Page 20 of 54 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

Yes, Richard. Ingrid Hoffman is still on. I really like her. I didn't at first but I do now.

I just went shopping and saw chayote. I think I've seen someone use them on the Booby Flake grill show. They look strange and flavorless.

We're fortunate to have some selection of Mexican products here but I don't know what to do with them. You are a wealth of knowledge, Richard. I really enjoy reading about different things. Thanks.

Daisy is pretty straightforward right now. She's all about cooking and not trying to audition for Broadway.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I really adore Paula Deen. Her accent is so adorable, 'ya'll'. I do agree that she puts butter in everything though.

Guy Fieri, I like him, spiked hair and all. Rachael Ray, she's cool but her laughter is hideous and that smile really makes me scared. LOL!

I hate Giada..she's cute but her head is big enough to be on a bobblehead shelf, her laughter is hideous and I hate the way she 'pronounces' things with her hands. Ina is cool too, I love her show.

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    We're fortunate to have some selection of Mexican products here but I don't know what to do with them. You are a wealth of knowledge, Richard. I really enjoy reading about different things. Thanks.

Hey, don't confuse knowledge with endless trivia.

Mexican cooking is filled with wonderful branches of other cooking.

Example? THe French brought in the french roll, known as the 'bolillo' (Boh lee low) in espanol. The local places make TONS of them around a holiday and that is the go-to bread for fiestas!

The 'torta' (tohr tah) is a sandwich in a bolillo roll- My fave is pork.
    They cook pork -carnitas- until it shreds. Avocado, mayo, some shredded cabbage, pork and some hot sauce?

Really good on a hot day with cold beer!

The spainards brought their chorizo (chore E so) which is more like a cured salami that the chorizo that Mexicans eat!

All in all Mex, food is no different that any other country that has had many visitors, including ours!

---------------

About Daisy? Since she isn't a regular TVFN find- NTVFN star?- and her show is produced with a different production company, she may not have the demands to put on a personality that the rest do. We'll have to see....

I missed CHOPPED this week and the rerun is on in about 20 minutes!!!!

I am stunned!!!

Mex food is usually spicy, fatty and off the charts when it comes to 'healthy food'.

Chorizo is a really spicy sausage made from beef or pork.

It's pretty fatty and you have to drain the grease off of it while you cook it.

I was tripping thru the bacon/sausage section of my local store and was going to pick up some chorizo when I saw-

VEGETARIAN CHORIZO!

I recoiled in shock and walked away in shock, now, you know that I will buy a package of the stuff and report back to you about what it tastes like!

I was too shaken to buy a package, but my curiosity is piqued!

Dude, THIS is going to be fun!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

What the heck is vegetarian chorizo?? I can't wait to hear what it's like. I bought some chorizo yesterday and it's delicious!!

For the record, Richard. Food knowledge and trivia must be on the same level of expertise for me. You really know alot more about food than most people.

Aaron McCargo today was over the top again. I have to send an email to FN about this. They've taken away that wholesome goodness.

I'm still in love with Mr. Pat Neely.

I watched the Ultimate Recipe Challenge tonight. The judge in the middle was in a very arrogant mood tonight wasn't he?
    The lady that made the grapefruit cake had bad luck written all over her. I'm surprised they aired that. After all, she left the leavening out of her cake??? I felt sorry for her all the way around. Poor thing.

Question for anybody that can answer it: what is with Booby Flake and the blue corn meal pancakes? Do people in other parts of the country typically use corn meal in pancakes or is it a BF thing?
    Has anybody had pancakes with corn meal?

Also: Is it possible to make polenta or grits out of regular corn meal. Is grits just a Southern dish? When I lived in Salt Lake City, I asked the Albertson's clerk where the grits were. He said, "Where what is?" He had no idea what grits were.

Ingrid Hoffman was on early this morning, Richard. Simply Delicioso. I like the food she makes almost always.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

What the heck is vegetarian chorizo?? I can't wait to hear what it's like. I bought some chorizo yesterday and it's delicious!!

I watched the Ultimate Recipe Challenge tonight. The judge in the middle was in a very arrogant mood tonight wasn't he?
    The lady that made the grapefruit cake had bad luck written all over her. I'm surprised they aired that. After all, she left the leavening out of her cake??? I felt sorry for her all the way around. Poor thing.

Question for anybody that can answer it: what is with Booby Flake and the blue corn meal pancakes? Do people in other parts of the country typically use corn meal in pancakes or is it a BF thing?
    Has anybody had pancakes with corn meal?

Also: Is it possible to make polenta or grits out of regular corn meal. Is grits just a Southern dish? When I lived in Salt Lake City, I asked the Albertson's clerk where the grits were. He said, "Where what is?" He had no idea what grits were.

Ingrid Hoffman was on early this morning, Richard. Simply Delicioso. I like the food she makes almost always.
    How did you do your chorizo?

LOL, there is a dirty association about what people do with chorizo!

Cook the chorizo, drain the fat and then you can add onions, eggs or nopales (cactus).....the cactus is just like green beans and a wonderful way to finish off the dish. If you do add them to the dish put them in in this order?

Fry your chorizo, drain the fat off, add your cactus, drained, then toss in some eggs and scramble them.

The liquid in the cactus is sometimes slimy, you can rinse or put them out out to drain before you add them to the chorizo!

I know nothing about polenta/grits! That's gringo food?

-------------

The Flake thing might have to do with Tex Mex food. Corn, in the south west is a strange puppy. It's different colors, blue, red, yellow, white! And all those colors can show up on one cob! It's mostly a regional thing and when some cooks discover it, they ALWAYS us it-it's a signature thing and they cannot let go of it!

Veggie chorizo?

I am going to buy some in the next week and cook it.
    I'll post the ingredients and give you a detailed report! LOL, I didn't know where to post the results, the recipe thread or ???

Polenta is made with ordinary cornmeal, as far as I know. Boiled like oatmeal.

Grits are mostly southern. Made of finely ground white corn, boiled also. Hominy is also white corn, just not ground up. I don't like grits, but like to add a bit of hominy to pea soup. Grits are moving into the high class restaurants after being the mainstay of the diets of the very impoverished.

Quote Originally Posted by mruffruff View Post
    Grits are moving into the high class restaurants after being the mainstay of the diets of the very impoverished.
    IN this financial climate I guess it's cool to be poor again?

--------

One Paula Deen acknowledgement, Bacon in the oven is a little more time consuming, but well worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

--------

One Paula Deen acknowledgement, Bacon in the oven is a little more time consuming, but well worth it!

Ever nuke bacon? It's quick and not as messy. Not turkey bacon, though. It morphs into a twig. I don't care for turkey bacon anyhow; it tastes sour to me but I cook it for my son when he visits.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

--------

I think its more to do with the current "Let's focus on Regional Cuisine!" Mind you, we had a North Carolina native who, every year, would cook grits for the Palm Sunday breakfast ... and admitted when I asked what they even tasted like, she said - well, something between cream of wheat and wallpaper paste ... the point is more the butter you put on it" so I was never convinced to try it. I never even ate Cream of Wheat when Ma made it, oatmeal for me, thanks!

We both prefer bacon microwaved, it gets crispy and is not messy if one uses enough paper towel. I cannot imagine being patient enough to bake bacon and get it crispy.
    I've Been Frosted

Hmmm....does it affect your cholestrol levels less this way?

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah

I'm still in love with Mr. Pat Neely.

ditto. He just makes me swoon!!! Those eyes, that smile. He's just so sweet and affectionate (taps her on the butt all the time, lol).

Mrs. Neely... she annoys me, lol.

I use regular corn meal as well for my polenta. If you want white grits, you can buy white corn meal. Hominy comes in cans in the veggie section by the cans of corn. The kind I see around here is a white label with blue writing on it. I had a few people ask me where it was when I worked in the Giant foodstore.

Sidenote... when I was reading the book "SHILOH" to the kids in elementary school, we discussed what they ate, and it talked about fried cornmeal mush. The kids had no idea what that was (we're in Pa, and this was a southern appalachian story). I grew up eating this, as it was cheap and what my mom had eaten as a child as well. You cook up cornmeal to make cornmeal mush, and then refridgerate it over night so that it sets up and you can slice it. You can slice it thick or thin, fry it in oil and serve it with Karo syrup, or table syrup.

I decided to make this for the kids I was reading the story to, and they LOVED it for the most part. It took some time to do, and the frying is messy cause the cornmeal tends to pop and spit when you fry in oil, but the end result is sooooo good, and crunchy and yummy! I took pancake syrup with me, and the kids in each 4th grade class tried it. Only 2 kids out of about 95 didn't try it, but that's not a bad percentage!

I gotta tell you, Richard.....the chorizo I bought was a cheater. It was just a small package of Goya brand, already cooked. I cut some slices and ate it. It was so good. I plan to take the rest and crumble it for scrambled eggs. I bet the fancy stuff is to die for.

Thanks to everybody for answering my questions about corn meal, etc. I've got a bag I bought that I can use now. I can't wait.
    My mother loves cornmeal mush. I've never had it.
    I absolutely love grits to pieces!!!! I grew up on them and I can't get enough. They must have enough salt and butter though.

I am really seeing alot of grits being served these days. Grits does seem to have moved up the social ladder.

Pat Neely can do no wrong, Jennie. He puts me in dream land. What a sweet, thoughtful, caring, compassionate, and incredibly good looking man!!! I really hope Miss Gina really appreciates him.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

We're looking at Pat Neely, not Gina, showing her boobies all over the place, lol!