Thread: Sharing Your Love

Sharing Your Love

Now that we have our three furkids, I am finding it really hard to share my time with them individually. Basil is ALWAYS at my heals wherever I go...I tell my hubby that I am "Momma Duck".

So, my question is, how do you all shared your love equally between your cats? I hate when Noah and I are being lovey and he gets put off with Basil walking up. The same with Noel, Basil HAS to sleep on me at night but when Noel jumps up to lay on my legs and see's Basil, she jumps back down.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I know how you feel I have that with Corskcrew and Tibby. They both love playing the chase the feather game. If I bring out the feather wand for Corkscrew it takes a few seconds before Tibby is there or vise versa. And I feel bad because Corkscrew is so much bigger than Tibby that she doesn't get to play. So now once a dat I put Corkscrew in the bathroom with some treats or a little bit of canned food and play feather with Tibby for a little while. Then when Corkscrew is done with his treats I let him out and put Tibby in the bathroom with treats and it's her turn to play. It seems to work at really well.
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

I have cats that prefer me at different times. Georgia is the night time bed time cat. When I lay down to read, she jumps up. So, that is time she and I have. Dakky and Tenny will share the bed with me, and usually each other- though Dakky will chase him off. So, I see them in the am and pm while still in bed. Then, Allie is the morning bathroom cat, and Tex joins us, most of the time. With Tex being the alpha cat, he kinda makes his way to me whenever he feels like it, and the others stay away. I have problems with Minnie, as she stays in the basement, but she is the first cat I greet and leave, since the garage opens off there.

So, I guess my strategy is to take the time the cats have decided is 'their' time, and I just make sure I touch everyone everyday. I wish there was a way to curb the bully love behavior that Dakky exhibits, but I haven't found one yet. He is so bold! Tenny will be laying on my chest (all 16 pounds), and Dakky will come bounding over. Shoot, he nearly upsets me!

I just try to spread my attention around to all 3 of my cats. Sunny always wants to be the center of attention so I sometimes have to ignore him while I'm giving Pepper or Storm my attention. In the morning Sunny and Pepper get a lot of attention since they are morning cats. Storm gets most of his attention in the afternoon or evenings. I always say goodbye to all 3 and greet all 3 when I get home from work. I usually don't have any problems unless Storm and Sunny want attention at the same time. Since Storm is the alpha cat, Sunny has learned to back down and walk away. Maybe in time Basil will learn to share his attention with Noel and Noah. Which one is the alpha cat? Good luck.

I know what you mean, my probelm is a bit different Cam is the lone cat in a house with 2 dogs and a rabbit. The dogs always want attention and if they think that attention is being givento Cam orthe bunnie the come running and will not leave.

Cam has his own really ig area downstairs where the dogs cannot go, so when he is down there I will go and sit with him and watch him eat and bruch him etc. He also gets the attention first thing in the morning cause the bathroom is in his area and last thing at night.

And when he wants attention at other times he'll tell me and will come and cuddle and swat at the dogs.

I think your situation is a bit different in that Basil is really a baby compared to your other kids. Babies need a little more attention I think. I was feeling bad about paying more attention to Calvin than Hobbes too. They are brothers and the same age. Calvin is a small slinky lovebug where Hobbes is a big and fluffy and very mellow. Never demanding attention and doing his own thing. Lately I've made sure that everytime I tell Calvin I love him or give him pets and attention (that he demands!) I do the same for Hobbes. It seems to have lessend his aggresion toward Calvin a bit.

Noah is our alpha cat....it's HIS home, according to him. He is even snippy with guests.

I did what you recommended cataholic, I spent time with each cat separtley. I guess it works becuase Noel sat on my lap while I put my make up on this morning. So cute!!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Try splitting your time between SIX cats!!! I try to do a group "playtime" with mine. The older ones sometimes join in (although at this point, Casey is still protesting the move to Michigan by hiding). They LOVE the teaser wand and it poops them out.

Sometimes I will also take one kitty out at a time and give them "mommy" time individually. Even if it's only for 5 or 10 minutes each, they seem to be happy.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Sharing that love and affection

I have three cats also. Never thought about it but I had three children(all adults now) and I do the same thing with the cats I did with them.

I give each one attention at different times and in different ways just like most folks on this website have already mentioned. One thing with the kids though was that I tried to give more attention to positive behavior and less to negative behavior. Same with the kitties now, if that makes sense? I have noticed though if one gets too much attention the others feel neglected and tend to act up or treat each other badly. They get along better if each gets his or her loving in his or her way. Then I have a husband who gives them attention too. That helps a great deal.

Attached Images Attached Images