Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Daddy View Post
    Yikes! Was that his wife and son standing next to him when he gave the command to start engines.
    It probably was.

You know.....I didn't even notice them, I was blown away by Nicky Blonsky and her singing the Nat'l. Anthem- She was very good!

----------

Why would you go into a cooking contest with little or no experience with seafood?

I knew a gal I worked with that would not touch raw hamburgers-that used to make me laugh- but the fish thing with Nipa was hilarious.

I just saw "secrets of a chef" or whatever that train wreck was.

I think the gal who stars in the show is one of the sous chefs on the Iron Chef shows.

I wasn't impressed.

She had Fieri's hair, Giada's charm, RR's getting-the-plane-to-the-terminal hand shakes and Aloton Brown's charm.

At one point she referred to the food at the bottom of pan that she browned as CRUD.

No wonder they are looking for the NFNS, the people they have on now are pathetic.

---------

I see the Neely's are taking a car trip......Probably to get away from having to feed the clan every Sunday.....And really, how many BBQ recipes can you do?

I was waiting for BBQ ice cream....Really!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    so what did I miss on the Next Food Network Star? Is the Lisa creature gone yet? I think Nipa the Spice Queen should have been dumped last week after her little exit scene... last year's winner isn't even on food network anymore ...

It's now two weeks later and the Lisa creature is still there. I hate to admit this, but she is starting to grow on me. Jennifer was eliminated last night and I was not surprised. I am rooting for Shane and Kelsey, though. Lisa is too much like last year's winner (Amy).
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Thank heavens for Rick Stein
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

I had to laugh at the 90 second presentation of a meal that you didn't cook!

The 'judges' kept insisting that the presenter had to "take ownership" of the plate. How do you do that if you don't know what the F it is?

Udon noodles? Spaghetti? Whatever.....Here's a hint for the FN....try to give us a recipe where you can substitute foods. I am sure that udon noodles aren't too far off from any long flat noodles. You could put s on a shingle and serve it to me -I'm glad you thought enough of me to cook me a meal.

I still do not understand the challenges of trying to cook a 4 hour meal in 15 minutes- Turducken in 45 minutes? I start planning my Thanksgiving spread in mid October. It's patently unfair to expect someone to cook and impress you with a 45 minute meal-for me a 45 minute meal is usually a trip to McDonald's.

The snobbery and jabs are so over the top it's not funny. The long haired moron, Andrew Knowitall is the worst of the worst. How can a food "critic" possibly know anything about cooking? He just tastes stuff and compares it to the city/country where he ate it and how much better it tasted there.

----------------

Lisa is a princess and the kind of person that lines up all the pot handles on the stove so they look uniform while she cooks! Can you say retentive?

BTW,
    IN all the years I have watched TVFN they have never given any kind of shows-besides the Alton-Brown-buy-this-widget-for-150-bucks-to-core-green-apples that show you how to navigate inside a kitchen.

Even me, as a stupid male, know that if you want to open a glass jar you don't bang it on the counter. You grab a butter knife and tap the top at an angle, not straight on, but with a glancing tap. Spin the jar 90 degrees and tap again, four should do it an you don't have to throw away the duck comfit!

Quote Originally Posted by Brody's Mum View Post
    Thank heavens for Rick Stein
    I SO agree!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Even me, as a stupid male, know that if you want to open a glass jar you don't bang it on the counter. You grab a butter knife and tap the top at an angle, not straight on, but with a glancing tap. Spin the jar 90 degrees and tap again, four should do it an you don't have to throw away the duck comfit!
    I immediately thought the same thing - and thought that she would even DO that immediately would disqualify her from any television cooking show, unless it was a "what NOT to do" show! Good gracious, what was she thinking?

I was not surprised, and a little relieved that she got sent home.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I had to laugh at the 90 second presentation of a meal that you didn't cook!

The 'judges' kept insisting that the presenter had to "take ownership" of the plate. How do you do that if you don't know what the F it is?

Udon noodles? Spaghetti? Whatever.....Here's a hint for the FN....try to give us a recipe where you can substitute foods. I am sure that udon noodles aren't too far off from any long flat noodles. You could put s on a shingle and serve it to me -I'm glad you thought enough of me to cook me a meal.

I still do not understand the challenges of trying to cook a 4 hour meal in 15 minutes- Turducken in 45 minutes? I start planning my Thanksgiving spread in mid October. It's patently unfair to expect someone to cook and impress you with a 45 minute meal-for me a 45 minute meal is usually a trip to McDonald's.

The snobbery and jabs are so over the top it's not funny. The long haired moron, Andrew Knowitall is the worst of the worst. How can a food "critic" possibly know anything about cooking? He just tastes stuff and compares it to the city/country where he ate it and how much better it tasted there.

----------------

Lisa is a princess and the kind of person that lines up all the pot handles on the stove so they look uniform while she cooks! Can you say retentive?

BTW,
    IN all the years I have watched TVFN they have never given any kind of shows-besides the Alton-Brown-buy-this-widget-for-150-bucks-to-core-green-apples that show you how to navigate inside a kitchen.

Right on with everything, Richard!! The glass jar thing especially got me too. Stunts like that make me believe the whole thing is all fake and set up way ahead of time---Reallllllyyyyyy?????? Nobody is stupid enough to just beat the bejunior out of a glass jar like that. Nobody!! Too much of a coincidence. I would have been afraid of putting my own eyes out with flying glass, not to mention ruining the duck confit.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I forgot to mention......I think that new show is hosted by Ann Burrell(blonde). I think she's one of Mario Batali's sous chefs.

Also: What the heck are udon noodles??? Are we, as home cooks, supposed to know the difference when seeing them in a dish, as opposed to linguini, vermicelli, spaghetti, bla bla bla? What happened to the simplistic part of the concept of the NFNS?
    I can honestly say I've never heard of them.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    Also: What the heck are udon noodles??? Are we, as home cooks, supposed to know the difference when seeing them in a dish, as opposed to linguini, vermicelli, spaghetti, bla bla bla? What happened to the simplistic part of the concept of the NFNS?
    I can honestly say I've never heard of them.
    It's pasta spelled with two vowels and two letters?

One major peeve I have with the FN is the way they use/describe some of the ingredients.

Chorizo is two different things. In Spain it's a hard sausage-in Mexico it's a pork soft sausage that comes in a casing you have to remove before you cook it.

Some of the 'fad' Tex Mex fusion foods I never heard of, and I was raised on Mex food. Chipotles? Either canned or powdered, that must be a recent invention. Blue corn tortillas, meal or chips are a 'gourmet' offering-pricey when you come across the products.

---------------

I was watching a cooking show where they were comparing olive oil. One brand was almost 50 dollars a liter. 200 a gallon!
    Truffle oil or any flavored oil that's used in a recipe will cost you a pretty penny, if you can find them!

Tamarind paste? I love Thai food and wanted to cook up some Pad Thai. I had to search for a few weeks before I had all the ingredients for the recipe.

We recently got a Philipino/Chinese/Vietnamese/Japanese super market nearby. Lychee nuts? Looooong green beans? Tamarind? glass noodles? EVERYTHING!I feel really lucky because here in El Lay you can find pretty much anything. Not so easy in some parts of the country.

I am sure that most of the viewers have wanted to make a recipe they saw on the tube and were stymied by that one ingredient that they will never find on the local supermarket shelves.

We don't get a substitute option-and I can see why because of some of the recipes are really specific as to the taste or preperation-but sometimes the food and ingredients are way too pretentious to even think about preparing.

------------

And then there are the recipes/ingredients that make me wonder.

Honey is the new go-to-ingredient. Like the mango salso, chipotle- powdered and canned, cumin and adobo it shows up in everything. Taste any tomato product and try to taste the tomato over the sugars! I have to dump a can of hot tomato sauce into my spaghetti because the sweetness is so cloying,,

That is one reason that the nation is overweight and diabetic. Enough of the honey!

Recipes? I caught the end of a program-I think it was a R Ray trainwreck and she was serving up a rice, cooked in red wine and garnished with grapes. It looked like the scat of the Flying Purple People Eater!

------------

LOL, my last rant is about Protein, Savory and Sweet!

When I hear those terms I think about my biology/physiology classes. I think about a fricking DNA strand when I hear protein and see the picture of a tongue with the sweet/sour/bitter areas outlined on it. Food should be a simple pleasure-you eat what you like and want.

People like Alton Brown are interesting-but I don't need a primer on food and the chemical effects of a marinade breaking down the muscle fibers in flank steak.

Sometimes knowing too much science about food isn't the best way to go!

Richard, I've got to tell you that your knowledge of food is very impressive. I can only imagine how some of these FN shows must leave you shaking your head after listening to some of the nonsense they're talking about.
    I'm so gullible, anything is fascinating to me.

In my little samll town area, we can't find much of anything at the grocers. My sister can't even find Panchetta(spelling?). With Giada, it's a way of life.

I watched the Ann Burrell show this morning. Secrets Of A Restaurant Chef. Ann is a little rough around the edges isn't she? Totally different for the FN.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

It's spelled pancetta, and like Richard, I am lucky, because living in such an ethnically diverse area, there's pancetta at my grocery store - it's in the deli department, near the specialty cheeses.

As far as produce, I am also lucky - the really good produce market nearest me has more variety than I have ever heard of - there are Asian greens that I would have no idea what to do with, every kind of pepper you could wish for - you name it, they have it!

Yes, I am spoiled, but I know it. Example? You may be able to get bok choy, and maybe even baby bok choy. but can you get junior baby bok choy? I can, and it was one of Miss Hoppy's greens of choice!
    I've Been Frosted

I was very surprised by yesterday's "Next Food Network Star" episode. I won't say anything more in case others have not seen it yet - don't want to spoil it - but I was surprised.

Karen - what is junior baby bok choy? There is an Asian market near where I used to work, but it is always so crowded with shoppers of the different Asian nationalities that I chicken out from shopping there. Everyone seems to know exactly what they need (Shoppers on a Mission!); the market is always super busy. I usually go out right after I go in because I'm not sure where to start. On the other hand- There is a Polish grocer/butcher just a little way from my house, but I don't hesitate to dive into the fray there -- because I know more about what I'm shopping for! (Kielbasa and Polish rye, please and let me join the check-out line.)
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

You guys are so lucky. I love it when I find a shallot in the store.

Did anyone watch the NFNS last night? I can't pick the one I think will win at this point. They're all equally bad.

I noticed that Kelsey delegated too much out to Ricochet Rachel and after that, RR took over everybody's 4 minutes. One of them was dominated by her. Was that necessary because they needed help or just too much from her when not necessarily needed?
    I also noticed that none of the judges complained about her dominance.

Is it just me or does Kelsey do everything they suggest to her and then get criticized for doing it the "right way"?

I'm also wondering why Lisa keeps zoning out. Do any of these people have what it takes to entertain people in a 30 minute network show?

I am seeing the commercials for Road Tasted with the Neelys. Why are Jamie and Bobby not doing it anymore? From what I've heard/read, that show sent the business of the featured companies into instant boom. A couple of them said they couldn't keep up with demand after the shows were aired. I think the prices are far more than the average person can afford.

I'm guessing they had to get Gina out of the studio because she was upstaging everybody. Maybe the road will tame her a little? I doubt it. You're right, Richard, how many things can you BBQ? It was getting old.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

9 month old bok choy? Bok Choy would be like a romaine/celery cross.
    The stalks are like a crispy, wider celery - they are very good raw or cooked, like in a stir fry!

First,
    Cassiemom, What do you do for excitement?

This is your homework. One day take an hour of your time and go to the Asian market. LOL-think about the problems I had when I went into an Asian market for the first time! Imagine a tall, scruffy Mexican dude that looked like a cross between a hippy and a football player roaming the aisles! That was fun-for me!

Don't freak because of the 'bustle', take your time and check everything out.
    Pick a part of the store and do that section -start with the produce!

Here's a clue about the fruits and veggies section- Most of the stuff is just like what you find in a regular store, but with a foreign accent.

Although this isn't the time to waste money, I learned about food by buying a can or a few pieces of produce or veggies that looked like they were good, took them home and cooked/opened/prepared it.....but not before looking for some recipes or ways to prepare them-that is one thing I love about the 'net! Food at your fingertips.

Food shouldn't be intimidating. Imagine all the good stuff you'll never try if you don't take a chance.

Like cactus.
    Have you ever eaten cactus? With a scrambled egg and some red or green chile sauce? Like, who thought of that one? My RB GF couldn't get enough of nopales or menudo once she tried them. Nopales (No-pah-less) is paddle cactus, boiled and drained-taste like green beans! Menudo (Meh-new-doh) is tripe soup-pepper pot soup-made of tripe and hominy.That's really an aquired taste-I love it!

Take a chance, you won't regret it!

-----------

Karen.....LOL, what better thing to do than to go into the produce section of an Asian store, walk around, looking at things and saying, "What the..." There are some 'mutant' veggies and fruits but those add to the sensual experience. Touch, smell, sight.....and tastes-if you are sneaky and brave enough. The spice areas are the best, too!

--------

D&D,

Why were they crumbing on the "French food" kid? Wasn't that the biggest complaint about Amy from last year? They made her travels to France and bistros seem like a crime, then tell this kid he sucks because he's never been? The FN is desperately trying to find niche programs/ethnic cooks to fill their roster-but they don't see that niche programming runs it's course quickly.

Before I forget, anyone notice that Bobby Flay has an indifferent look/attitude when someone else cooks? If it's a recipe he can "borrow" he's all smiles, but when he tastes a dish and proclaims it "good" he acts like he could care less.

---------
    What is it with RR and her "CHEAP" comments? Check out how many references she makes towards being frugal while cooking.

--------

As far as the "on the road" programs that the FN does.

IT's all a matter of economics.

Any eatery will welcome the free publicity/commerical they can get from the TVFN channel. As you said-and like a RR segment when she travels-people will flock (little 'mindless sheep' joke there) to places that she recommends. Since RR ate there, WE HAVE TO GO!.....Look what a little publicity did for Dr. Kervorkian! Everyone wanted a consultation with him as the news spread!

The TVFN sends out a producer, camera people, sound engineer and the talent. They pay for rooms and salary.

Compare that with how much it costs to run a studio with the staff-TV and food prep, shopping, electricity-With the OTR programs, they go on-site and the restaurants ante up the food, kitchen areas and staff.....the 'talent' just show up and oh and ah about the dishes. They have minimal work to do, the restaurants get exposure and the network gets another show to put on.

The NFNS is really bad and I think it's just a filler/competition for Top Chef/Hell's kitchen.

Last night having the kids talk to the contestants for 10 minutes then disappear was really stupid. Why not have them deisgn a meal and feed it to a studio filled with kids instead of having the RR syncophants there? Why not do a dinner for the charity that RR 'runs'? There was no rhyme or reason for the 'challenge' last night.

---------

The new show "how did that get on my plate" made me laugh. I watched the promos for it and when the hosts bites into the strawberry I thought, "I know how that gets on your plate! The 'braceros' (farm workers) pick the fruit, box it, put it on a truck and it's delivered to your store......"

Can I have a show?

Oh, I almost forgot.....

They tell Kelsey not to mention she's a recent food school grad, but on the opening shots of the program she's known as a "recent food grad".

And what is a "Hospital caterer-food person"?

At the meetings I went to when I worked in a hospital, they gave you a chit to go to the cafeteria or a sandwich that was either brought in or prepped by the kitchen.

That sounds like a "biological waste control coordinator"-the guy that does the bedpans?