Page 22 of 54 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

Ina Garten's voice and demeanor grate on my last nerve. She is very pretentious. Didn't she used to work at the White House? I can watch almost any show on FN but I can't watch her for very long.
    I do like some of her recipes though.

Daisy was on again this morning. I really like her alot.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    Ina Garten's voice and demeanor grate on my last nerve. She is very pretentious. Didn't she used to work at the White House? I can watch almost any show on FN but I can't watch her for very long.
    I do like some of her recipes though.

Daisy was on again this morning. I really like her alot.
    I barely watch Food Channel at all often anymore, but I like Ina Garten. errr, not in that way. I mean, I love her recipes and I watch her all the time. I have no clue who Daisy is..

I've heard alot of people say they love Ina Garten. Maybe I just let her bother me too much. I think I got tired of the same old shows all the time. Rerun after rerun. Thank goodness they finally made some new shows for those people that love her.

Daisy was on yesterday morning at 9:30 EST. She is new to FN. I think that was her second show. I think her name is Daisy Martinez.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

The whole 'push' for the cooks on the FC is that they demand more personality and it detracts from the recipes.

I always looked at the food as the star of the programs and the 'talent' as merely guides to the dish.

They do detract from the programs and get annoying very quickly!

Does anyone make these in Mexico? I had them in Spain, they're delicious!! I believe they only make them for Easter.

Panellets de Pinyones

Ingredients:

2 1/4 pounds of raw almonds ( 1 Kg )
    2 1/4 pounds of sugar
    1 box of instant mashed potatoes (dry)
    1 egg
    pine nuts

Mash the almonds. Put in a big bowl the mashed almonds, make a hole in the center and add the sugar to the hole. Prepare the mashed potatoes with 2 glasses of almost boiling water and the contents of the box. Pour it (very hot to mix easily ) on top of the sugar and mix everything together until you get a compact paste. Let it rest until the paste is cold. Form the paste into little balls (about 1 inch diameter), soak them with beaten egg, roll them in the pine nuts until covered. Bake at 375 F, 8-10 minutes. You can change the flavors, adding to the paste shredded coconut, instant coffee, cocoa...

http://www.pasioncondal.com/recipes/panellets.htm

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Does anyone make these in Mexico? I had them in Spain, they're delicious!! I believe they only make them for Easter.

Panellets de Pinyones

Randi,

Wow.......I would have taste them...I'll get the stuff together and try then.I recognized the word PINYONES, In "mexican spanish" they are 'pinones', and I am guessing that 'panellets' would be a cookie?

We so have a type of almond cookie that is made, but I never heard about the potato flakes!

Give me a while and I'll let you know if we have anything close to it!

Thanks!

I have to laugh, I watched the Ultimate Recipe and almost had a meltdown.

Were the cooks tonight a little catty?

What happened to the scores of the first round? 80's? The scoring leave me baffled.

Hot and Spicy are two different things. It's really difficult to do both in the same dish. I love hot and spicy, but not Nuclear and Heartburn.

I have to agree with the judges about naming a food and not keeping true to the origin.

-----------

The lady judge on the left makes me want to strangle her.

IF YOU GET A FACELIFT, CUT YOUR HAIR SO IT DOESN'T hang in your face.
    I really hate to see people at a table with their hair flapping all over their pie holes!

I havent seen the FN in over 7 years. I will take nuclear over heartburn 8 days a week.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I have to laugh, I watched the Ultimate Recipe and almost had a meltdown.

Were the cooks tonight a little catty?

What happened to the scores of the first round? 80's? The scoring leave me baffled.

Hot and Spicy are two different things. It's really difficult to do both in the same dish. I love hot and spicy, but not Nuclear and Heartburn.

I have to agree with the judges about naming a food and not keeping true to the origin.

-----------

The lady judge on the left makes me want to strangle her.
    What was with the contestants minding each other's business so much? I don't remember any other URS when peeps were being so nosy about their neighbor. So busy, in fact, they were having trouble making their own dishes.

I also thought the judges went from "everything is great" to "nothing is great". They seemed really critical last night when I never thought they were before. Especially the lady from Family Circle. She loves everything!!
    The judge in the middle acted like he was having a really bad day.

When the judges said none of the dishes had enough heat, I would have doubled up on the heat in the second round. Give em what they want!

Did anybody see the Neely's yesterday? The one where they made the chicken wings. The rub they made was cayenne pepper, red pepper flakes, black pepper and some other things. They made a sauce out of horseradish, cayenne, and something else.
    I hope they had their guests sign waivers before eating them. FIRE!!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

blue,

Me too, i like nuclear but as you get older you have to pick and choose your menus! Sometimes the recipes on the FN go overboard with the spice.

---------

D&D,

How could I have forgotten the Potato, Egg and Chorizo breakfast?

Dice up some taters and fry them, Take them out of the pan then fry the chorizo, add eggs and scramble-toss the taters back in.

You can eat them on a plate with some salsa or heat up a flour tortilla, scoop some fillng into it, cheese on top, roll it up with salsa on the side.

It's friggin awesome -some peope think that a spicy breakfast like that kills a hangover!

-------------------
    I just made a pan of Reynaldo's "Soya Chorizo".

The ingredients are textured soy protein, water, veg oil, vinegar, paprika, salt red pepper and garlic.

1 to 10 scale? 10 being best?

8!

The taste is almost there-it's the texture thing.

Regular chorizo fries out into a mush as it heats up, The SC crumbles and there is not much fat in the recipe- A good thing!

I skinned the link-I cooked only half because you get twice as much soy sausage than a regular link
    of chorizo. I made some diced fried taters, cooked in bacon fat,then cooked the chorizo, tossed in two eggs, scrambled it all up and added back the potatoes to heat them up and dug in.

No too bad. If you had take abreak from the pork or beef styles because of health/ weight issues, you still can have this as a replacement.

One thing?

Watch your heat and add some oil or fat to chorizo-it cooks quickly and I feel it could burn quickly!
    Last edited by RICHARD; 01-26-2009 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Chorizo review.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post

Panellets de Pinyones

Ingredients:

2 1/4 pounds of raw almonds ( 1 Kg )
    2 1/4 pounds of sugar
    1 box of instant mashed potatoes (dry)
    1 egg
    pine nuts

Mash the almonds. Put in a big bowl the mashed almonds, make a hole in the center and add the sugar to the hole. Prepare the mashed potatoes with 2 glasses of almost boiling water and the contents of the box. Pour it (very hot to mix easily ) on top of the sugar and mix everything together until you get a compact paste. Let it rest until the paste is cold. Form the paste into little balls (about 1 inch diameter), soak them with beaten egg, roll them in the pine nuts until covered. Bake at 375 F, 8-10 minutes. You can change the flavors, adding to the paste shredded coconut, instant coffee, cocoa...

http://www.pasioncondal.com/recipes/panellets.htm
    This reminds me of my friend Mona's cookies she makes that are from Syria. They are like a butter cookie, and have pine nuts on top of them. They are to die for!!! She doesn't put potatoes in them, she puts in farina I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    blue,

Me too, i like nuclear but as you get older you have to pick and choose your menus! Sometimes the recipes on the FN go overboard with the spice.

---------

D&D,

How could I have forgotten the Potato, Egg and Chorizo breakfast?

Dice up some taters and fry them, Take them out of the pan then fry the chorizo, add eggs and scramble-toss the taters back in.

You can eat them on a plate with some salsa or heat up a flour tortilla, scoop some fillng into it, cheese on top, roll it up with salsa on the side.

It's friggin awesome -some peope think that a spicy breakfast like that kills a hangover!

-------------------
    I just made a pan of Reynaldo's "Soya Chorizo".

The ingredients are textured soy protein, water, veg oil, vinegar, paprika, salt red pepper and garlic.

1 to 10 scale? 10 being best?

8!

The taste is almost there-it's the texture thing.

Regular chorizo fries out into a mush as it heats up, The SC crumbles and there is not much fat in the recipe- A good thing!

I skinned the link-I cooked only half because you get twice as much soy sausage than a regular link
    of chorizo. I made some diced fried taters, cooked in bacon fat,then cooked the chorizo, tossed in two eggs, scrambled it all up and added back the potatoes to heat them up and dug in.

No too bad. If you had take abreak from the pork or beef styles because of health/ weight issues, you still can have this as a replacement.

One thing?

Watch your heat and add some oil or fat to chorizo-it cooks quickly and I feel it could burn quickly!
    How cool!!! Today for lunch I had eggs with chorizo and potatoes. It was so delicious. I'll try the salsa the next time.
    Thanks for all the great suggestions!!

I think chorizo would burn easily too. I'm being pretty gentle with it.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I was watching Ask Aida and she made some stuffed potatos with chorizo and topped with cheese the other day. The Chorizo she used had no color to it.
    I think it was spanish styled. Gowd, that rankles me , because people will look at the red chorizo and go, "EW, AIda didn't use THAT!"

Also, I had to laugh at AB making corn tortillas.

Out here you can buy HAND MADE tortillas. In some places you can watch the viejitas(Vee eh hee tahs) little old ladies making the dough and as they stand next to the griddle, they slap each tortilla into shape and cook them as they go....Great theater if you get a chance to see it!

Chorizo with no color has to look pretty gross. I love it's vibrant color. After all, I love everything about it.

I would love to have homemade tortillas available here.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    Chorizo with no color has to look pretty gross. I love it's vibrant color. After all, I love everything about it.

I would love to have homemade tortillas available here.
    DUDE! GO to the recipe thread and I posted about making hand made flour tortillas. If I can do it, you can!

Post 390!

Try it, I am a hack and I was able to make them..keep practicing!
    Last edited by RICHARD; 02-01-2009 at 02:14 PM. Reason: wrong link posted