Page 21 of 54 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    Hmmm....does it affect your cholestrol levels less this way?
    It depends. If you inject the grease into a vein you get the bacon rush faster?

D&D.
    Is this it?
    https://www.wegmans.com/webapp/wcs/s...ProductDisplay

That's more the Spanish style! You can munch on it raw.

I'll get the name brand of the Mexican stuff and if you can get some I'll get you cooking on it!

Turkey bacon? Blasphemy!

Oven bacon shrinks less comes out crispier and I put away half the cooked product. I can see doing a few packages, putting it aside and nuking it to get it hot.

OMG!!!!!!!!! THANKS JENNIE!!!!!!! I'm like a schoolgirl looking at those pictures. He looks fantastic doesn't he?????? I can see the love coming out of his pores. I might pass out.........

Richard, that's exactly the one. It's got a tough outer skin I had to remove but it's delish.

I would love to try the Mexican one. I bet it's great. They make such a big deal out of chorizo on FN, I had to give it a try. I am not dissappointed. I can think of a million things to cook with it.
    Thanks.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    OMG!!!!!!!!! THANKS JENNIE!!!!!!! I'm like a schoolgirl looking at those pictures. He looks fantastic doesn't he?????? I can see the love coming out of his pores. I might pass out.........

Richard, that's exactly the one. It's got a tough outer skin I had to remove but it's delish.

I would love to try the Mexican one. I bet it's great. They make such a big deal out of chorizo on FN, I had to give it a try. I am not dissappointed. I can think of a million things to cook with it.
    Thanks.

JUst walked back from the store and bought a pork and a soy chorizo.

This is the brand I bought of regular chorizo.

http://www.caciqueusa.com/product_detail.asp?id=26

Ready for MORE confusion?

Mexicans call the spanish style of 'chorizo', LONGANIZA (Loh gahn ee zah), they call it chorizo!

I can't believe how vast this chorizo thing is. Now I know how little the FN really knows about it.

The one you bought, Richard....is that one large sausage or do you make patties out of it? I am so chorizo illiterate.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I can't believe how vast this chorizo thing is. Now I know how little the FN really knows about it.

The one you bought, Richard....is that one large sausage or do you make patties out of it? I am so chorizo illiterate.
    Well you MIGHT be able to 'patty it up'!

You usually take the casing off-ALWAYS DO THIS! You could get it in a natural casing once upon a time-now it's plastic.

It crumbles into mush-it's almost like a chili con carne-without the beans!

After you cook it up for about 10-15 minutes you crack a few eggs into it and scramble away. Now, IF you want patties, You could probably add a spoon full of chorizo to a beaten egg and drop it into one of the circular molds that people use to make round eggs?

I have heartburn this morning so I may resort to a oatmeal brekkie....but I will be doing soy chorizo in the next few.

I noticed that for the same price you get twice as much soy chorizo than you do with pork!
    Last edited by RICHARD; 01-21-2009 at 02:37 PM.

Sounds delicious!!! Thanks!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

D&D,

I just noticed that you live in FL!

There should be some Mex stores down there!

Now, If you are really daring? Grab a small jar of cactus and you can have a Mex breakfast like I was used to.

Richard,

We have alot of Mexican stores here. I have to say I've never ventured into one yet.
    There was one at the end of my street on the main drag. They closed after a month. I was bummed because I wanted to go there.

The Mexican people aren't really heavily populated in my town but very heavy, north of me. Many of them are fern cutters in Pierson, the Fern Capital Of The World. I kid you not. That's what they call the town.
    Alot of them are brought in by the wealthy growers to work the fields. It's a fascinating story.

I was lucky to have lots of Mexican kids come into the library where I worked. They were so appreciative and delighted to be there. Polite and kind as they could possibly be.

My sister is a school teacher. Her classes, for the last 5 years, were 60% Mexican kids. That school was about 30 miles north of me. It unfortunately closed last year along with 7 other small schools. My sister was so fortunate to have homemade Mexican food every day. In the cafeteria, and, delicious food brought in by her students Moms. She was in heaven.

I need to get in the car and drive up north and hit one of the stores. I'll let you know when I do. I've heard about the cactus and I've seen it in stores. It's another thing I have no idea how to cook.
    What can you do with cactus?

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I've heard about the cactus and I've seen it in stores. It's another thing I have no idea how to cook.
    What can you do with cactus?
    You don't have to cook the cactus-you can get it canned!

Nopales! They are just like string beans. You can buy them raw and cook them, but you have to de-spine them, chop and then boil.

They make a 'slime' that some people find offensive, just rinse and heat.

Breakfast?

Chorizo, egg, some nopales?

Or you can buy a canned enchilada sauce-has to be red- toss some nopales in and heat it up! serve as a side veggie.

Scrambled eggs and nopales, with some salsa in a flour tortilla? Lunch?

By themselves!

Buy a small jar to get the taste -sabor (sah bore)- and go from there!

Oh and invite your sister over and cook for her!

I have one of Rick Bayless' cookbooks, Mexico, One Plate at a Time. There are some yummers recipes in there. We do Mexican a lot now!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I'm intrigued by the "slime". Is that a big turnoff? Are we talking slime like okra? That doesn't bother me. Cactus is a succulent so I guess it would pretty much reduce to a slimy substance. Hmmmm...... This is so interesting.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I'm intrigued by the "slime". Is that a big turnoff? Are we talking slime like okra? That doesn't bother me. Cactus is a succulent so I guess it would pretty much reduce to a slimy substance. Hmmmm...... This is so interesting.

Yes, Slime like OPRAH!
    DUDE, you are on your way!
    When you go to the store take a pencil and write down what you see and let me know.....I'll try to figure it out!

STE.

LOL, that's another 'man crush' I have. Getting paid to eat Mex?

Get outta here!

We have to have a MEX recipe week! Do you find it hard to get ingredients where you live?

Anthony Munoz, a lineman for the football Bengals found that there were no places to get good tortillas in the midwest when he was playing there. He opened up a mex food place and made money on it, that was years ago!

Will do, Richard.

I made some scalloped potatoes today and crumbled chorizo in them. Delicious!!!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I saw the listing for Daisy Duke this morning and she cooked chorizo.

I was up early and tuned in but feel asleep.

I wish we had a TV in our library at school. I could have been watching Food Network on the days that I went in at 6am.

I'm still shocked that as a "media center" the only media we really have are books and magazines. My cookbook section kicks butt! I've put some major money into it on our book orders during the past 4 years.

On a side note, about Food Network... anyone find Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa, a bit pretentious? Even though some of her food really interests me, she just annoys me.