why are the cooks on TVFN so 'stone age'? [end of RICHARD quote]

Instead of those cooks being stone age........Richard, you are clearly cutting edge.

I'm exactly 5' 1" How tall are you, Richard? I've seen some pics of you and you look really tall. We "shrimps" can't help it.
    Tall enough to see over the counter?

-----------------------

Remember,

TVFN is on tonight. Can hardly wait!