Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

I could not watch it to the end.

So, I do not know who got bounced!

Alex G has to have some kind of weird vibe going on......She looks like she was on a real bender and just showed up on a whim...the rest were uninspired and boh-ring!!!!! I had to laugh at DG talking to the people about serving him cake. Everyone knows that if it's not a Charm City Cake, it ain't poop!

Let them eat cake?

Like last year, Giada don't do 'spunky', Morimoto is understandable-the captioning is unnecessary, I am starting to really dig Anne Burrell-LOL, it's the freaking hair, it's always perfect. I found AB's comments about watching the contestant's show and being all wired up really funny...she don't watch her self on TV?

I got to the point in the show where the BF was roaming thru the kitchen doing a "tom collichio" and checking out the recipes, Ya think he wanted to get paid more to do that?

I tuned out when the judges started with the "GO BIG/Big personality" speeches. They'll be asking them to tone it down later on.

I'll watch the rerun an write a more 'cutting' review later on?

-----------------------------

DUDE,

I just saw a blurb about Kelsey from NFNS has a show with Spike from Top Chef. It's on the FN website - I think it's a web show...

I forgot to mention Anne Burrell. I absolutely love her!! Her hair is the best. That's the hair I want. She looked great last night too.

Alex Groanacelli.......Aye yi yi! Who does she think she is? I don't care if it was her restaurant. Maybe the facility wasn't that great. Anyway, who was talking "smack" about "her restaurant? It was all too theatrical. Alex seemed to have possibly had her meds last night.

I think Booby Flake is trying to take over the network from GF.

The nutritionist wasn't very creative. Although, I loved the first picture of the salad she made. I just roasted some beets over the weekend for the first time. They were beyond delicious!! Her salad wasn't bad but too easy.

The gal that went home--uh oh.....I'll save this until Richard sees the show.

Richard, have you ever heard of the BLAST bowl in CA? All new to me. Interesting and I thought it would be tasty. The FN people said all they could taste was bacon. I guess the chef failed to season the rest of it.

DG and the cake. Puh....leasseeeee. I can't believe how arrogant he was acting. Or, maybe that's just his way of trying to be funny.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post

Richard, have you ever heard of the BLAST bowl in CA? All new to me. Interesting and I thought it would be tasty. The FN people said all they could taste was bacon. I guess the chef failed to season the rest of it.
    NOOOOOOOOO, I absolutely find the Cal Fusion styles of food to be ridiculous.

Some bobo hollows out a tomato and it's a 'new wave' food sensation? There is an elitist ideal that goes on here in Lost Angeles.

Quarter a tomato,seed it, chop up some lettuce and bacon, then serve it as a some 'deconstructed' comfort food staple?

I noticed that it was touted as a B.L.A.S.T. bowl?

I thought it was C.R.A.P.

Can't Really APpreciate it?

LIke the grilled lettuce, everyone has a idea as to what belongs on a grill,
    Because we live in an area that promotes grilling almost year round....

In the Land Of The Easily Amused, there is only so much to the standard BBQ fare. The "creative" ones get ideas and that is why you see grilled lettuce.

I apologize on their behalf.

Grilled lettuce? Ild probably punch the chef in the throat for serving me that.

And I plan on grilling a pizza soon.

Its to bad Squeeze Bacon was a hoax.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Grilled lettuce? Ild probably punch the chef in the throat for serving me that.

Do it after you eat-not before you order. Remember, never get the cook mad BEFORE they make your meal!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Do it after you eat-not before you order. Remember, never get the cook mad BEFORE they make your meal!
    Ever seen the movie "Waiting"?

I used to deliver pizzas, rule #1 is never piss off the person who handles your food.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

Some bobo hollows out a tomato and it's a 'new wave' food sensation? There is an elitist ideal that goes on here in Lost Angeles.

Quarter a tomato,seed it, chop up some lettuce and bacon, then serve it as a some 'deconstructed' comfort food staple?

I noticed that it was touted as a B.L.A.S.T. bowl?

I thought it was C.R.A.P.

Can't Really APpreciate it?

LIke the grilled lettuce, everyone has a idea as to what belongs on a grill,
    Because we live in an area that promotes grilling almost year round....

In the Land Of The Easily Amused, there is only so much to the standard BBQ fare. The "creative" ones get ideas and that is why you see grilled lettuce.

I apologize on their behalf.
    C.R.A.P. is hilarious!! I figured it was standard CA cuisine. I'm glad I asked.

I see the grilled lettuce on other shows but I can not imagine that it's good at all.

We grill year round here too but I don't think I ever heard of the lettuce thing at all in Florida.
    Booby Flake is into grilling anything and everything. It makes no difference what it is. As long as it's grilled and filled with chilies, he's fine with that.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

We grill year round here too but I don't think I ever heard of the lettuce thing at all in Florida.

Tell me you haven't taken a sip of beer and thought about grilling cantaloupe?

Ewww!

There is quite a bit of food that makes me wonder about what prompted the originator to do it! The grilled lettuce thing is probably a Nor Cal invention. You can go on some nifty winery tours, they will feed you a grilled lettuce at a tasting, You are so drunk you don't realize what you are eating until someone asks,

--------------------------

We have tons of different people and cuisines out here. The Pacific Rim is a wonderful place. (We just have to get N Korea to behave). There are some stores in the 'towns'-China, Korea, Thai-where you have the cooks out on the sidewalk with a smoking BBQ.

The Mexican supermarket up the street pulls out a GIANT BBQ into the parking lot and starts grilling chickens. The grill surface holds about 20-25 whole birds, they also do marinated skirt steak for tacos and burritos.
    When I walk to the store and the wind is right, you can smell it about 2.5 blocks away.

I have to go on about the grilling thing. One of the most special things about So Cal grilling, is that where there is a will......

The huge steel barrel BBQs are VERY popular- You can find one on every block. I have seen people put together some wild contraptions in order to make a grill.

I passed by a GF program where he was doing a seaside party in Mexico. He was 'laughing' at the grill he was using.

In typical Mexican fashion, someone took a steel tire rim, welded some rebar legs onto it and voila! Instant BBQ! It was really cool -I wish I knew how to weld! I have seen everything from a paint can, with holes punched in the sides and a scrap piece of chicken wire for a grill,s to someone taking a steel barrel, splitting it lengthwise and adding a grill made of steel screen door
    material.

I love my heritage. If it holds hot coals?

The other thing that cracks me up is around the summer holidays you see guys with giant BBQs in the bed of their trucks, heading for the park.

They don't mess around with the small stuff!

Back to the grilled lettuce, when you see someone with a 'Cah Lee fuh Nee Ah' accent and they try to pull one over on you by giving you something that we eat out here, do not believe them.

Oh, people do pay 15 dollars for one shrimp, 12 toothpick slivers of mango, two olives and a squirt of Sriracha sauce and swear that it's the best thing on the planet.

They are the ones to blame for grilled lettuce.

LOL at the grilled lettuce!

Andrew Zimmern could not choke down the stinky tofu!

Pineapples are good on the grill. We've done grilled pizza..yummers!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    LOL at the grilled lettuce!

Andrew Zimmern could not choke down the stinky tofu!

Pineapples are good on the grill. We've done grilled pizza..yummers!
    STINKY TOFU!!!!!!

I do want to try BBQ'd artichokes. I saw a recipe where they plopped them on the grill and tossed chili flakes and olive oit on them!

Top Chef Masters?

I didn't much care for the hostess..she irks me in a strange way.

She was at some kind of a press/food gathering here in Hollywood/Lost Angeles last week.

She was walking the area where people were eating and someone noticed that she wasn't tasting anything. When asked she said something like, "If I eat I'll just throw it up".

Nice to know.

--------------------------------

I haven't gone back to watch the first NFNS, I have to catch up!

Richard, what would I do without your stories?

I loved the show in Mexico you mentioned. That grill was really cool.

Yesterday, on "Grill It" with Booby Flake, someone was grilling watermelon. She made a salad out of it with onions and a couple more ingredients. BF loved it. I can go for the grilled melon but she lost me with the onions. Onions are just too savory for me to mix them with fruit. I can't stand to eat chutney because it's usually fruit with onions. Yuck!

I watched NFNS on Sunday but I have forgotten the whole show. I guess I was busy doing other things. I'm sure I can catch a replay of it.

If I accidentally turn the FN on and see GF "Off The Hook" again, I'll probably hurt myself turning the channel. What is with this guy? I'm seriously afraid he's going to blow a gasket if he doesn't calm down.

I watched "Chopped" last night. I think it was the season premier. The ingredients were the worst I've ever seen. What in the world are sea beans? I lived by the ocean most of my life(still do)and I've never heard of them.
    Does anybody know what they are and have you ever eaten them?

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Onions are just too savory for me to mix them with fruit. I can't stand to eat chutney because it's usually fruit with onions. Yuck!

What in the world are sea beans? I lived by the ocean most of my life(still do)and I've never heard of them.
    Does anybody know what they are and have you ever eaten them?
    I love to to talk about food, it's fun to swap stories with other people about what they eat, how they cook and what spices they use!

I hear you about the chutney and onion/fruit combos. Blech.

I know that it is a 'taste' thing....I just do not like the sugary sweetness of some foods. Example? A few years ago my brother was cooking a T-giving day turkey, with oyster stuffing.

I had to get past my gag reflex when I tasted it. It tasted like bread with oysters, raisins and carrots and brown sugar, It was soooooo sweet I had to push it over on the plate so I could taste the rest of my meal.

I can do the apple/berry/walnut/sweet styles of stuffing, but anything that is too sweet just turns me off. I just don't get it.

I was trying to find a reference to the "I'll throw up" story, but I have to check the old newspapers.

http://www.seabean.com/what.htm

Again, it's a catchall-dare I say politically correct?- term for anything that washes up on the beach????

I would have puked over the oyster stuffing too.

Interesting story about the sea bean. That is the only sea bean I've ever heard of in my life. I've seen those on the beaches here. It's been a long long time but I do remember those.

On "Chopped" last night, they must have had the plant that they come from. Very interesting.....
    What they had looked like long, skinny, asparagus. I think I'll research further. Thanks for the link.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Thanks for the link.
    No prob, we all learn here!

--------------

Have you seen the commercial with the Top chef host, Padma in it?

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/marc...rss_topstories

I found it to be a turn off.

While the thought of a nice looking gal eat a hamburger on your front porch is kinda appealing, I don't want her to smell like "secret sauce" or red onion, or wiping her greasy fingers all over my pillows, later on.....

And if she's eating a burger with a bun littered with those little balck poopy seeds, I don't want her to stand up and spill them all over MY FLOOR.

Food is sexy, Spending a few hours with a SO in the kitchen is way better than a sloppy hamburger on some gum encrusted sidewalk.

An old college t-shirt, sweats cut into shorts and a pair of flip flops is my kind of dressing up for dinner.

Seriously, I have seen the commercial about 4 times and I still don't know what kind of hamburger it is.

The only thing I think about is the greasy clump of ketchup soaked meat, dropping off the burger and having to hear the moans and groans all night long...

"OHHH, this is my good dress!", "That will never come out!", Quick get some club soda!" "See what you made me do?"

If you can't pull the spoon out of the pot and hold it for your SO to taste?

It ain't sexy.

--------------------

I have to toss this in.

If I see food on TV, I'll stop there and see "what's cooking" (pun intended)

Today I stopped at the QVC channel when I saw something being cooked.

They were selling tilapia filets-each 3.25 ounces- 14 for $44.95.

I checked the price per pound and it came out to 15 bucks a pound.

I bought a bag of four, gutted tilapia, individually wrapped- I have to check the price per pound and the weight of the packaging- I wrapped them in foil, tossed them on the outer edge of the grill. After they cooked I put them in a plastic bag for later in the week. I steamed veggies and tossed the fish on top for the last 5-7 minutes to heat.

Even thoough it's a spiny fish, it is one of the best eating fish you can have.
    It's white, tasty meat that only needs salt and pepper as seasoning.

I know that boning fish for filets is an art, but I just can't see paying 15 dollars a pound for less than three lbs of fish! Half the fun is puling apart a fish with a fork and a piece of toast.
    Attached Images Attached Images