Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 3434445464748495051525354 LastLast

Thread: Had it with the Food Channel...

I started to really pay attention to him the week of the fashion challenge when he did the deconstructed beef stroganoff with the beet juice. I thought Giada's entire team was interesting and fun. I loved what was said on the finale about the nerds, cheerleaders and jocks.

When the president was announcing the results she mentioned four and a half million - I wonder if that was votes or people voting. I only voted on Monday and Tuesday, but I used all ten votes each of those two days. Four and a half million votes would seem more like it to me. Interesting that his show won't start airing immediately- haven't past winners been on the air with their new shows within a week or two of the finale? I wonder what the final vote counts were, if it was a landslide or if it was really close. I'd watch any of their shows but the one I would be least likely to watch is Martie just because I don't entertain a lot. They've got two complete networks plus their Web site, so surely they can find some way to use the runners-up.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 07-24-2012 at 06:43 AM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

The new season of "Food Network Star" started tonight. I was impressed by Pie Guy and "meat on the side" girl. Least impressed by model turned private chef. We'll see what happens...

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

We watched it, too - several interesting folks, and several I think will not last ...
    I've Been Frosted

I think the right person was eliminated tonight. I think one particular statement that this person said during the challenge, was a contribution to the outcome.

I liked that the guy with the hat had something complimentary to say about each of the competitors.

Spaghetti Western guy's teammates saved him tonight.

I am very confused by this whole Paula Deen thing. It sounds to me like she was sued for a hostile work environment by a former employee and things got worse from there. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.

Paula Deen was not renewed because of admittedly using "the n-word" in public, which came to light in her testimony regarding the lawsuit being brought against her connected to her restaurants.

I thought the right person went home tonight, considering not only the failure of the dish tonight, but all other cooking challenges. Seems like all style no substance, sadly. I didn't dislike that person, but odd choices were made, and resulted in that contestant's downfall.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I am very confused by this whole Paula Deen thing. It sounds to me like she was sued for a hostile work environment by a former employee and things got worse from there. The bigger they are, the harder they fall.
    I saw a good column by Dawn Turner Trice about this. She makes the point that things were different when paula Deen was growing up in the south. However, as a celebrity and a business owner, she had a responsibility to not let that carry over into her restaurant; but it did and was witnessed by other people. I'm not explaining it well, but it was a good column.

I have to admit I didn't get the "Star Salvation" thing. One of the eliminated competitors was brought back but I missed how that came about. I thought both teams missed the key question about the "secret ingredient".

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I have to admit I didn't get the "Star Salvation" thing. One of the eliminated competitors was brought back but I missed how that came about. I thought both teams missed the key question about the "secret ingredient".
    "Star Salvation" was shown online online - and was mostly a cooking competition, from the ones we saw. We have cable, so it was available in the "on demand" section.

And yeah, I was surprised neither team picked up on that, some of them seem so intent on presenting themselves they forgot they were there to present the guest!

I did think the right person left, that person seems more suited to something else - maybe being a QVC presenter or something.
    I've Been Frosted

I don't agree with this week's outcome. I liked the eliminated person's point of view. We'll see what happens next week, though.

I watched a few seconds of NFNS and can't watch it anymore, especially with Alton Brown.

He's such a downer and mean spirited moron.

The rest of the judges really don't have a clear, concise idea of what they want for the 'new show' and contradict themselves so many times over the course of a season.

----------------

Re: Paula Deen?

People are quick to forgive her using the N-word all those years ago, but they seem to lose track about her allowing her employees to use it, while on the clock.

It came out that the cooks/chefs/kitchen employees were using it freely in the back. She also wanted her black women employees to dress up like Aunt Jemima while making biscuits and as a promo to get people into the place.

There is one woman, a cook, who worked for 20 years with Deen. She was the originator of a few of the eatery's signature dishes and was told that when deen hit the big-time, she'd be taken care of. Apparently her work was never acknowledge and she was never pair more than 10 dollars an hour.

There also was a problem with white workers being paid more than the black employees.

It's a mess and one that will take some time and a different tack to overcome her problems.

I was not surprised at who went home this week on the Next Food Network Star, but at little amused by her parting comment! A cute name is not enough to achieve stardom!
    I've Been Frosted

I didn't really like any of the pilots. The one I liked least was the person I expected to like the most, and the concept that I thought I could learn the most from. Can I have Yvan or Michele back from last year?

For once I do not have a preference - they managed to take the proposed shows and twist them into formulaic stuff ... I think Maris's could be fun, think they chose a bad example for Russell's one - he didn't change anything out their dish, just went to an ice cream place and made ice cream - hardly revolutionary ... and thought Rodney's pie may have tasted good, but looked kinda gross ... this IS television, folks. His seems exactly like the Sandwich King concept that won a couple years ago ...
    I've Been Frosted

And the winner is ... the person I expected to win; meh. Doubt I'd watch this person's show anyhow. The whole season was kind of "meh" for me.
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 08-11-2013 at 11:57 PM.