Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

How about ....

I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

hmmmmm.... a bacon martini??

Karen,

I feel for you. That must be a real chore to read every label.

--------

You can put bacon lip balm on a pig??????

------

The GF GB casserole is way too much work-LOL I love the campbell's GB casserole and can eat that plain all day long! I love it with the golden mushroom soup-By the time you track down all the ingredients and I counted 20? I know that some are repeats, but all that prep work, for me is not worth the hassle.

It's only two I have to worry about and even figuring out a 1/2 recipe is daunting.

We discussed the thing about finding the right ingredients for a recipe. Vidalias are really rare out here and the shallots and mushrooms you'd have to go to an expensive national store and pay a premium price for them.

I looked at shiitake shrooms at a store out here and they were 5.99 a pound. God knows what they cost today!

------

I cannot live without my season salt!

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Karen,

I feel for you. That must be a real chore to read every label.
    It is much, much preferred to the alternative: allergic reactions that range from the life-threatening anaphylactic kind to the 12-16 hours of throwing up kind.

The GF GB casserole is way too much work-LOL I love the campbell's GB casserole and can eat that plain all day long! I love it with the golden mushroom soup-By the time you track down all the ingredients and I counted 20? I know that some are repeats, but all that prep work, for me is not worth the hassle.

It's only two I have to worry about and even figuring out a 1/2 recipe is daunting.

We discussed the thing about finding the right ingredients for a recipe. Vidalias are really rare out here and the shallots and mushrooms you'd have to go to an expensive national store and pay a premium price for them.

I looked at shiitake shrooms at a store out here and they were 5.99 a pound. God knows what they cost today!

------

I have all the ingredients. Numbers of ingredients don't intimidate me in a recipe. The hot oil kind of freaks me out, but other than that, it's not too hard. People let recipes intimidate them when they shouldn't. It's a bunch of prep work, but other than that, not too much work, except for the deep frying of the onions and shallots.

You do what I do. I know that the cashiers at Giant do NOT look at what kind of mushroom you have. They just do "generic" mushrooms.

I got Shitake and Oyster mushrooms tonight for 2.69 and 1.36. They were rung up at 3.49/lb, so......

My vidalias were 2.98 lb.

Shallots were prepackaged, 1.99. Not too bad, but there are only 2 of them. I couldn't find loose shallots at this certain Giant.

I'm getting back at the manager yelling "SHRINK!!!!" at me for the stupid cheese that I didn't leave out of the cold section (the customer did).

I actually DID save $20 in coupons. I was good and searched them all out.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It is much, much preferred to the alternative: allergic reactions that range from the life-threatening anaphylactic kind to the 12-16 hours of throwing up kind.
    I can barely read the labels with glasses on!

Is anyone watching the PBS special with a New York food writer, Mario Batali and some actress?

I have watched this-I know, it's not a TVFN program, but they are touring Spain and eating up the country side!

It's really interesting and the foods are fantastic! The only problem is the actress, who is a vegetarian is a royal PITA.

MB and the writer are always teasing the actress about eating meat when they have a meal and the woman is an absolute idiot-oh, it's Gwenyth Paltrow.
    I am watching it from the standpoint of the food but I cannot stand the idiotic back and forth about veggies versus meat eaters.

Why would some vegetarian agree to do a program on a country rich with a tradition of meat, ham and seafood? The foods are spectacular but the banter and trying to gross out the GP is really stupid and makes it not worth watching when she shows up. MB and GP show up and leave during the episodes that I have seen, so by and part, it watchable.

The series is called Spain on the Road Again.

Gwyneth is annoying to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    Gwyneth is annoying to begin with.
    When I grew up (never) my mom hammered into my head that you never go to the table and complain/make faces or act stupid when you get to a dish/ingredient you don't like.

MB, the writer and GP just went on and on about what they were eating. MB and GP had breakfast and MB is going on about his food....and the fact that it's meat-"you can taste the barn".....GP is making faces and instead of taking the high road, she's making comments about back at him.

People wonder why the PETA/veggie people and regular carnivores don't get along. There is a certain amount of stupidity on both sides. I never liked Batali and found that his attitude toward GP was really nasty and rude. GP gets back at him by making snippy comments about eating meat. Here you have people on a culinary vacation of a lifetime and they are being AHs toward each other because one does and the other doesn't eat meat.

Last week the writer and GP had grilled veggies done up in oil over an open fire. Instead of giving a detailed rundown of what they were eating, they had to have a conversation about how Mario would react to a meal without meat.

I was never a fan of either MB or GP, this just reinforces my feelings toward them.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

it's kinda like when i dated the muslim guy and we disagreed about pork products. I just said that the prophet didn't have proper refrigeration and that's why it's in the Qur'an that you can't have it (so sue me... it was blasphemous).

He would have a fit if I ate bacon, which I love. In the end, that's what I used to get rid of him. "OOOH.. I had this huge smoked turkey BLT from WaWa's.. it was soooooo good!!"

He said eating bacon or pork products for him would be like me eating cat or dog. Not sure about that. I see them as pets, and I don't think they kept them as pets, lol. they also thought dogs were unclean. I said the prophet wasn't a dog person either. Again.. blasphemy.

I had fun annoying him, can you tell??

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian View Post
    He would have a fit if I ate bacon, which I love. In the end, that's what I used to get rid of him. "OOOH.. I had this huge smoked turkey BLT from WaWa's.. it was soooooo good!!"
    INFIDEL!

We would go out to a Mex food place every two weeks with all the gang from work.

We invited a new gal in the office and the next day she came in FUMING because we 'tricked' her into eating pork-she was married to a Muslim- she told us she got sick when she realized that she ate pork and didn't talk to us for about a week.

NO wonder people are hating all over the planet.

They don't appreciate pigs.

I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Wow... that wouldn't last long, lol. I'd have a hard time making it without nibbling on it to begin with, lol!

INFIDEL!

We would go out to a Mex food place every two weeks with all the gang from work.

We invited a new gal in the office and the next day she came in FUMING because we 'tricked' her into eating pork-she was married to a Muslim- she told us she got sick when she realized that she ate pork and didn't talk to us for about a week.

NO wonder people are hating all over the planet.

They don't appreciate pigs.
    Funny story... said ex-boyfriend was a cheapskate and thought he was being really frugal by buying this "sandwich" he saw every day at his school. It was only $1 for 2 of them.

These "sandwiches" were hotdogs, lol!!!

It took him over 6 months to figure out what they were, and then he was so upset, he was sick for about a week.

Just made me crack up even more.

I never saw him eating them, otherwise I would have said what he was eating. I tried to tell him that they do have chicken and turkey dogs now, but he just wasn't interested.

I just looked up the instructions on making the bacon placemat!
    I love the blurb, "eating a whole placemat ain't a good idea!"

Why that's a good college hazing project!

----------------

I wasted a whole hour last night watching GF and his Family Feast program.

What is the program supposed to be? A cooking show? A 'family' show? I have to admit that I was more curious about his family. LOL, dad is taller than he is.
    He looks like his sister and mom. I took it that the sis was a veggie...

I always wonder about that - GF kept up with the "we are eating seafood, you are eating granola!" WHY even bother having her come up on stage?
    I have had my share of meals where I didn't care for the food or an ingredient, but I ate anyway. Some effing veggies act like they are going to die if they even touch meat-I know there are people who will get ill if they come in contact with some food/products-but I find them less hostile and calmer when they come across the subject. Some 'by choice' veggies are rude and try to make you feel guilty for eating meat. GF's sis looked like she was biting her tongue about it.

THe show was really bad, there was no cooking, as far as giving out a recipe and the eating at the end was kinda rude too, I know he fed the audience, but it looked like sandwiches-not the food he cooked.

The other thing that make me laugh is the spinning utensils trick he does with the platters.
    I may have to bill the TVFN for my lost time? Ya think?